The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the east side of High Street (modern numbers 66-93) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Earliest information: <1500
Original estate: ?Chantry of Blessed Virgin Mary (??Chantry of Holy Trinity)
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 31ft with 85 High Street; 1 horse or 2 cows)
Date of current building: 1449
Listed? Yes - Grade II
Despite the appearance of the High Street frontage, 85 & 86 High Street comprise a two-bay cruck house, which had a single bay open hall at its north end (86 High Street). The roof of the north bay is heavily smoke blackened. Smooth single curved cruck blades are held by a saddle which carries square set ridge-pieces.
It is the only property in Hungerford known to have a cruck frame construction, and it is very possible that 85 & 86 High Street are the oldest surviving properties in the town.
In October 2009 the timbers of 86 High Street were assessed for dendrochronological study. The project was a joint initiative between the owners (Clive and Dianne Wynell-Sutherland), the Hungerford Historical Association (under Chairman Lois Pihlens), and Andy Moir of Tree-Ring Services.
The result of the survey was of great interest, and two of the samples could be precisely dated to a felling date during the winter of 1448/49. It is likely that the two-bay house was erected in 1449. This is only 50 years after John of Gaunt died.
If you would be interested in having your timber-framed property assessed for tree-ring dating, please contact Andy Moir via the Tree-Ring Services website.
- 86 High Street (pink), Mar 2007
- Conjectural reconstruction of timber construction by John Brooks, c1985
1777 (NH) 86 and 87 HS (I think NH is referring to 85-86 HS – HLP) were inhabited in 1777 by Edward Sheppard in one and by Mary Wells and her sisters in the other.
1847 (CL) William Robert Hall (own); Jerry Gregory (occ)
1861 (CS) William King (35) Harnessmaker (Mary White in 87 HS, proprietor of house)
1861 (CL) Mrs. White (own) - William King (occ) (a Mrs White was occ of 87 H/S)
1871 (CS) William Pearce King - saddler
1881 (CS) William Lovelock - Engine fitter
1896 (CL) Lydia White (own); William Lovelock (occ)
1902 (T&M Register) Heir of George White (owner)
1903 (T&M Register) William Lovelock (occupier until 1911)
1912 (T&M Register) arthur Francis Robert Rogers (occupier until ?1914)
1914 (CL) Walter Barnard (own); Mrs Noyce (occ)
1914 (*2) Mrs Eunice Noyce moved from Portsmouth. Mrs Rogers previous occupant.
1915 (T&M Register) Eunice Noyce (occupier until ?1921)
1922 (T&M register) Edward Noyce (occupier until ?1930)
1931 (T&M Register) Mrs Eunice Noy ce (occupier)
Undated (T&M Register) Frederick Barnard (owner)
1932 (QR) Mr Barnard (Stallibrass), for House late W.R. Hall, q.r. 4d.
1939 (Blacket's) Mrs E.J. Noyce
1947-1956 (CL) Mrs Eunice Noyce
1956 (*2) Mrs Noyce died. Bought by Mr Morley (builder) resold to Clive Norman.
1963-1970 (CL) Clive Theodor Norman (Joan Florence Norman in 85H/S)
1968 (T&M Register) Clive Theodor Norman (owner)
1968 (T&M Register) Clive Theodor Norman (occupier until 1971)
1969 (T&M Register) Joan Florence Norman (owner until 1976)
1972 (T&M Register) Joan Florence Norman (occupier until 1975)
1975 (*1) Mr & Mrs Norman added new frontage. Mr N. died in 86H/S
1976-1981 (CL) Michael John Rowlands
1977 (T&M Register) Michael John Rowlands & Gillian Margaretta Rowlands (owners & occupier)
1981 (*1) Charles & Irene Low (moved from 130H/S)
1983 (CL) Charles Peter Low
1984 (CL) Charles Peter Low
1985 (CL) Charles Peter Low (died Jan 1990)
2000 (CL) Adrian Emmett
2003 Clive ("Spike") and Dianne Wynell-Sutherland
2005 (CL) Clive Wynell-Sutherland
2011 (CL) Clive Wynell-Sutherland
2016 (CL) Clive Wynell-Sutherland
2018 Sold by Wynell-Sutherlands to Kate Edwards and Nick Shlanker
*1 = Mrs Irene Low
*2 = Mrs Edmonds (daughter of Mrs Noyce)
From Norman Hidden papers:
Regarding 84, 85, and 86 High Street:
Various factors combine to present some uncertainties here as to the earlier history of these properties and/or their sites.
