The northern length of Bridge Street, from the John o'Gaunt Inn to the Bear corner, was built across the old Priory of St John the Baptist land in c.1740. The Priory had stood on an island, with two branches of the river Dun passing around it. There are therefore two bridges carrying the road over the water channels.
The northern of these bridges, the one nearer the Bear, used to be called "Faulknor Bridge".
In Dec 1992 Mrs Joan Nichols, a descendant of the Faulknor family and living in Autstralia, wrote having heard from a local Hungerford friends that the Newbury Weekly News in 1991 had included a report that the council were going to carry out repairs on "Faulknor Bridge".
Follow this for more on the Faulknor family.