Antique Shops - key feature of local trade for decades.

Assembly Room - social venue sifrom c.1788.

Banks - from their start in Hungerford in 1818 to their decline locally.

Barracks at Highclose - a local military focus since the early 18th century.

Bear Hotel - one of the grand coaching inns of England, with records from 1464 (or earlier).

Bell Foundry - casting church bells in the early 17th century.

Berkshire Trout Farm (Dun Mill) - farming trout locally since 1907.

Blacksmiths and Farriers - vital artisans in a rural town on major coaching routes.

Blindhouse - the town lock-up in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Boarden Carriage - a curiously named footpath off Bridge Street.

Bridge Street properties - detailed records of over 25 properties, some back to 1470.

Bridges of Hungerford - links to the many and varied bridges - some with intriguing names.

Buttermarket - key feature of the market place in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Canal - a large section describing the history of the Kennet and Avon Canal.

Chantries - the chantry chapels in St. Lawrence's Church.

Charnham Street properties - detailed records of over 40 properties, some back to the 15th century.

Chilton Factory - the 1959 factory and the earlier history of Chilton and the famous monoplane.

Church Street Properties - records of some of the 50 properties.

Church Way (Dog Hill) - one resident's memory of living there.

Churches - a large section linking to all the past and present churches and chapels in the town.

Cinema - all about the 1934 cinema and how Hungerford residents watched films before it was built.

Clubs and Groups - a large section covering the history of over 50 clubs and groups in the town.

Cockpit - description of Hungerford's cockpit - a popular pastime in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Coffee Houses - the 19th century coffee houses  in Hungerford.

Combe - the village and its history.

Combe Gibbet - the prominent landmark near the highest point in southern England.

Common Fields of Hungerford - details and maps showing the 20+ historic common fields around Hungerford.

Common Port Down - all about Hungerford's wonderful common to the east of the town.

Cow Lane (Park Street) - the ancient route from Newbury and some of its buildings.

Croft (Church Croft) - the village green of the original medieval vill of Hungerford.

Croft Hall (formerly Church House) - built on the site of the old Grammar School.

Culver Acre - a medieval property which later became The Three Swans.

Cycle Shops - details of nine cycle shops in the town.

Domesday Manors around Hungerford - transcriptions of the local Domesday entries.

Dye House - key part of the local cloth indistry in the 15th-17th centuries.

Eddington - the historic village north of the river Kennet, its trades, indistries and properties.

Faulknor Square - the origins and properties in this square off Charnham Street.

Fertiliquid / Vickers Armstrong factories - vital local employer during and after the Second World War.

Freeman's Marsh - all about this SSSI area of common land to the west of the town.

Gas Works - the stormy saga of building the gas works, and its history of over 100 years.

Great Estates around the town - the town is surrounded by historical large estates. Find them here.

Great Western Mill, Church Street - a large employer in the town in the mid 20th century - destroyed by fire in 1960

Ham Spray House and The Bloomsbury Group - fascinating insight into their life locally.

Harvey's Meadow - 30 acres of SSSI to the north-east of the town. Part of the Town & Manor estate.

High Street properties - detailed records of over 130 properties, some back to 1470.

Hopgrass Farm - 1,000 years of history of this local estate.

Hospital (Park Street) - the Union workhouse, and other earlier workouses.

Inns & Alehouses - links to over 40 inns, pubs and alehouses, some lost, many still trading.

Iron Foundries - all about the two very important iron foundries in Hungerford, starting in 1824.

Isolation Hospital - where infectious illnesses were treated.

Kennet Valley Nature Reserve - 40 acres of wetland being developed as a nature reserve

Labour Exchange - 

Laundry - The Hungerford Sanitary Laundry Company - a big employer in the early 20th century.

Leper House - our first isolation facility - dating from before 1232.

Leverton - the hamlet near Chilton Foliat, dating from Domesday.

Libraries - from the late Victorian period until now.

Listed Buildings - over 125 listed buildings (three are Grade II*) - a large number for a town of this size.

Mains Sewerage and Drainage Scheme - the major utility works, opened in 1909.

Manor Brewery - Hungerford's largest brewery, built in 1832 (where Tesco supermarket is now).

Manor of Hungerford Engleford - One of Hungerford's several Domesday manors.

Marina - the proposed marina at near Highclose Farm.

Marsh Gate Properties - the varied properties adjacent to Marsh Gate (Freeman's Marsh).

Newtown - the historic hamlet north of Hungerford, originally the Domesday manor of Hidden.

Open-air Swimming Pool - all about this popular venue between 1964-67.

Ordnance Depot at Picket Field, 1813-14 - built to store 106,000 barrels of gunpowder.

Other Historic Fields, Close and Lands - a link to many historic places around the town.

Other Local Farms and Estates - a link to many historic sites around the town.

Other Roads in Hungerford - information on many of Hungerfords roads not having separate entries.

Park Street (previously Cow Lane) - the ancient route from Newbury and some of its buildings.

Pest House - the isolation hospital at Marsh Gate.

Police Station - covering law and order from the early 19th century to now.

Priory (off Priory Road) - The Victorian villa built by the Platt family near historic "Priory" land.

Priory of St. John the Baptist - the medieval priory built on the island in present-day Bridge Street by 1232.

Racecourse - the horse-race course on Hungerford Common.

Railway - an extensive section of the history of the Berks and Hants railway and later events.

River Shalbourne - Hungerford's "secret" river. 

Roman Roads - and an outline of the Roman occupation locally.

Sanden Fee - a key part of the town and Manor estate. Land to the south and west of the town.

Schools - links to details of over 40 schools over the past 400 years.

Sewerage and Mains Drainage Scheme - the major utility works, opened in 1909.

Stocken Street - a historic street first mentioned c.1300 but lost by 1600.

Tannery, Charnham Street - key focus of the local leather industry.

Town Halls - large section about Hungerford's four town halls.

Town Pond - vital part of fire-fighting in the upper part of the town.

Trade Directories - primary sources of information about the town from 1790 onwards.

Vicarage - the building adjacent to St. Lawrence's Church.

Vickers Armstrong / Fertiliquid factories - vital local employer during and after the Second World War.

War Memorial - all about the site in Bridge Street, with links to other memorials and the men who died.

War Memorial Recreation Ground - the story behind this special area of the town.

Watermills and Windmills - the powerhouses in the town and the surrounding area.

Waterworks - the installation in 1903 and its expansion since.

Wessex Electricity Company - the introduction of electricity in Hungerford in the 1920s.

Workhouses - the Union workhouse, and other earlier workouses.

Can't find what you want?

Try the Search option (top of screen).

See also:

- Extracts from Pevsner "Buildings of England - Berkshire", 1966