Earliest information: 1470
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (now 24 & 24a High St)
Date of current building: 16th/17th century with late 18th century frontage
Listed? Grade II*
Collyns family from 1563 until 1624, when passed to Lucas, then Pophams of Littlecote. The Greyhound Inn from 1761 until 1815. The Alexander (and Wren) saddlers and ironmongers, then hardware until 1985 when re-developed as The Courtyard.
Description of property:
From Listed Building records: House, now house and shop. Late 18th century front on earlier 16th / 17th century building. Tiled roof, 3-gabled dormers with glazing bar sashes. Mathematical tiles and stucco quoins. Two storeys and attic. Three plain glazing sashes above good late 18th century front of two flat bays with curved ends flanking central 20th century door, further door to right, all under flat canopy with ornamental frieze. Right bay of shop front has thin moulded pilasters flanking former central door opening. Interior has substantial timber framing with jettied wing at right angles to street frontage.
- 24 High Street, Apr 2014
- Wren's, 24 High Street, c1891
- Saddlers working in Nicol's workshop, c1925. The saddlery closed in the late 1930s - Mr Pavier was the last saddler.
- Nicol's, 24 High Street, c1930
- Nicol's, 24 High Street, c1935
- Nicol's, 24 High Street, winter 1943/44 (DM)
- Noel Nicol, undated
- The Courtyard, 24 High Street
- Market Place c1960
- Paul Good bill head, 15 Dec 1976.
- Paul Good's, May 1979
- 24 High Street after Paul Good's closed, Jul 1985
- 24 High Street, Jan 2007
- Sign in Azuza, 24 High Street: "When Good Queen Bess came to the throne this house was then the Greyhound inn. Here was standing for 400 horses, the paved and cobbled yards and passages must have echoed to the shouts and to the jingle of spurs of soldiers passing though on the way to repel the threatened invasion from Spain. The tankard was lifted - "The Queen, God Bless her". [We are not aware of any evidence supporting the claim that "The Greyhound" was an inn in the Elizabethan period]
<1470 (NH) John Browne, previously Henry Dyer.
c.1470 (NH) (No 23/24HS) John Boucher – ½ burgage and more, late John Browne, previously Henry Dyer, q.r. 5 ¼ d
1470-1552 (NH) Between 1470 and 1552 the descent of the property in Hungerford and its accompanying lands in Sanden Fee is complicated, and much of what we know is derived from scattered items in lawsuits of later date (DL1 /129 /G5; DL4/27/29; C2/Eliz/WW21/11; DL1/132/6). From these documents we learn that the house and lands had at one time belonged to Thomas Mason who died c.1525-35.The 1552 muster roll for Hungerford has two Thomas Masons – one the glover, who held 2 or 3 properties, the other described as "the younger", labourer and archer. Thomas Mason's only son and heir was George Mason, a priest; and he died without issue. A daughter of Thomas Mason married William Lovelake, who had sons Richard George and Thomas, and the property descended to the older of these, Richard Lovelake.
1552 (NH) (No 23/24HS) The heirs of Richard Lovelake – 1 tenement, with 31 acres of land late in the tenure of John Bocher, now of John Ryver, q.r. 2s 1 ¾ d. The difference in the quit rent compared to c.1470 can be made up approximately by the addition of the lands of John Boucher in Sanden Fee (late John Browne, previously Hugo Dyer), q.r 20d in c.1470, and for which there is no corresponding separate entry in 1552.
Richard himself was dead before 1552, when the town survey listed the property as belonging to "the heirs of Richard Lovelake". The formulation is a sure sign that the property rights are not unrestricted, and in fact it is stated in one later lawsuit that Richard Lovelake at some stage had sold or mortgaged the property to a Mr Worley of London.
1552-63 (NH) Following this the property must have come into the possession of Thomas Hedache. Hedache is credited with several properties in the 1552 survey. When he died his heir was his daughter Joan, who married John Collins.
