You are in [Themes] [War Memorials]
The War Memorial, Bridge Street
Hungerford's main War Memorial lies in Bridge Street. It was built on on land purchased by a group of Trustees in 1920 from the International Tea Company, whose International Stores had recently closed. Follow this link for more on the War Memorial Dedication Service. Several other war memorials can be found in other key buildings, including St Lawrence's Church, schools, and businesses such as the banks.
- The Bridge Street War Memorial, Nov 2016.
The Stories behind the names:
The individual stories behind the names on the
Bridge Street War Memorial to those who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars can be found on the following pages:
The Church House (now Croft Hall) War Memorial:
A First World War Memorial was dedicated in Church House (now Croft Hall).
The War Memorial at the Hungerford Primary School (previously the All-Age Council School):
This memorial includes the following:
In honour and in loving memory of:
R V Weaving, F J North, S Vockins, A N J Salt, C J Rosier, L E Lambourne, E Vockins
our Comrades who made the great sacrifice 1914-1919.
1939-1945 - In Grateful Remembrance of
D H Amor, E G Bell, J N Chandler, E J Cottrell, R R Dixon, R M Gibbs, C E Mayne
G F McKeand, A R G North, A C Pike, T Pike, S C Pinnock, F W Rogers, F H C Rosier,
L A Shears, L G Street, F Tucker, D M Vyall, A D Walter, H C Wright.
who died for us
Their name liveth for evermore
- Hungerford War Memorial Charity indenture
- Church House War Memorial
- Reports of War Wounded
- War Memorials of West Berkshire website
- "Hungerford War Memorial 1939-1945" by Richard Amphlett [HHA Archive N29 & S25]
- The National Inventory of War Memorials (Hungerford area) - Pamela Lucas and HHA members [HHA Archive N105 & Y105]