Earliest information: 1470
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (24 ft; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building: 18th century
Grade II Listed
Common rights; quit rent 4d (later 6d).
1470 Helme -> Drew -> Hayward -> Clydesdale alias Hidden -> c.1609 fire becomes part of The King's Head tavern. Along with 13 Bridge Street, it was rebuilt c1705 and again c1780. Boardman -> Jenkins -> Butler -> Palmer -> Low (plumber, glazier) -> Kittel -> Burchett -> Bates, antiques -> Styles silver.
Description of Property:
From Listed Building records: House, now house and shop. 18th century. Tiled roof, one gabled dormer, brick dentil course to eaves, walls painted render. T-plan with rear wing at right angles to road. 2 storeys and attic. 3 unevenly spaced glazing bar sashes with exposed frames and cambered heads, the central one being wide. Ground floor: to left 6 panel door under rectangular fanlight in door-case of engaged columns and open pediment, to centre canted bay with glazing bar sashes, to right plain door with cambered head.
- 12 Bridge Street, Mar 2007
- A typical rural scene by the local painter Charles Low, RA. Charles was born in 1841, and his parents Charles and Elizabeth Low lived at 12 Bridge Street between 1840 and 1881. Charles snr was a plumber and glazier, and the business was taken over by their other son Frederick Low until c1914. Many paintings by Charles Low, RA are held in private hands in Hungerford.
- Bridge Street, c1900
- Scratched record of clock repair by Tyrrell, Bridge Street, Jun 1976 (sent by Bob Manix, Aug 2020).
- Styles Silver, 12 Bridge Street, Aug 2018.
<1470 (NH) Thomas Helme (and 13 BS)
1470 (NH) Thomas Drew (and 13 BS)
<1525 (NH) William Hayward
1526 (NH) William Hayward died. Property passes to John Clydesdale (alias Hidden).
?1550 Roger Clifford (tenant)
1552 Roger Hornsey (tenant)
1558 (NH) George Hidden (son of John Hidden), portrieve.
1573 (NH) John Hidden dies, property passes to son George Hidden.
1573 (NH) George Hidden (owner), George Toggie (tenant). This George Hidden may have been MP for Great Bedwyn in the Parliament elected January 1558, although it is believed that the Parliament may not actually have held a sitting! He also held office in Hungerford as portreeve.
c.1609 (NH) Fire at number 12. George Hidden sells properties in Hungerford and leaves. Unclear whether before or after the fire. 12 becomes amalgamated with The King's Head (13 BS) next door.
1609 (NH) John Boardman (or Bordman) has freehold of 12 HS & 13 HS. 12 HS "lately burned" becomes extension of tavern – The King's Head.
1676 (Deed 11BS) Isaac Jenkins, glazier.
1690 (Deed 11BS) Joseph Butler.
1753-61 (QR) Joseph Allen for his upper house, q.r. 4d.
1774-80 (QR) Widow ..?.. for her house ..?.., q.r. 4d
1781 (CL) ?Aliss Wyberd
1795-1804 (QR) Company of the Kennet and Avon Canal , "for the other house late General Williamson's, q.r. 6d.
1836 (QR) G.W.R.for "the other house formerly Gen. Williamsons", q.r. 6d.
1.8.1839 (DD) 21-year lease by Kennet & Avon Canal Co to James Palmer, baker.
1841 (CS) James Palmer, baker.
20.12.1843 (DD) James Palmer gave 21-year lease to Charles Low, plumber & glazier, including "all buildings, common rights, gardens and use of pew in Hungerford Church belonging to the premises" for £25 per annum. Also mentions cellar, one "shelf pump" and stone sink. [There is no trace of cellar now].
[Charles and Elizabeth Low. Their son, Charles Low born 1841, was an artist who exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1885, 91, 93 and 94. Died 1902. Details of his exhibitions are in the Parish magazines of those years]
1847 (CL) James Palmer (own); Charles Low (occ)
1851 (CS) Charles Low (38), plumber.
1861 (CL) James Palmer (own); Charles Low (occ)
16.6.1865 (DD) James Palmer conveyed to Charles Low for £370. Palmer was a Berkshire baker, now of Troy Town, Rochester, Kent. Charles Low (painter). Deeds mention "Deed Poll under common seal of the Kennet & Avon Canal Navigation Co in pursuance of Act of Parliament in 34th year of George III (ie 1794) to make a navigable canal from River Kennet at or near Newbury to River Avon at or near Bath, and certain navigable cuts therein described, and other Act of Parliament in the 49th year (ie 1809), an Act to enable the company to raise sufficient sum of money to complete said canal and amending several Acts for making the same - Company therefore sold 12 Bridge Street under this Act in 1839). ..on west side of Bridge Street (heretofore called High Street) bounded on the North side by certain messuages and land heretofore of David Orchard, now belonging to and in occupation of William Arman and his undertenants, East by Bridge Street, South and West by messuages and garden and other property belonging to Kennet & Avon Canal Co in occupation of Thomas Wooldridge". Charles Low expressley declared no woman who may become his widow would be entitled to dower (ie any of his estate).