The Collyns family, 1563-1650s:
1563 (NH) John Collyns and his brother Edward Collyns (mercers in linen and sugar). As early as 1563 John Collins and his wife Joan demised (mortgaged) the property to two London businessmen, Anthony Gamage and Thomas Wade (DL1/129/5). Unknown to these mortgagors Collins then entered into a bond of recognisance in statute staple with Thomas Fashion, a Southampton merchant, and forfeited it to his brother Edward Collins, in partnership with John as mercers dealing in linen and sugar, was equally involved. Edward was born 1535/6 and traded as a mercer who dealt in linen and sugar. Gamage died and in 1582 Wade assured the premises to William Gamage.
1573 (NH) Hence the entry in the 1573 town survey which declares that "John Collyns together with Edward Collyns hold by partition, as tenants in dower and by statute merchant, to Thomas Fashion of Southampton, 1 tenement + 23½ acres … as the only estate of the freehold of Anthony Gamage of London, merchant, q.r. 2s 1d". (This suggests that the whole ("only") freehold belonged to Gamage, that the tenancy was shared equally ("in partition") between the two partners and that it was held in dower on behalf of John's wife, Joan, as the property she had brought to her husband on marriage.
1575 (NH) John Collins was murdered. His share of the property seems to have passed to Edward. The parish Register states it succinctly: "22 August buried John Collins who was murthered by John Whitte the shoemaker". There are no further details of this murder known to survive. John Collins died intestate, and an inventory of his possessions was exhibited in the court of the ..?.. on behalf of his widow by his brother Edward.
1575 (NH) Inventory: Upon the death of John Collins an inventory of his goods was taken and exhibited by Edward Collins on behalf of his widow Joan. The inventory of items in the house include a well bucket, chain and rope in the well-house, which shows the house to have had its own well-drawn supply of water. There was a hall (or dining quarters) and behind it a "house" or section containing a bench, a settle, a powdering tub and a butter churn. Another section formed the shop which contained 2 empty hogsheads or barrels, shelving, a pack saddle tree and a mustard mill. In the "entry" was a hogshead of metheglyne or mead.
Another room acted as a malting house, and there are various references to honey – 8 honey bags, 3 barrels of honey, also 1 hundredweight of wax.
1584 (NH)(*1) (DL1/129/5) John Collins had married Joan, daughter and heir of Thomas Hedache and so inherited 2 messuages, lands etc. sometime in occupation or tenure of William Lovelake and John Cooke.
1591 (NH) (Nos 23 & /24 HS) Edward Collins – 2 messuages, 2 gardens, 2 orchards, with 23 acres arable, q.r. 2s 1¼d. It would appear that the tenement has been divided into two.
1609 (NH) (Nos 23/24) Edward Collins – 1 tenement and backside + 23 ½ acres, of which 3 acres are in the Everlong and the rest in Sanden Fee.
1612 Edward Collins died intestate, administration of the estate was granted to his widow Judith Collins.
1625 (NH) Judith Collins died. A similar inventory was taken (19 Aug 1625) when Judith Collins, who was the widow of Edward Collins, died. The house then had a hatter's chamber, a parlour chamber, and hall chamber, a cellar, kitchen and parlour; also a malting loft, that is, a loft where malt was stored.
In addition to the transaction of 1624, there are a number of other records revealing the Collins' family selling out their local interests. In 16?? a missing fine, recorded only in an index of fines, recorded the sale of a tenement in Berkshire and another in Wiltshire by Edward Collins to Edward Cox. Presumably this Edward is the son, his father having died in 1612.
This sale to Edward Cox may be explained by his marriage in 1606 to Mary Collins (baptised 1577), Edward's eldest daughter, perhaps part of a marriage settlement to take effect on Edward's death.
