You are in [Themes] [Medicine in Hungerford]
In the 21st century we take it for granted that there are General Practitioners in almost every town and hospitals within half an hour's travelling distance. This situation, however, has only become commonplace since the mid 20th century.
This part of the Virtual Museum illustrates how the modern medical model has evolved through the ages, by following the local story.
The history is split into several articles:
- The Early Days - from the 13th century
- The Start of Organised Medicine - from 1550 to c1830
- Local Hospitals (including more distant ones used by Hungerford residents)
- The Surgery (photo added to the John o'Gaunt School Time Capsule Project), 16 Jun 1989.
- The Surgery staff, on the occasion of Frances Francis' retirement, Sep 1991.
- The Surgery, Jun 1997 [Ivor Speed].
- The Community Health Centre, Jul 1998.
- The Surgery, Jul 1998.
- "History of Medicine in Hungerford" by Dr Hugh Pihlens, 1991 [HHA Archive N36]
- "History of Medicine in Hungerford" by Dr Hugh Pihlens, 2006 [HHA Archive N37]