3.7.1865 (DD) House mortgaged by Charles Low to Sarah Harrison, widow of Hungerford for £300 at 5% pa.
1871 (CS) Charles Low (58 yrs) and 7 men.
13.2.1874 (DD) Mortgage of 1865 repaid by Charles Low
18.7.1879 (DD) Charles Low died.
1881 (CS) Elizabeth Low (71 yrs) widow
5.12.1883 (DD) Elizabeth Low died. Son Charles Low inherited by his parents will.
28.5.1885 (DD) Conveyance from Charles Low jnr to Frederick Low (plumber and painter), for £370. (Property to North now belonging to and occupied by William Robbins (boot & show maker), South and West still owned by Kennet & Avon Canal Co, now occupied by Jane Wooldridge)
29.5.1885 (DD) Frederick Low conveyed property to William Luker Low, silk mercer of 191 High Street, Borough, Surrey. (Repaid £100 on 29.9.1886; £100 on 22.3.1889; £50 on 26.12.1890 and £120 on 12.1.1893).
1891 (KD) Frederick Low, plumber, glazier.
1896 (CL) Frederick Low
1902 (T&M Register) Frederick Low (owner until 1938)
1914 (CL) Frederick Low (owner and occupant).
1932 (QR) G.W.R. amended to Wooldridge for "the other house formerly Gen. Williamsons", q.r. 6d.
19.2.1938 (DD) Frederick Low died. By his will it passed to his cousin Emily Low
1939 (T&M Register) Emily Low (owner until 1967)
1939 (Blacket's) F. Low
1939 Emily Low (died 1947)
1947 (CL) Miss Emily Low
5.5.1947 (DD) Emily Low died at 12 Bridge Street. Probate to solicitors.
See also: Letter from Graham Low 18 Sep 2000 including notes on Low family.
21.8.1947 (DD) Conveyed to Paul Bruno Kittel, surgeon of 5 Fenchurch Street, London, for £2,350.
1947 Paul Kittel (died 1953), surgeon.
1952 (CL) Paul Bruno Kittel
5.1.1953 (DD) Paul Kittel died. Widow Dorothy Kittel inherited. (1991: She was born in London. 1st husband was a GP in east London - he died of rheumatic fever. She trained as a science teacher, and taught for some time in Africa. 2nd husband Paul Kittel was a surgeon at Barts. They came to Hungerford in 1947. She taught at the infant school in Fairview Road 1958-62, moved to Dobbins, 88 High Street in ?1978.)
1956 (CL) Dorothy Rose Kittel
25.5.1956 (DD) Conveyed to Jim and June Burchett, (film strip producer of 89 Albert Bridge Road, Battersea) for £3,250. ( Part was let as opticians shop, and later a clock and watch repairers.)
1963-1976 (CL) James Godfrey Burchett
1968 (T&M Register) June Burchett (owner), James Godfrey Burchett (occupier) until 1978.
c1975 (Patsy Styles) Mr & Mrs Tyrrell (occ) selling and repairing clocks. (They had previously had a unit in the Hungerford Arcade, near Patsy Styles, soon after August 1974). The Tyrrells had been very busy in the arcade, almost selling clocks as soon as they brought them in. They were only there for a short time before renting 12 Bridge Street from Mrs Burchett. They didn't stay there long either before they moved to ?Lee-on- Solent.)
Jun 1976 Scratch mark on repaired clock by Tyrrell, Bridge Street.
1978 Keith and Pat Bates, antiques (rented shop for 1 year before moving to 112 High Street).
Styles Silver, 1979-present:
4.4.1979 Conveyed to Derek and Patsy Styles - Styles Silver
1979 (T&M Register) Derek Allan Styles & patricia Cynthia Styles (owners and occupiers).
1984 (CL) Derek Allan Styles
1985 (CL) Derek Allan Styles
1988 Styles (D & P Styles) "Specialists in silver of all periods, thimbles to canteens. Christening and wedding presents - valuations, repairs and advice".
2000 (CL) Derek Allan Styles
2005 (CL) Derek Allan Styles
2011 (CL) Derek Allan Styles