1624 (NH) By then Edward Collins II (born Feb 1580/81), son and heir of Edward Collins senior deceased and of Judith, had sold his inheritance, consisting of 1 messuage, 1 cottage and 2 gardens with 23 acres of land, to Sir Francis Popham of Littlecote (Somerset R.O. DD/Pot 11, also F. of F. Berks). The Collins family were able to continue and be in possession of the premises for many years to come, since the Hocktide Court Book continues to register "the tenamt of the lands of the late Edward Collins" from 1627 to 1652. In 1669 Popham's name appears as a free suitor for the first time.
1628 (NH) Anthony Collins, the eldest son by Edward's first wife Ursula, sold an estate to William Claxton esq. and Edward Orange which seems almost identical with that sold by Edward in 1624, but with the addition of additional property in Charnham Street.
(NH) (No 24) The description of the property as 1 messuage, 1 cottage and 2 gardens may help explain the 1591 reference to 2 tenements and 2 gardens, also the c.1470 "1/2 burgage or more" – the "more" being the cottage attached to the main dwelling.
The Lucas family, c1650s-1760s:
1663 (NH) Hearth Tax: Timothy Lucas, 9 hearths but position uncertain.
1676 (NH) By position this tenement is that of widow (Frances) Lucas, q.r. 2s 1d.
Nos 23 & 24HS: These two properties had a common owner from a date prior to 1676 when both are accredited to widow Lucas in the QR. The widow is Frances, widow of Timothy Lucas mercer, who died 1668 leaving a Dean of Sarum will. He leaves to his wife the ramainder of a 99-year lease (from Samuel Richardson?) of 1 messuage + 38 acres arable in Hungerford; also 99-year lease of 1 messuage and 1 little cottage and garden + 22 ½ acres in common fields on lives of himself, wife Frances, and William Trimwell of Cussmaford. [The accompanying 23 acres in the common fields are described in detail in the 1573 survey – these relate to the "upper" house, formerly John Collins. The little cottage is included in the 1591 rental with the burgage to which it is attached (Edward Collins, formerly John).]
In 1675 Frances conveyed one messuage to John Lucas (her brother-in-law) of Stapenhill, Derbyshire. This John died 1676.
The Greyhound Inn 1716-1812:
The board on the wall of the coffee shop boldly states:
"When Good Queen Bess came to the throne this house was then the Greyhound inn. Here was standing for 400 horses and the paved and cobbled yards and passages must have echoed to the shouts and to the jingle of spurs of soldiers passing though on the way to repel the threatened invasion from Spain. The tankard was lifted –
"The Queen - God Bless her".
[Contrary to the sign on the wall of the Coffee Shop, we are not aware of any evidence that this property was The Greyhound Inn in the Elizabethan period. However, there is documentary evidence that it was The Greyhound Inn for nearly a century through the main part of the coaching period.]
1704 (NH) Edward Lucas pays Poor Rate taxed on an upper and a lower house, presumably no 24HS and no 20HS.
In 1716 Edward Lucas insured through The Sun Fire Insurance Company (a) his dwelling house; (b) in a separate policy, the Greyhound Inn (No. 24) (occupied by James Webb and Thomas Bendell - co-inn-keepers). This is the first known mention of The Greyhound Inn.
A further insurance on the Inn was taken out in 1742 (occupier William Miller) by Edward Lucas. Edward Lucas the elder having died in 1725, this would be Edward Lucas the younger, his son.
Norman Hidden's notes include: In 1725 Edward Lucas the elder (mercer) left a PCC will leaving to his wife Winifred all his right in the house (Church House?) late in possession of John Hudden which he holds by lease; 6 acres (detailed) of arable to his son Timothy; and to his son Edward (the younger) the lease of the house (No 24HS?) in which he was then dwelling, and Coppidge Croft, Meres Field, Bawkly Field. These latter lands had been held by John Lucas at the time he wa attainted in 1654 (E178/6057). This document contains a detailed inventory of the rooms of John Lucas' dwelling house. Following this inquisition the premises were leased to Jehosophat Lucas in 1657 by Samuel Richardson (D/EZ 7/66). According to this document John Lucas' premises descended via Jethro Tull to Onesiphorus, son of Jehosohat Lucas in 1677, following whose death in 1691, Onesiphorus' will devises his estate to Thomas Statham, and in 1693 Statham to Edward Lucas. In 1740 Mabel Lucas (widow of Onesiphorus) and John Janver and his wife Isobel, conveyed the freehold (sic!) to Thomas Bucknall and his wife Mabel."
