You are in [Places] [Common Fields]

As the early medieval town of Hungerford grew in the 12th century and beyond, a number of Common Fields developed surrounding the town.

Photo Gallery:

common fields-01
common fields-01
1934 Dunn Mill lock
1934 Dunn Mill lock

- Principle Common Fields of Hungerford

The Common Fields:

They are shown on the map, and include:

To the west of the Salisbury Road:
- Westfield:
- Freeman's Marsh: See Freeman's Marsh
- Chantry Mead:
- Home Field:
- Middle Field:
- Pedden Field West:
- Postern Field:

To the east of the Salisbury Road:
- Mill Mead:
- Woodmarsh:
- The Everlong: (now forming a large part of Hungerford Common) was mentioned as early as 1348 (22EdIII) (Anc Dd C3062 (nb vi p11). The western end became developed for housing (from what is now Station Road to the Down Gate, whilst the eastern part (the remaining 25 acres) became part of Hungerford Common in 1819. The Everlong was split into three thin strips by the canal and the railway.
- The Kintbury Down:
- The Breach: bounded by Fairview Road and Priory Avenue on the west, Park Street on the north, and The Common Port Down on the east. The name is remembered in The Breach, off Priory Avenue.
- Common Port Down: See Hungerford Common
- Short Cut Field:
- Pidden Field East:
- Sanham Down:
- Helmes Heath:

At different times, some of the fields were divided or linked, and names therefore varied. Part of Sanham Down and Helmes Heath is labelled "Old Inclosure" on the 1819 Enclosure map.

The various Common Fields gradually became "enclosed" from the 15th century onwards. Only a small number survived the final Parliamentary Enclosure of 1819, others became part of Hungerford's general expansion. Many are remembered in modern street names.

See also:

- "Abstract of Properties in Hungerford, Sanden Fee and Charnham Street" - early 19th century. Berks RO D/ELm E3. A list of all open field land, detailed to individual strips.

- Elizabethan Hungerford, Hungerford Local History Group, 1995.

- Hungerford - A History, Hungerford Historical Association, 2000.

- Enclosure.

- Hungerford Common.

- Freeman's Marsh.