The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the west side of High Street (modern numbers 45-65) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Plough House [49 HS] is clearly a Victorian building. It attracts Common Rights, but at the present time its earlier property history is unclear. It may have been shared with 50 HS [now Orwell House].
Earliest information: 1851
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (2 horses or 4 cows. 33ft + 10 ft = 43ft frontage)
Date of current building: c.1850?
- Plough House, 49 High Street, Feb 2007
- Plough Inn, c1910
1851 (CS) Francis Hasell (32), beerhouse keeper.
1854 (Billing) has William Dyke, beer retailer and shopkeeper. [By the 1863 Dutton & Allen Directory, William Dyke was at the Red Lion in Charnham Street]. The 1864 Billing showed William Dyke at The Plough.
1861 (CL) ?Trustees of Mrs H. Hogsflesh [C. Rosier]
1871 (CS) Edward Lambourne - Plough Inn – gardner and innkeeper.
1891 Cosburn: James Winkworth
1895 Kelly: John Waller Horne - Public house, carman; waggonettes & traps let on hire
1900 (Cosburn's Dir) J W Horne, "Plough Inn"
1900 Cosburn: John Waller Horne
1902 (T&M Register) Herbert John Finn (owner)
1903 Kelly: Charles Wiggins - PH
1903 (T&M Register) Charles Wiggins (occupier)
1905 (T&M Register) Eleazer Batten (occupier)
1908 (T&M Register) Alfred Brown (occupier)
1910 (T&M Register) ..?.. Edward (occupier)
1911 (T&M Register) George Arlett (occupier)
1912 (T&M Register) Allan Sturgess (occupier)
1913 (T&M Register) George Wiltshire (occupier)
1914 Commoners List: Herbert John Finn and Thomas Dennison.
1914 (T&M Register) Thomas Dennison (occupier)
1915 (Kelly Dir) Thomas Dennison, "Plough PH"
The date when The Plough closed is not yet clear.
1918 (T&M Register) Void
1919 (T&M Register) ..?.. Corbin (occupier)
1920 (T&M Register) Joshua Macklin (occupier)
1925 (T&M Register) Douglas WIlmott (owner & occupier)
1939 (Blacket's) D. Wilmott, builder & contractor [See also Wilmott Family]
1947-1976 (CL) Douglas Wilmott
1978 (T&M Register) Executors of Douglas Wilmott deceased
1979 (T&M Register) Evelyn Elsie Wilmott (owner)
1983 (CL) Evelyn E. Wilmott
1984 (CL) Evelyn E. Wilmott
1985 (CL) Evelyn E. Wilmott
1987 Sold to developer – split into flats, with courtyard development (3 cottages) behind.
2000 (CL) Michael Greenslade
2005 (CL) Michael Greenslade
2011 (CL) Brian Moir