You are in [Themes] [Inns & Alehouses] [White Hart]
[-->19 Charnham Street] [-->21 Charnham Street]


An inn in Charnham Street between 1686 and 1864, demolished to make way for theWesleyan Church, 1869.

Photo Gallery:


Wesleyan Chapel, Charnham Street, built in 1869 on the site of the White Hart

- Wesleyan Chapel, Charnham Street, built in 1869 on the site of the White Hart inn.


The white hart is said to derive from the arms of Richard II.

The Victorian County History mentions a document of 1686 (Com Rep v App i 328) which mentions the White Hart.

In the 1780 and 1781 Land Taxes Samuel Burton paid 8s 10d for the White Hart inn, Mrs Catherine Westall occupier.

Later in the 1780s the innkeeper was Mr Heath, but on his death in 1787, there were clearly local rumours that his widow would not continue the business. However, the Reading Mercury, of 10th September 1787 reported: "White Hart Inn, Hungerford. It having been reported since the death of Mr Heath that the business of the said inn would not be continued by his widow; she takes this opportunity of informing her friends and the public that she proposes carrying it on, and hopes to merit their continuance and support by providing the best accommodation of every kind."

The 1792 Universal British Directory showed the innkeeper as Heath,  probably Elizabeth Heath, innkeeper in the 1796 Berkshire Directory.

In 1815 a Land Tax of 10s 1½d was paid by Henry Burton for the White Hart Inn - Mrs Morrish occupier.

William Henry Moulding was landlord between 1823-1830 (Pigot),

and Harriet Moulding 1844-1864. In the 1847 Kelly and 1854 Billing, she is also recorded as a butcher!

1841 Census: Harriett Moulding (50), innkeeper, son Henry Moulding (25), butcher, 2 daughters, Emma (25), Hester (20), 1 servant, ? lodgers.

184 Pigot Dir: Harriet Moulding, butcher, Charnham Street.

1851 Census: Harriet Moulding, widow (62), Innkeeper; Henry Moulding, son, Butcher; two daughters (26 and 22); Robert Goddard (57), Ostler; John Fowler (22), Butcher; Sarah Pontin (22); Mary Lamdin (12), Visitor.

We understand that there is indeed a family connection between the Hutchins family of butchers and the Mouldings. Andrew G Hutchins has contacted the Virtual Museum to explain that the daughter of William Henry and Harriet Moulding (nee Wall), landlords of the White Hart until it closed in 1864, was Esther Moulding. Esther married (in Hungerford) William Hutchins. He also explained that despite opening a butchers shop in Neath, they were also landlords of the Queens Hotel there.

We also understand (from David Frampton of Leconfield, East Yorkshire, 21 Apr 1994) that Harriet Moulding's son-in-law was David Frampton's great-great grandfather, John Frampton, who lived in Charnham Street, working as a coach-builder between 1835-1880.

1861 Census: Harriet Moulding (73), Innkeeper and butcher, 3 sons, 2 daughters, 1 grand-daughter.

In 1864 the inn closed, and was replaced by the Wesleyan Chapel, built 1869.

Follow this link for extracts of documents relating to the purchase of the White Hart site in 1868-69.

See also:

- Hungerford Methodist Church papers, BRO, D/N 3/3/3.

- Wesleyan Chapel, Charnham Street.