You are in [Themes] [Trade Directories] [Trade Directories pre-1840] [Universal British Directory, 1792]

This is a transcription of the Hungerford entry in the Universal British Directory, London, 1792.

Hungerford, said by Camden to have been anciently called lngleford Charnham Street.

A small clean town situated near, though not directly on the Great Bath Road. Has a weekly market on every Wednesday for corn, pigs and butcher’s meat and a statute fair on the 10th August and one for cattle, the last Wednesday of April. There are many wealthy shopkeepers, who reside here, but no manufactory is carried on. An attempt was made, some years ago, to employ the parish poor in the workhouse in weaving coarse woollen stuffs, and a loom was put up at great expense, but whether owing to mismanagement or otherwise, this truly laudable undertaking fell to the ground.

The Church. The church is very ancient, and has been built at different times. An old inscription to the Memory of Robert de Hungerford, in Norman French sufficiently proves its antiquity. The following is a translation: "Whoever shall pray for Mr. Robert de Hungerford, he shall have whilst he lives, and for his soul after his death, 550 days of pardon, granted by 14·bishops whilst he (Robert de Hungerford) was living. Wherefore in the name of charity say, Pater nosters and Ave Marias - Obit 28 Edward III AD 1354.
The present incumbant is the Rev. John Clarke, son of the late Baron Clarke, one of the barons of the exchequer.
On the walk leading to the church is the free grammar school, founded and endowed by the Rev. Sheef in 1636, who gave the ground and house. Mrs. Cummin (a widow) and Mr. Hamblin, endowed the school with 17 l. per annum for four boys and three girls, also a provision for a grammar master.
Edward Chapps, (commonly known by the name of Trusty) an ancient servant of the family of Hungerford, left 50 1. for the building of a new school room, and 4 l. per annum as an addition to the master's salary, from Chantry-mead, given by the above Mr. Hamblin.
The Church Croft was given for the use of the boys.
A Sunday School has been attempted here, but it did not succeed.

1762 Murder. In the year 1762 a .shocking murder was committed in this town on the bodies of Mr. Cheeney and his wife, an old couple who had resided here for many years.

Three Swans. The principal and indeed the only inn in the town is the Three Swans, which is supposed to be the oldest inn in England. There are several good public houses for accommodation or travellers and others.

Roads. The turnpike road to Salisbury and Oxford lies through Hungerf'ord: the distance to each place is 28 miles. The road to Bath is through Charnham Street, which is in Wiltshire, and though not in the town is in Hungerford Parish.

Inns. In Charnham Street is a well accustomed inn, known by the sign the Black Bear, and two smaller ones, the White Hart and Red Lion.

Post Office. The post Office is in Charnham street, where mail coaches go through, the high road to Bath, Bristol, and Exeter, they leave the bags at Hungerford from London, Maidenhead, Reading,and Newbury, about half past four in the morning, and take the Marlborough, Calne , Chippenham, Bath, and Bristol bags. On their return to t own they reach Hungerford about eleven o’clock at night, and take the London, Maidenhead, Reading, and Newbury, leaving the Bristol, Bath, Chippenham, Calne, and Marlborough bags, the downward post every night in the week, no post goes from Hungerford to London on Saturdays consequently the London mail does not come in til the Tuesday morning.
The postage from London to Hungerford is 4d, from Hungerford to Maidenhead 4d, to Reading 3d, to Newbury 2d, Marlborough 2d, Chippenham 3d, Bath and Bristol 4d.
The Bath and Bristol mail coaches change horses at Hungerford, as do two of three other coaches, there being eight or ten that pass daily through the town except Saturday.
The fare from Hungerford to London is 18s, to Bath and Bristol 13s.




Clarke Rev. John - Vicar


Condell Joseph – Surgeon
Duke Edward – Surgeon
Lucas William – Apothecary
Smith Matthew Loader – Surgeon


Deadman John - Attorney
Munday Seymour – Attorney


Andrews – Master of Grammar School
Bird J - Farmer
Bird – E Baker
Bear D - Innkeeper (Three Swans)
Bear F - Shoemaker
Bance M – Silversmith & Watchmaker
Bannister - Collar Maker
Brown - Gardener & Shopkeeper
Burgh - Ironmonger
Burton - Blacksmith
Blake – Innkeeper (Red Lion)
Barnes - Schoolmistress
Clements - Shopkeeper
Coxhead - Baker
Coxhead - Shopkeeper
Coxhead - Milliner
Coxhead - Shopkeeper
Coxhead - Bricklayer
Cadman - Shoemaker
Church - Mercer & Draper
Church - Brazier & Florist
Chesterman - Victualler (Swan)
Dismore E. - Carpenter & Wheelwright
Dismore J. – Carpenter & Wheelwright
Dismore N. - Mantua- maker
Duke - School mistress
Dubber C - Shoemaker
Dubber W - Shoemaker
Edmonds - Shopkeeper
Ellis - Joiner & Baker
Fulbrook - Leather Breeches Maker
Faulkner – Broker & Auctioneer
Franklin – Butcher
Frankham – Gardener
Fardon – Ginger Bread Maker
Fowler- Horse Dealer
Gibbs – Broker
Gibbs - Hairdresser
Gibbs - Glazier
Hawksworth - Grocer & Hatter
Hidden - Shoemaker
Hidden - Button Maker
Hillier - Miller
Heath - Innkeeper (White Hart)
Johnson - Taylor
Kimber - Victualler (Crown)
Lydiard - Maltster
Lye - Taylor
Laye - - Blacksmith
Marchmont - Leather & Breeches Maker
Miller - Shopkeeper
Hiller - Schoolmaster
Mitchell - Cooper
Mitchell - Peruke Maker
Peofly - Victualler
Pocock – Broker
Pocock – Carpenter & Joiner
Pocock – Carpenter & Joiner
Petit - Breeches Maker
Pike H. - Victualler
Pike T. - Peruke Maker
Pike W. - Carpenter
Powditch - Postmistress
Vickerman - Butcher
Walker - Cooper
Walker -Farmer
Watson - Farmer
Welburn - School Master
Wheldon - Cordwainer
Whiting - Farmer
Williamson - Cordwainer
Wilson – Farmer
Witty - Farmer