Standen Manor (in earlier days kalso known as South Standen or Standen Hussey) is an extremely attractive, Grade II Listed country mansion. The property is constructed of red brick and some flint under a tile hung hipped slate roof with attractive sash windows. There is a balcony with a 19th century decorative iron ballustrade on two Tuscan columns and pillasters over the flagstone porch. There are a myriad of period features throughout the property including attractive cornicing, picture rails, exposed polished oak stripped floors and a variety of decorative fireplaces. The drawing room, with its two Corinthian pillars, was the ballroom and has an unusual oak sprung dance floor.
Pevsner describes it as early 18th century, with blue headers and red dressings. Six bay front, with parapet, hipped roof, segment headed windows, widely spread.
The first noted owners of Standen Manor were a family called Hussey (or de la Huse) who held the manor from the 12th to the 15th Century. After this, the manor was often known as Standen Hussey, presumably to help distinguish it from North Standen.
By 1486, the manor belonged to Sir Reginald Bray, the chief minister of King Henry VII. Bray died childless in 1503 and divided the interest between his brother John's three sons.
A memorial in St Lawrence's Church (the oldest apart from the 14th century effigy of Sir Robert Hungerford) is to Henry Hungerford, "late of Standen", third son of Sir Anthony Hungerford of Blackbborton in Oxfordshire. He died 23 May 1673.
In the 19th century the manor was owned by the Mitchell and Dunn families. There are memorial tablets in St Lawrence Church.
Some time later began a 150 year association with the Goddard family. The youngest son, Francis Goddard, had been the owner of Standen for 15 years when he gained a new neighbour at Prosperous Farm, Jethro Tull, the inventor of the seed drill, the main cause for the revolution in agriculture.
The Pearce family were occupants in the 19th century. See the cutting from the Hereford Journal of 8 Jan 1806 - "Died - Suddenly, aged 55. John Pearce esq of Standen Hussey, near Hungerford, Captain Commandant of the Hungerford Volunteer Cavalry: a gentleman universally esteemed but a nervous affection had brought on a despondency, and though he was possessed of £40,0000, he thought that he should become a parish pauper." [Kindly sent by Jerry Green, Feb 2012]
It passed through various families until, in 1922, Standen was advertised "to be sold privately or by auction later on" and was bought by the Anderson family, who owned it, until they sold up in 1981.
During the Second World War, the house was requisitioned and occupied by troops of the 101st US Airbourne division during the 10-11 months prior to D-Day. David Nash Ford states that the men were visited by the supreme commander, General Eisenhower, on the evening of the 5th June 1944 prior to their departure to France. General Eisenhower certainly inspected the troops on Hungerford Common on 10th August 1944.
- Standen Manor c2006
- Report of the death of John Pearce, Jan 1806, in Hereford Journal (kindly sent by Jerry Green, Feb 2012)
- Standen Manor 1908
- Standen Manor c1912 [Barnard, Hungerford]
- Standen Manor c1935
Standen Manor now:
Standen Manor is a private residence. The NWN mentioned its impending sale in May 1980 "Georgian mansions to sell for £1/2m". It is described as having "seven bedrooms, extensive outbuildings, a tennis court and 23 acres of land. The property also has a stable block with additional land. The guide price is around £200,000."
It was last offered for sale by Knight Frank in April 2002, when it was bought by Guy and Fiona Sangster.