The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the east side of High Street (modern numbers 66-93) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Earliest information: 1753
Original estate: Hungerford Engleford
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 20ft; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building:
The only remaining thatched property in the High Street.
Description of property:
From Listed Building records: Cottage. Thatched roof, chimney to left, thatch dressed around two eaves dormers, rendered wall, thin timber framing visible internally. One and a half storeys. Two 20th century casements to left, 20th century door to right.
- 84 High Street - the "thatched cottage", Feb 2007
1753-61 (QR) Entry missing?
1774-1790 (QR) Entry missing?
1795-1804 (QR) Timothy ?Turell for house late Richard Garrets, q.r. 4d.
1805-17 (QR) Timothy ?Turrell for house late Richard Garrets, amended to George Ryley, q.r. 4d.
1818-23 (QR) George Ryley for house late Richard Garrats, q.r. 4d.
1832 (QR) George Ryley for house late Richard Garrats, q.r. 4d.
1836 (QR) Mrs Catherine Ryley for house late George Ryley's formerly Garrat's, q.r. 4d.
1847 (CL) Mrs Catherine Ryley (own); Thomas Price (occ)
1851 (CS) Thomas Price (55), waiter.
1861 (CL) ??Holmes (own); Clements (occ)
1896 (CL) Walter Cox (own); Henry Waters (occ)
1902 (T&M Register) Walter Cox (owner)
1903 (Henry Waters (occupier until ?1914)
1914 (CL) Walter Cox (own); Henry Waters (occ)
1915 (T&M Register) Widow Waters (occupier until ?1924)
1925 (T&M Register) George Edward Allen (occupier until ?1927)
1928 (T&M Register) Margaret Floyer Willes (occupier until ?1932)
Undated (T&M Register) Frederick Barnard (owner)
1932 (QR) Mr F. Barnard (Birch) for "House formerly Richard Garrat's afterwards George Ryleys then Catherine Ryley", q.r. 4d.
1933 (T&M Register) Arthur Stanley Birch (occupier until 1934)
1935 (T&M Register) Cecil Brewer (occupier until ?1937)
1938 (T&M Register) Thomas Edward Savoury (occupier)
1939 (T&M Register) Francis Tytherleigh Easton (occupier until ?1967)
1939 (Blacket's) Vacant
1947 (CL) Francis Henry Tytherleigh Easton
1952-1970 (CL) Miss Susan Smith
The NWN of 22 Sep 1966 included the following article [Kindly sent August 2016 by Jackie Markham, Librarian, NWN]:
"Only woman member to have served in First World War.
Miss Susan Smith, who is 78 next month, of 84 High Street, Hungerford is the only British Legion member at Hungerford who served with the Women’s Army in the First World War.
She has her own “war museum” of her souvenirs, including her old WAAC uniform, which she keeps in a treasured old trunk. Her only regret is that because she went to France after the Armistice was signed - although before the Treaty of Peace was signed- she missed being awarded the General Service Medal.
When she signed on in 1916 it was with the Women’s Legion and although she was with and working for the Army, it was not quite the same as being in the Army. This was changed when the Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps was formed, and she transferred to the WAACs in 1917.
She served as a cook at a cavalry school in Netheravon for most of the time until she went to France. “I would do the same again” she said. “It was warm, and comfortable and jolly”. She worked in all messes – cadets, sergeants and troops kitchens, and in the officers’ club at GHQ in Montreuil when she went to France, later going on to Wimereux near Boulogne. When her unit marched across London on their way to France it caused quite a sensation! She had her photograph taken in the trenches and saw much of the devastation of Ypres and other places. Finishing her service in 1919, she joined the Expeditionary Force Canteens unit, signing another contract, but a knee gave her trouble and it was a great disappointment to her that she had to give it up, and missed going to Cologne as she had expected. MIss Smith’s home is at Aston in Oxfordshire.
In 1939 she went to Canada for eight years to bring up some young nieces who were orphaned and in 1947 came to Hungerford as housekeeper to the late Mr F Easton.".
1968 (T&M Register) Susan Smith (occupier until 1973)
1974 (T&M Register) Joan Florence Norman (owner until 1976)
1976 (CL) Hew Lloyd Jones
1977 (T&M Register) Huw Lloyd-Jones & Sall Ann Jones (owners & occupier until 1978)
1979 (T&M Register) David Gordon Hall Powell (owner & occupier)
1981 (T&M Register) Edward McNought Davis (occupier)
1983 (CL) David Gordon Hall Powell
1984 (CL) David Gordon Hall Powell
1985 (CL) David Gordon Hall Powell
2000 (CL) Robert Doyle
2005 (CL) Mr J Pomeroy
2007 Mike Bowyer
2011 (CL) Eileen Bowyer
2016 (CL) Eileen Bowyer
From Norman Hidden papers:
84, 83-78 High Street inclusive
In the will of Abiam Tubb 1779 he left a block of 4 tenements to his niece Elizabeth Naxton (Knackstone), in two of which Elizabeth was living; the others were occupied by James Adams and Moses Pocock. Elizabeth was the daughter of John Tubb, Abiam's brother. The tenement block was said to be next to the house of Jane Betteridge. It is probably the burgage plot which is marked John Knackstone on the Enclosure Award Map of 1819. The same map shows the neighbouring plot on the north to belong to Hall, and the neighbouring plot on the south to berlong to J. Burgess. The early 19th century quit rent rolls do not include these properties. This is presumably because Hall's property was a former Hungerford Englefield property, Knackstone derived his via Tubb from the Dean and Canons of Windsor (Rectorial ten no 7 + 2 acres), and Burgess also held a former Hungerford Englefield property. More evidence is needed, however, to substantiate this presumption, and until the plot is exactly pin-pointed, it is difficult to make use of earlier surveys to trace its history.
Elizabeth Tubb married John Knackstone in 1771, and she was buried in 1785.
DCW will of John Knackstone, shoemaker, dated June 1821 – leaves all leasehold messuages and lands to Charles Salisbury baker, and William Fox, carpenter, on trust to dispose of by auction and to put the money into securities for Ruth Knackstone, daughter-in-law; but if she marry, then to Betty Neale, widow of William Neale. After the death of daughter-in-law, various provisions including to sister Sarah Dare(?), w/o Joseph D. Probate Aug 1822. There is also 1822 DCW will of Hannah Knackstone.
1814 DCW survey. ?John Knackstone – tenement and 3r garden +1 acre 2r arable.
86/85 Hall (H.E)
83/84 Knackstone (rectorial)
77 Burgess (H.E.)
Sun Fire Insurance Vol. 267, no. 39974, dated 30 June 1778: John Naxton shoemaker on his ..?three?.. tenements in 1 building in tenure of himself and others. Brick and tiled.