You are in [Places] [High Street Properties] [49 High Street]
[-->47-48 High Street] [-->50 High Street]


The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the west side of High Street (modern numbers 45-65) is very speculative. Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.

Plough House [49 HS] is a Victorian building dating from 1879. It attracts Common Rights, but at the present time its earlier property history is unclear. It may have been shared with 50 HS [now Orwell House].


Earliest information: 1851
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (2 horses or 4 cows. 33ft + 10 ft = 43ft frontage)
Date of current building: 1879
Listed? No

Photo Gallery:


Plough House, 49 High Street, Feb 2007


Plough Inn, c.1904

- Plough House, 49 High Street, February 2007.

- Plough Inn, c.1904.


Beerhouse then Plough Inn, early 19th century - c1918:

1851 (CS) Francis Hasell (32), beerhouse keeper.

1854 (Billing) has William Dyke, beer retailer and shopkeeper. [By the 1863 Dutton & Allen Directory, William Dyke was at the Red Lion in Charnham Street]. The 1864 Billing showed William Dyke at The Plough.

1861 (CL) ?Trustees of Mrs H. Hogsflesh [C. Rosier]

1871 (CS) Edward Lambourne - Plough Inn – gardner and innkeeper.

1879 (Out & About feature, Jan 2018) Date of current building. Designed by James Money, Newbury architect, brother of historian Walter Money. Recorded as "Plough Inn". James Money was well known in Hungerford having designed the new Town Hall and Corn Exchange in 1870-71 and later on he designed St John's Mission Hall in 1899-1900. Follow this for more on James Money.

1891 Cosburn: James Winkworth
1895 Kelly: John Waller Horne - Public house, carman; waggonettes & traps let on hire

1900 (Cosburn's Dir) J W Horne, "Plough Inn"
1900 Cosburn: John Waller Horne

1902 (T&M Register) Herbert John Finn (owner)

1903 Kelly: Charles Wiggins - PH
1903 (T&M Register) Charles Wiggins (occupier)

1905 (T&M Register) Eleazer Batten (occupier)

1908 (T&M Register) Alfred Brown (occupier)

1910 (T&M Register) ..?.. Edward (occupier)

1911 (T&M Register) George Arlett (occupier)

1912 (T&M Register) Allan Sturgess (occupier)

1913 (T&M Register) George Wiltshire (occupier)

1914 Commoners List: Herbert John Finn and Thomas Dennison.
1914 (T&M Register) Thomas Dennison (occupier)

1915 (Kelly Dir) Thomas Dennison, "Plough PH"

The date when The Plough closed is not yet clear.

1918 (T&M Register) Void

1919 (T&M Register) ..?.. Corbin (occupier)

1920 (T&M Register) Joshua Macklin (occupier)

Wilmott, c1925 - 1987:

1925 (T&M Register) Douglas WIlmott (owner & occupier)

1939 (Blacket's) D. Wilmott, builder & contractor [See also Wilmott Family]
1947-1976 (CL) Douglas Wilmott

1978 (T&M Register) Executors of Douglas Wilmott deceased

1979 (T&M Register) Evelyn Elsie Wilmott (owner)
1983 (CL) Evelyn E. Wilmott
1984 (CL) Evelyn E. Wilmott
1985 (CL) Evelyn E. Wilmott

Multiple residential units, 1987 - present:

1987 Sold to developer – split into flats, with courtyard development (3 cottages) behind.

2000 (CL) Michael Greenslade
2005 (CL) Michael Greenslade

2011 (CL) Brian Moir

See also:

- James Money (an Out & About feature, Jan 2018)

- Wilmott Family