Abstracted from an unknown document in Stewart Hofgartner's collection:
...the present kennels at Walcot, and bred up a sterling pack of Hounds, which achieved a marvellous reputation. On his retirement in 1870 it is a matter of history that the Hounds were purchased by Mr. John Coupland, who was just commencing his long and famous Mastership of the Quorn, an r.ra that will ever be associated with the name of Tom Firr, who was appointed huntsman by Mr. Coupland. The latter's choice both of Hounds and huntsman proved brilliant, and the glory of the Quorn at this time was reflected on the Craven country from which they came. It has been stated that the famous Quorn Alfred was descended from the Craven, being bred by Tom Firr, but this I think is a mistake, for Quorn Alfred was actually bred by Mr. T. C. Garth in his own kennels, and came to the Quorn as a whelp.
On Mr. Willes's retirement in 1871, Mr. J. L. Francklin, who had had the Mastership of the South Notts for the three previous seasons, took the Craven for a season, and was succeeded in 1872 by Mr. Harcourt Capper. During his Mastership of five seasons, Mr. Capper bred up a very good pack of Hounds, which on his retirement in 1877 became the property of the country, thus assuring the future stability of the kennel. In that year Mr. Willes came back to the Mastership, in association with Mr. W . H. Dunn, and in these competent hands the work of the previous Master in the matter of Hound breeding was carried on and brought to full fruition.
There followed a Mastership of one season of Mr. R. E. Weymiss, and in 1880 Sir R. F. Sutton commenced his Mastership of seven seasons, during which excellent sport was maintained.
In 1887 another great Hound breeder, Major Gerald Craven Ricardo took office, and by this time the Craven kennel was raised to the very first rank, the seal being set on its fame by the Craven Vagabond, by Warwickshire Hermit, who was Champion Dog Hound at Peterborough in 1894, and whose blood has been much sought after by other kennels.
Major Ricardo was succeeded in 1892 by Mr. E. R. Portal, a member of a well-known sporting family in Hampshire, and three seasons later Mr. Dunn came back for a second term of office, and remained for five seasons. In 1900 Mr. Lionel Barlow took the Hounds, but on his death two seasons later, no Master being forthcoming, the Committee took charge for two seasons, Mr. Dunn taking on the duties of acting Master.
Two short Masterships followed, that of Mr. de F. Pennefather for one season, 1904-5, during which Major Ricardo was Field Master and Mr. Peter Ormrod the following season, who hunted Hounds himself, and was followed in 1906 by Mr. W. J. Yorke Scarlett.
Mr. Yorke Scarlett remained for eleven seasons and showed excellent sport, having Fred Funnell as his hunts man. There were fifty couple of Hounds in kennel at this time, and Hounds were out three days a week. In 1908 Mr. Yorke Scarlett was joined in the Mastership by Mr. J. A. Fairhurst, and the two remained in office together till 1919, after which Mr. Fairhurst carried on alone for another two seasons. In 1923 Mr. Yorke Scarlett obtained a loan of country from the Tedworth and founded the Tedworth Woodland country, which he hunts at the present time.....
- Craven Hunt brochure, 1938 (from Stewart Hofgartner)
- Menu for Savernake Stag Hunt Annual Ball in Hungerford, 10 Feb 1899. (from Stewart Hofgartner)