You are in [Places] [Assembly Room]

We do not often hear of an Assembly Room in Hungerford, and as yet we are unsure of its exact position.

However, there are infrequent references to it.

The Reading Mercury on 20 Oct 1788 included:
"Hungerford. Miss Wheeler respectfully informs her friends that the Ball for her school will be at the Assembly Room of Wednesday November 12. Tickets 5 shillings to be had at the Bear Inn and at the School." (Follow this for more on "Mrs Wheeler's School").

An entry in the Parish magazine Nov 1902 states under the section of the Church Lads' Brigade:
"In connection with this subject, the Vicar would like to say that the Red Rose Coffee House is now under the management of Mrs Collins. A few alterations in prices are made, by desire of Lady Pearce, on whom the upkeep of the place, and the maintenance of the Sergeant-Instructor entirely falls, entailing, it will readily be believed, a heavy outlay.

The old Club Room, having been condemned as "dangerous" has, by Sir William Pearce's order, been pulled down. This has made it necessary for another room to be found: and the Vicar is glad to say that, by the kindness of Miss Clements and the generosity of Lady Pearce, the old "Assembly Room" has been taken; and the lads will have a snug clubroom for the winter months. The Vicar proposes, with Lady Pearce's entire approval, to make use of this room for extended work among the lads of the town; Mr Brine and Mr King (Curates) will both co-operate with him in this project; and it is hoped that now something may be done for the improvement and amusement of this hitherto rather neglected portion of our community. Details of the arrangements will be posted later at the Coffee House."

See also:

- Schools

- Red Rose Coffee House