Earliest information: 1654
Common Rights? No
Date of current building: 1914
Pollern (1654) -> Earle's Engineering Workshop -> The Post Office (1914)
Description of property:
- Crown Post Office, 126 High Street, Feb 2007
- Lower High Street c1908 showing Earle's engineering workshop on the left - later demolished for the Crown Post Office to be built.
- Crown Post Office, 126 High Street, Jun 1990 (John Allen).
- Crown Post Office, Jul 2014
1654 (NH re 125 HS) In 1654 it was presented that Thomas King, with his paths and his rails (or railings) has encroached upon the garden ground of Tobias Pollerne "in two several places at least a foot in breadth and 5 lugs in length" (WRO 490/1542). The site of Tobias Pollerne's house and garden is identifiable with present day 126HS.
<1914 Earle's Engineering Workshop
1914 New Crown Post Office built on site of Earle's engineering workshop. Moved from 14 High Street.
1914 property bought from Mrs Nellie Hawkes by George Belcheno Tutt & Bertram George Howard for £450. The Tutts were builders, and they built the post office building, and leased it to HM Postmaster General in December 1914. The PO subsequently (?when) acquired the freehold from F.R. Stoneham. The PO land backed onto Mr. Astley's land, with Mrs Hawkes to the north, and Mrs Gibbons to the south. South Berks Brewery was at the end of the south boundary. (See Correspondence with the Post Office, 1984 - including property transfer 13th Nov 1914)
1939 (Blacket's) General Post office (H.G. Rickard, sub-postmaster; E.C. Bignell, caretaker). Telephone kiosk.