Dobbins = Gosling Rev. J.C. Townsend Thomas Poffley F. Stockbridge
The thatched cottage (84HS) to be a later addition and without Commoners Rights,
..then the following might be the history of nos. 85 & 86HS:
These are 2 or possibly 3 former tenements belonging 1 burgage to the Chantry of the B.V.M. in Hungerford, the gift of Thomas Dyne and ½ burgage to the Chantry of the Holy Trinity.
In 1552 the same, except
(i) "late" chantry property, the chantry having been dissolved by Henry VIII
(ii) Trinity tenement late in tenure of Hy Kingston, now in tenure of Jn Rowland, B.V.H. and 2 acres of land late in tenure of Wm Abyse(?) and now of Thomas Awstyn. In each case the Holy Trinity is ½ burgage and on north and BVM is 1 burgage, and on south side.
In 1573 the ?covenant ?tenement names are confused, there being two ½ burgages late of Our Lady on the north side, and 1 burgage late of Holy Trinity on south, and 2 acres. The misattribution of chantries is clearly an error, but the property on the north side has "doubled". The tenants, all of whom have a lease by indenture from the "former" of the late chantry rents, are Thomas Bacon, Nicholas Clowghe and Edmund Browne.
The 1591 survey repeats the misattribution of the earlier survey of 1573, and shows Clowghe and Browne still in possession. It is not clear, however, who, if anyone, has succeeded Bacon. Clowghe, we are told, paid, in addition to a quit rent of 4d., an annual rent of 10 shillings.
The surveys 1606-1609 show the same set up – widow Joan Clowes on the north side (quit rent 4d, representing a half burgage), then George Sharpis similarly (half burgage) then on the south side widow Browne in 1609 taking the place of Robert Browne in 1606, plus 2 acres, but quit rent 4d (1/2 burgage).
We know that Nicholas Clowes was a weaver; his wife Siby (nee May) died in 1588, and Nicholas himself in 1594. Another Nicholas Clowes, broad weaver, died 1597; his wife Joan (nee Pearce) came from Combe. She survived, possibly until 1631. They had a son, Nicholas, baptised 1590.
Thomas Bacon died 1594.
In 1594 was buried "Mother Browne, mother to Robert Browne, labourer". Robert Browne died 1607.
1605 burial of Jone daughter of George Sharpis.
George Sharpis buried 4 March 1616/17.
In 1676 widow Clowes occupies a position in the QRR analogues. She might be the widow of Gilbert Clowdes (buried 1662) who leaves a D/S will referring to his dwelling house (leasehold) but there may have been other Clow(d)es at the time and one cannot be sure.
Gilbert Cloudes is only male with that surname in the Protestation Oath sgnatories from Hungerford (1641/2).
Tenuous as this account is up to this point, therafter the trail goes even vaguer.
Gilbert Clowdes will and inventory, for what it may be worth, makes the following points concerning his dwelling (which may or may not be present-day 86HS, 85 or even 84HS):-
Photocopy of hand-written notes in file.
History of the Site, owned by W.R. Hall in 1847.
There are problems with this area, in marrying up the earlier history with the 19th century since several extra buildings have been erected between 87HS and 77HS (The Borough Arms), which do not appear in the earlier records. Also, the reverse process whereby a present-day house may have previously been 2 separate tenements.
If 88/87HS (Dobbins) is on the site indicated is on the site indicated in the 1819 Award Map as Poffley, then the next (south) shown on the Award Map is Hall.
1. Do you know what the letters R. and H. on the map mean? The present building on the site marked Hall seems to consist of nos 86HS and 85HS.
2. Do you know who owned 84HS (the thatched cottage), whether it has common rights, and whether despite a thatched roof it is a relatively late construction?
3. Do the names Stallibras or Beck (?Burch?) mean anything to you in the 20th century Commoners Lists?
There is a long history to no 87HS (Dobbins) but the descent of 86/85HS is harder to follow. Your George White and Mrs Noyce who move out of one building into the next create uncertainties.
86/87 HS: (I think NH is referring to 85-86 HS – HLP): These two tenements were inhabited in 1777 by Edward Sheppard in one and by Mary Wells and her sisters in the other. In 1777 William Tubb and Mary Wells were freesuitors (*5 of 97/98HS). In 1781 both Mary Wells and her spinster sister Elizabeth died (*6 of 97/98HS), the freesuitors in that year being Thomas Tubb and ..?.. Sheppard (*7 of 97/98HS).
- "Dendrology Dating of 85-86 High Street" 2009, by Andy Moir [HHA Archive S92]