Charnham Street. <1725 - c1836
The Swan, also known as the Black Swan, was another of the coaching inns on Charnham Street. Its date of origin is not known,
In 1725 Robert Elliot, who owned the Three Swans in the High Street, died, and he also owned the Black Swan in Charnham Street, in the possession of Thomas Nobes, which he left to his wife Mary and after her death to his son William. Probate was granted 6 June 1726.
In 1780 (and in 1781) a Land Tax of 2s:2½d was paid by Mrs Selbey "for the Swan" - Francis Bunce occupier.
The 1792 Universal British Directory records George Chesterman at the "Swan", who is still there in 1796 (Berkshire Directory) George Chesterman.
Strangely, the Swan is not mentioned in the 1815 Land Tax Assessment.
1823 Pigot Directory: "One Swan", William Salt, landlord. No doubt the name "One Swan" was to distinguish it from the Three Swans (in the High Street).
The Swan is amongst those listed in the 1836 Old Moores Almanac, but there is no known later record.
We would welcome further information on this topic