You are in [Places] [Buttermarket]

We have references to the Buttermarket in Hungerford between 1607 and 1746.

Soon after the erection of the Hungerford's Elizabethan Town Hall in 1573, a Duchy of Lancaster survey in 1607 (Berks RO H/M6) shows that the town had now acquired a buttermarket. "There is also adjoining the said Town Hall one Market House for Corn..... and not far distant from the same there has been built by Erasmus Webb and by him given to the Town the Market House for butter, cheese and other like commodities."

By 1675 it would seem that the Buttermarket had passed into private hands, for there was a lease of 99 years on the upper part of the building from Richard Hawkins to John Ball, the lessee undertaking to do extensive repairs and improvements.

The Buttermarket is referred to in 1716, but in 1725 the Hocktide Court ordered it to be pulled down and the site "pitched" for a Market Cross to be erected.

However, it was not until 1746 that it was demolished and carted away. The Constables' Accounts (of 1746) record:

"Paid ye Expences of Takin down the Market House & carry away £3 11s".

There is no record of the Market Cross.

However, it seems that a Buttermarket continued in use until the new Victorian town hall was built in 1870-71, which became the sole venue for the trade of food, farm produce and livestock.

See also:

- Town Halls, inc Cross House, Courte House

- Blindhouse

- Assembly Room

- Leper House

- Dye house

- Pest House

- Town Pond