You are in [Places] [High Street Properties] [112 High Street]
[-->111 High Street] [-->113 High Street]

Summary:

Earliest information: 1814
Original estate: Dean and Canons of Windsor
Common Rights? No
Date of current building:
Listed? No

Thumbnail History:

Robinson -> Bird -> Atherton -> Alexander (grocer) -> Bodman (draper) -> Dopson -> Bates Antiques -> Astor art gallery -> Age of Elegance -> The Emporium.

Description of property:

Photo Gallery:

img_0587
img_0587 img_0587
uhs-012b
uhs-012b uhs-012b
hungerford gall...
hungerford gallery closing-01 hungerford gallery closing-01
hungerford gall...
hungerford gallery closing-02 hungerford gallery closing-02
p3030929
p3030929 p3030929

- The Emporium, 112 High Street, Mar 2010

- Buildings around 112 High Street, c1871

- Hungerford Gallery closing sale, 1991

- Age of Elegance, 112 High Street, Mar 2007

Timeline:

1421 (NH) Dean & Canons of Windsor.

1814 (DD) Survey CC120149 St George's Windsor, describes "Miss Robinson, Adjoining the Plume of Feathers. Tenement. 2 rooms in front, Bakehouse & Convenient Offices, 3 Sleeping rooms, one Stable for 1 horse, Garden & Land in the Occupations of Tho. Pick. 2 acres, 1 rod, 14 perches. Value £16-0-0."

1819 (EA) Bird.

1840 William Atherton [From records of 111 HS: 1840 (NH Berks RO D/Elm T8) Lease of Craven Arms – William Millis of Charnham Street to William Toms and John Matthews, brewers of Hungerford, for 21 years, now in occupation of Richard Palmer and including the right to go with a horse through the passage on the north side, ingress and egress subject to the right of William Atherton of the adjoining messuage.]

1841 (CS) Benjamin Alexander (30) grocer.

1844 (*3) James Bodman of Trowbridge died 14.12.1844 aged 71 years.

1846 (*3) James Bodman (the younger) died 18.3.1846 aged 14 years.

1847 (*3) Thomas Bodman died 20.1.1847 aged 10 years.

1851 (CS) Benjamin Alexander (-),grocer, 3 men.
1851 (CS) Benjamin Alexander - grocer, employed 6 men. (James Bodman (47) linen draper, at 25 High Street. Probably, James Bodman moved from 25 HS to 112 HS in the mid 1850s)

1861 (*3) Jane Bodman, wife of James Bodman, died 23.3.1851.

1862 (*3) Mary Ann Bodman, daughter of James and Hannah Bodman, died 24.4.1862, aged 18 years.

1869 (PO) James Bodman - linen & woollen draper.(?site)
1871 (CS) James Bodman (67) - linen draper.
1874 (*3) James Bodman died 10.11.1874, aged 74 years. (Memorial stone)

1877 (KD) Mrs. Hannah Bodman, linen and woollen draper, HS.

1881 (CS) Charles Bodman - draper.
1886 (DD) of 113HS refers to Charles Bodman to the S.
1886 (DD) Dean and Canons of Windsor (The Ecclesiastical Commissioners For England) sold to Charles Bodman, draper for £600

1891 (KD) Mrs Hannah Bodman - linen & woollen draper.
1896 (*3) Hannah Bodman, wife of James Bodman, died 13.6.1896, aged 87 years.

1903 (KD) Charles Bodman - linen draper.
1937 (DD) Charles Bodman died 18.2.1937.

1937 (DD) James William Gibbs (nephew of Charles Bodman) inherited the property. Conveyed to Rolland William Childs.

1939 (BL) Bodman & Co. (R.W. Childs), drapers
1939 (KD) Charles Bodman & Co - drapers.
19?? (Mrs May Marks, Ramsbury) Mr Charles Bodman (batchelor) had a resident millener - Miss Bonniface & also Miss Phillips lived there, sold to nephew, Mr Gibbs, who later sold to Mr & Mrs Childs, thence to Dopson.

1955 Mr & Mrs Herbert Dopson -> 1979

1978 Bodmans - outfitters

1979 Keith & Pat Bates - Antiques.

1982-4? Part - "To the Manner Born" - bathrooms.

1984 The Hungerford Gallery - Richard Astor.
See Oct 1987 Exhibition brochure (including Charles Low painting).
1991 Astor picture gallery closed August 1991.

1992 Age of Elegance - antiques and gifts.
2007 Age of Elegance closed – went into liquidation (as did the Marlborough branch).

Oct 2008 "The Emporium" – antiques booths opened
Summer 2008 CoCo & Co Designer Clothing opened on first floor front.
Dec 2009 CoCo & Co moved to 13 Bridge Street.

Key to notes:
*3 = URC graveyard - memorial stones

See also:

- A Visit to the Aerary (the Chapter Room of the Dean and Canons of Windsor), 1987 by Bracknell and District Historical Association.