1742 (Sun Fire Insurance) "Edward Lucas, mercer, on house and brewhouse adjoining being The Greyhound Inn, tiled, in tenure of William Miller and his under-tenants". (It is not described as brick, so the possibility arises of it being timber framed.)
1753 (NH) Mr Edward (Lucas deleted) Popham esq. for his upper House, q.r. 2s 1 ½ d.
1753-61 (QR) Edward Popham, lower house (=24 HS)
<1761 (D1) Edward Popham (Littlecote). One messuage and one little cottage opposite Market House on West side of High Street called "The Greyhound".
1761 (D1) Edward Lucas, mercer of Hungerford, bought from Popham. In 1761 Edward Popham conveyed this to Edward Lucas, when it was described as a messuage or inn and a little cottage and garden thereunto belonging, known as the Greyhound Inn. With the property there was also conveyed 22 acres of arable land in the common fields.
In 1761 the "One messuage and one little cottage opposite Market House on West side of High Street called "The Greyhound" was bought from Edward Popham by Edward Lucas, a mercer of Hungerford. Edward Lucas died in 1766, and his daughter Mary Lucas inherited. She married William Harrison of Little Bedwyn.
1766 (D1) Edward Lucas died. Mary Lucas (daughter) inherits. She married William Harrison, D.D., of Little Bedwyn.
1773 (NH) [E112/ 13 Geo III / Trin 45 / Berks] Thomas Pool, innkeeper
In 1773 Thomas Pool was the innkeeper. There is a Royal Exchange Assurance policy dated 23rd June 1773 taken out by Mary Pike of Hungerford, innholder, insuring the furniture in her dwelling house brick and tiled known as The Greyhound £180 + stock £220.
1773 (NH) Royal Exchange Assurance Policy 86868 23 June 1773: Mary Pike of Hungerford, Berks, innholder, insured the furniture in her dwelling house brick and tiled known as The Greyhound £180 + stock £220.
26 Nov 1773: Deposition at the house of Thomas Pool, innkeeper, called The Greyhound. (E112/Berks/GeoIII/Mich - Bundle 1359, case 31).
1778 (NH) Sun Fire Insurance 399485 24 June 1778: William Pike of Hungerford, Berks innholder: household goods valued (at same amount as Mary Pike above £180), stock etc £420.
In 1778 a Sun Fire Insurance (399485 24 June 1778) was taken out by William Pike of Hungerford, innholder for "household goods valued (at same amount as Mary Pike above) £180, stock etc £420". William Pike is still the occupier on the 1781 Commoners List.
In 1791 Thomas Hawkesworth, grocer of Hungerford, bought The Greyhound from William and Mary Harrison. Thomas Hawkesworth was Constable of Hungerford in 1766 and 1780. A deed dated 1793 of the adjacent property describes it as "a messuage belonging to Thomas Hawkesworth, called The Greyhound Inn, now in occupation of William Watts".
1793 (D2) "on south a messuage belonging to Thomas Hawkesworth, called The Greyhound Inn, now in occupation of William Watts".
1794 (WF) Depicts strip property extending to Back Lane.
1802 William Hawkesworth (son of Thomas Hawkesworth). Thomas Hawkesworth died in 1802, and his son William Hawkesworth, inherited. The landlord at the time was Charles Mogg.
1802-03 (D1) William Hawkesworth had the property auctioned and it was sold to Charles Mogg (innholder, sitting tenant). Robert Lye (tailor, of Hungerford) provided a mortgage for its puchase.
