072-railway c1892 -
Hungerford station, c1892. The original G.W.R. broad gauge track was changed to standard gauge in July 1874, but this photograph still shows the track laid on longitudinal sleepers (baulk road track), rather than the more familiar type seen today. This view looking west towards the town shows the station building (on the "down" platform) before the footbridge was built. These station buildings are thought to have been opened in 1871.