You are in [Themes] [Schools] [Academies and Dame Schools]

The growing demand for education around 1800 led to the establishment of many small private schools which sprang up all over the country right through the 19th century and into the 20th century.

Many small private schools (or Academies) were run by clergymen. Dame Schools, which were similar to the academies but less expensive, were named schools because they were run by (sometimes elderly) ladies. Both academies and Dame schools were usually small establishments, often having only 6 to 12 children. They were intensely competitive and often just lasted the life time of the proprietor. As a result, we are now aware of at least twelve small private schools in Hungerford.

As early as 1796 the Universal Directory lists the names of various teachers - Joseph Andrews was Master of the Free Grammar School, but other teachers mentioned were Hannah Barnes, Jane Duke, and William Miller. William Miller has already been mentioned in the previous chapter, but the two ladies mentioned probably ran "dame" schools. Click the links below for further information on each school:

- Mary Wheeler's Boarding School (<1788-1803) (then run by Miss Batten)

- Mrs Webb, 18 High Street

Robert Fisher's, Boys' Day School, The Croft (1830)

- John Hives, 25 High Street

- Westfield House, Parsonage Lane

- Library Cottage: 1, Church Lane

- Wilton House, 33 High Street

- Buckland House, Eddington

- Ann Snook's Day School, Eddington

- College House, 130 High Street

- Sarah Balding's 129 High Street School

- Market Place School

- Hillside, Salisbury Road

- The Manse School, 32 High Street

- Miss Booth, Church House (Croft Hall)

- Mrs Averill, 17 High Street