1808 (D2) "on south a messuage called The Greyhound, late belonging to Thomas Hawkesworth, now in occupation of Thomas Mogg (sic!)"
A butcher's shop for one year, 1812:
1812 (D1) John Pearce esq. of Harningsham, Wilts bought the property from Charles Mogg. The occupier was John Pulleyn, butcher.
Saddlers & Ironmongers, 1812-1985:
In the following year, 1813 William Alexander, saddler and harnessmaker of Hungerford, leased. "premises have been lately converted into two tenements, lately occupied by John Pulleyn and Thomas Crofts". Soon after, in 1815, William Alexander bought the property outright from John Pearce (bankrupt) at auction at The Bear.
Summary of the Saddlers & Ironmongers:
1813 William Alexander
1815 William Alexander, son of above
1861/5 Henry Wren & John Matthews
1891 George Wren
1919 Noel Nicol
1949 Gwen & Margaret Nicol
1971 Paul Good
1985 Meyfern Properties Ltd.
The 1800s continued:
1813 (D1) William Alexander, saddler and harnessmaker of Hungerford, leased. "premises have been lately converted into two tenements, lately occupied by John Pulleyn and Thomas Crofts".
who died in 1861, leaving the property to his wife Mary.
1815 (D1) William Alexander bought property outright from John Pearce (on his bankruptcy) at auction at The Bear. Last mention of The Greyhound.
1815 (D1) William Alexander died. Widow Harriett occupant until her death in 1836. William Alexander junior (son of above, also saddler and ironmonger) inherited the property. He was Constable in 1816, 1842 and 1843.
1836 (NH) Thomas Magg (occ) [see notes on 23 HS]
1845 (Court Leet Presentment H/H3) refers to an obstruction there.
1846 (NH on 23 HS) In 1846 the messuage to the south, formerly know as the Greyhound Inn had been converted into a shop and dwelling house in the occupation of William Alexander.
1847 (CL) William Alexander, own & occ.
1851 (CS) William Alexander (43), saddler and ironmonger, emp 3 men and 1 boy.
1861 (D1) William Alexander died. Widow Mary Alexander (his widow) (owner) inherited. Later she moved to live in Jersey.
Messrs Wren & Matthews, 1861-1889, Wrens 1889-1919:
1861 (CL) William Alexander (own); Messrs Wren & Matthews (occ)
1861 (CS) John Matthew (38), saddler and ironmonger
(CS) Henry Wren (42), saddler and ironmonger
1865 (D1) Mary Alexander (in Jersey) sold the property to Henry Wren (also saddler and ironmonger). Henry Wren and John Matthews of Hungerford became owners. John Matthews was Constable in 1876. A John Matthews, solicitor, had been in 131/132 HS in 1864, and sold it to H.E. Astley.
1871 (CS) John Matthew, saddler; (CS) Henry Wren, ironmonger
1881 (CS) John Matthew, saddler and ironmonger; (CS) Henry Wren, saddler and ironmonger
1889 [George Wren bought 33 HS from J.E. Herbert, and sold 33 HS to A. Alexander in 1891]
1890 (D1) Henry Wren died 20 Jan 1890. (16 April 1890 probate in the District Registry at Oxford.) On Henry's death it descended to his son George Wren, who carried on the saddler and ironmongery trade.
1890 (D1) Henry Wren jnr, and George A. Biddis (brother-in- law) owners, sold to brother George Wren (son of Henry Wren snr) for £700, saddler and ironmonger. Bounded on north by Inn and premises of the Crown brewery, occ by Elisha Love; to south by premises occupied by Charles Osmond, postmaster; to east by High Street; and the west by a yard and buildings owned by Ecclesiastical Commissioners and occupied by George Wren.
1891 Approximate time that one dormer became three roof dormers on High Street elevation.
1892 (D1) George Wren purchased 32 perches of land (1 perch = 5.5yards) at the west (or rear), along with shed, barn and stables at rear of property, formerly glebe land held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners,part of St. Michael's Rectory, Winchester.
1896 (CL) George Wren, own & occ.
(Harold Clements) "George Wren's two saddlers were George Spedbury, and Bobby Lie, who lived in Froxfield, and walked in by 8am every day."
1902 (T&M Register) George Wren (owner until 1918)
1903 (T&M Register) George Wren (occupuier until 1916)
1914 (CL) George Edward Wren
1916 (D1) George Wren died 29 Dec 1916. Probate at Oxford 8 Mar 1917. Widow Ellen Louisa Wren owner, saddler and ironmonger. (Will of 18 Feb 1889 devised to his wife Ellen Louisa Wren all his real and personal estate whatsoever.)
1917 (T&M Register) Ellen Louisa Wren (occupier)
1919 (T&M Register) Noel Sibbald Nicol (owner & occupier until 1967)
1919-1949 (Gwen Nicol) Noel Sibbald Nicol (1883-1949), came to Hungerford in 1919, aged 36 years, from Leicester. Bought 24HS from Mrs. Wren. Business "very run-down". Mr. Nicol employed 7 men - 2 saddlers, 2 ironmongers, 2 workshop and tinsmiths, one horse & cart to collect harnesses from farms for repair. The saddlery ended in the late 1930's - Mr. Pavier was the last saddler. The saddlery was replaced by a china department.
1932 (QR) Mr. Nicols "House late Mr Alexander".
1937 (GN) Nicols moved to live in Clearpoint, 17 Salisbury Road.
1939 (Blacket's) N.S. Nicol, ironmonger
1945? (GN) The tinsmith ended about 1945, being replaced by lawn-mower and machine repairs.
1949-1971 (GN) Gwen and Margaret Nicol, dtrs of Noel Nicol, continued the business as ironmongers, plus china ware, and cartridge making. Margaret died 1990 (aged 80 years); Gwen died 1999. Clearpoint sold Nov 1999.
1947 (CL) Noel Sibbald Nicol (Ironmonger)
1952-1970 (CL) Gweneth Mary Nicol (Ironmonger)
The NWN of 22 Sep 1966 included the following article [kindly sent Aug 2016 by Jackie Markham, Librarian NWN]:
"Half a century seen over the same counter.
Mr John (Jack) Cole of Oxford Street, Eddington has just completed 50 years service as a shop assistant at the Hungerford High Street ironmongers of NS Nicol.
Since he joined the firm in 1916 when it was owned by the late Mr George Wren, he has served thousands of customers over the same elm counter. A pencilled note written on the original till under the counter shows that George Wren had the business from 1889, and it was taken over by Mr NS Nicol in 1919.
Since Mr Nicol’s death in 1949, his daughters Miss M Nicol and Miss G Nicol have been the proprietors, still trading under his name.
Mr Cole recalls that it was horses and traps and carriages that drew up in the parking area in front of his shop in the early years. “We had four saddlers working here at that time”. Rows of collars and other harness were hung up outside the shop. Most of the hardware was of copper or brass. “Today it’s all plastic” said Mr Cole, ruefully. Most of the trade in the old days was done with the big estates, and he remembered many of the old well-known families, the Wards at Chilton, the Pophams at Littlecote , Col. C Walmesley at Littlecote and Col ES Willes at Hungerford Park. Mr Cole, who is 65, is thinking of retiring next year."
1968 (T&M Register) Margaret Sibbald Nicol and Gwenyth Mary Nicol (owners until 1971)
1968 (T&M Register) Gwenyth Margy Nicol (occupier until 1971)
Follow this link to find out more about the Nicol family.
Paul Good's, 1971-1985:
1971-1985 (Paul Good) Paul Good bought the business from Nicols. Ironmonger, home decorating. Born in Maidenhead, ran dairy business in Newbury, before buying 24HS. Lived at Kintbury, later near Shalbourne, then Church Street, Hungerford.
1972 (T&M Register) Paul George Good (owner & occupier)
1976 (CL) Paul George Good (Ironmonger)
- Part of the first floor was let to Anthea Cox (Hungerford Framers) (?1978-84?)
- The front room on the north side was let to Wilbers Boutique from ?1981-1984?
1978 Paul Good - hardware
1983 (CL) Paul George Good (Ironmonger). The shop closed in 1983.
1984 (CL) Paul George Good
1985 (CL) Paul George Good
1985 Mayfern Properties Ltd. bought entire property from Paul Good.
Redeveloped as "The Courtyard", 1987:
24 North Side:
1987 Hungerford Wine Company (Nick Davies) – closed 1993 [bankrupt]. See: - "About Hungerford Wine Company" leaflet, c1992 and "The Hungerford Wine Company's Sale 19-27 Sep 1992" - Lists many local shops
Jan 1995 "Rags to Riches" – a dress agency, buy and sell 2nd hand clothes. Owner Mrs Debbie Bird – similar outlet in Cirencester since 1989. Closed 1999.
2000 (CL) Void
2000 Jun "Jump 01"
?2001 Gifts and clothes shop – closed 2003
2003 Jul Hungerford Book Shop (moved from 1 Church Street). New owner: Christopher Cook [Winding Wood]. Michael & Pat Parslew [previous owners at Church Street] continue as manager.
2005 (CL) Christopher Cook
Oct 2006: Hungerford Book Shop taken over by Alex and Emma Milne-White
2011 (CL) 24: Alex Milne-White
24a South Side:
1987 Supernews, newsagents.
6.10.1993 Supernews was ram-raided – ruining the Regency shop-front – all for £2000 worth of cigarettes!
2003 Jamie Popperwell's Coffee Shop. Re-arranged premises from HS frontage through to courtyard – delicatessen, coffee shop, picture gallery. See "Popperwell's brings an added touch of class", Adviser, 18 Jul 2003.
2005 (CL) Jamie Popperwell
April 2005 – restaurant extension to rear of coffee shop.
2005 Azuza's Coffee Shop. [owners Andrew Moyes and Mark Gent]. See "Newest coffee shop opens in the town", NWN 20 Oct 2005
2011 (CL) Void
2 Mar 2014 Azuza's closed - bought by John & Rafia Wilmott, Mark Kimchi and Samreena
Shah. To re-open as "Evelyn" in April 2014. See NWN report.
Apr 2014 Evelyn
Other units in The Courtyard:
1987 The Golden Goose, gift shop.
1987 The Galloping Crayfish Restaurant – closed 1990. See "Wine bar on the market for £95,000", NWN 15 Mar 1990.
1991 Il Palio Restaurant opened in place of The Galloping Crayfish
- The Good Food Shop (no. 4), delicatessen – closed ?1998.
c2005 "All Well and Good" Health Food Shop. (Closed end 2006)
31.5.2007 Jills Dry Cleaning and Laundry Service opened in Courtyard
Key to abbreviations:
D1 = Deeds and documents of 24 High Street
D2 = Deeds and documents of 23 High Street
WF = William Francis Map 1794
EA = Enclosure Award Map 1819
CL = Commoners List
CS = Census returns
From Norman Hidden papers:
The two bundles of deeds held by Mr Paul Good and indexed by Mr Michael Blakeway refer to two separate properties, viz. Bundle 1 (formerly the Greyhound Inn), and Bundle 2 (formerly the Crown Brewery, and before that called the Angel Inn). It will be convenient to consider the two properties separately:
Paul Good Bundle of Deeds No. 1
A printed transcript of the early entries are already in Pihlens file, comprising Nos 1 to 15A. These should be scanned in due course.
There follows 15 onwards:
Doc No. 21: (15): Abstract of Title As to One Part of the Premises. Indenture dated 16 Mar 1866 between Margaret Eliza Vaisey of Market Lavington, Wilts, widow of the first part; Henry Wren and John Matthew of Hungerford, Berks, saddlers, ironmongers and co-partners of the second part; and Joseph Belcher of Marlborough, Wilts, grocer of the third part.
- reciting an indenture of mortgage dated 4 Aug 1865 made between Henry Edward Astley and Mary Alexander of the one part; and the said HW and JM of the other part; the messuage etc was conveyed to HW and JM.
- and reciting another indenture of mortgage dated 25 Aug 1865 made between H.W. and J.M. of the one part and Margaret E. Vaisey of the other part whereby the same property was conveyed to the said M.E. Vaisey subject to redemption on payment by H.W. and J.M. to M.E.V. of £500 + interest.
- and reciting that HW and JM had already paid £100 to MEV, it was witnessed that Joseph Belcher paid £400 to MEV at the request of HW and HM.
- and MEV released the property at the request of HW and JM and they (HW and JM) granted the same to Joseph Belcher.
-viz. all that messuage, tenement, or dwelling house shops with one yard garden outbuildings and premises thereto adjoining situate on the west side of High Street over against the Market House there, then in possession and occupation of HW and JM together with the Commons and Common of Pasture for 2 horses or 4 cows … etc.
(16) 3 Oct 1889 the will of HW then of Hungerford aforesaid, saddler and ironmonger appointed his son Henry Wren junior and his son-in-law George Adler Biddis executors and trustees and devised to them his shop and interest in the premises.
(17) 31 May 1890 indenture between JM aforesaid and HW junior and George A. Biddis, reciting all the above matters and witnessing the conveyance by JM and HW junior and GAB of the premises to George Wren in consideration of the sum of £350 paid to each of them (i.e. £350 to JM; £350 to HW & GAB, total £700). The premises are now described as bounded on the north by the Inn and premises called The Crown Brewery, then in occupation of Elisha Love; on the south by a messuage and premises then belonging to and in occupation of Charles Osmond; on the east by the High Street; and on the west by a yard and buildings belonging to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and then occupied by said George Wren.
(15b): 25 May 1892 indenture Mary Ann Belcher of Marlborough, Wilts, widow, James Carter of Marlborough gent, and F.A. Brooks-Hill of Marlborough, bank manager, of the one part, and George Wren of Hungerford Berks, saddler and ironmonger of the other part.
-reciting that Joseph Belcher by his will dated 7 July 1888 appointed M.A. Belcher, James Carter, F.A. Brooks-Hill his executors. He died 10 Oct 1888, and his will was proved 7 Jan 1889, and it was witnessed that the executors conveyed to George Wren all the premises in fee simple and discharged of all claims and demands under the indenture above described.
(18) As to the Other Part of the Premises:
-by indenture dated 16 Nov 1892 between Rev. Henry Edward Moberly of St. Michael's Rectory, Winchester, clerk, of the one part, the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty of the second part; and George Wren of Hungerford Berks, ironmonger of the 3rd part;
- reciting that these premises ("the other part") formed part of the Glebelands of the benefice of St. Michael's in Winchester, of which Rev HEM was rector; and that Rev HEM had agreed to sell these premises to George Wren @ £180, it was witnessed that HEM conveyed to George Wren the said premises, viz. all that piece or parcel of land containing about 32 perches with the shed barn and stable theron situate at the rear of the premises in the occupation of the said George Wren in the High Street.
From A. Arsschavir "False Fronts in Minor Domestic Architecture" – page 114. Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society. New Series 4, 1956:
Where brick tiles ("mathematical tiles") were put up, it was usually in Flemish bond but also sometimes in a heading bond; English bond was very rare.
"In the example in Hungerford, there are courses of headers to one of stretchers with cement quoins at the end. This shop is an interesting example of a false front built up piece-meal. In all probability the original house was of exposed half timber construction with a jettied first floor. To this was added the Regency shop front and, later still, the mock brickwork of the first storey."