Templeton House was a large house about 1½ miles south-east of Hungerford. just west of Inglewood House. It has been demolished and the Templeton Stud has been built where the house once stood.
It formed part of the enormous Inglewood Estate until this was split up and sold by auction on 19 Jun 1928. The entire estate was sold in 47 lots, and included Inglewood Park (123 acres), Kintbury Farm (87 acres), Hungerford Park (394 acres), Sadlers Farm (266 acres), Totterdown House (64 acres), Anvills Farm (653 acres), Sanham Green Farm (270 acres), Coldharbour and Little Templeton Farms (287 acres), Templeton (166 acres), Inlease Farm (154 acres), Avington Manor Farm (561 acres), and Radley Farm (645 acres) - 4,225 acres in all. There was extensive fishing, many other properties and woodland. The full Sale Particulars run to over 60 pages!
Inglewood Estate had been owned by the Walmesley family since 1893. In December 1919 Humphrey Walmesley died, and the estate passing to Major Charles Talbot Walmesley (1881-1960). Both had taken an active part in local affairs, and gradually built up the Inglewood estate, until by the time they sold it in 1928 it comprised 4,225 acres.
- Templeton House, undated [A. Parsons]
- Templeton House, undated [A. Parsons]
- Templeton House (from Sale Particulars, 1928) [A. Parsons]
The 1928 Sale:
The sale particulars describe Templeton as follows:
"That Delightful Country Family Residence known as "Templeton", occupying a choice situation, 350 feet above sea level, 1½ miles from Kintbury Station and a mile from the village.
The residence is attractive, being brick-built, the upper part hung with tiles and it is part creeper-clad, surrounded by a Park, is approached through two Carriage Drives, and contains:-
On the Ground Floor:
Enclosed Glazed Porch
Lounge Hall, about 25ft 6in by 18ft 10in exclusive of bay window, pillars and beams support the ceiling. It has a Devon grate and carved wood chimney-piece, and is also heated by radiator. The walls partly wainscotted with old oak.
Drawing Room, about 23ft by 17ft. It has Adam style chimney-piece, an oak beam and pair of casements opening to Grounds. Radiator. South aspect.
Morning Room, 18ft 8in by 16ft. South aspect.
Dining Room, about 24ft 6in exclusive of bay window and large inglenook by 18ft 6in. The inglenook and chimney-opiece are of oak. The aspects are West and North. Service door.
School or Smoking Room, about 16ft 6in by 13ft, with hob grate.
Large Cloakroom, Lavatory with hot and cold supplies. W C, Silver Safe.
A baize-covered door shuts off the
Domestic Offices, which comprise Butler's Pantry, Servants' Hall, Kitchen, Larder, Scullery, and Servants' W C.
Principal and Secondary Staircase lead to
The First Floor, which is heated by radiators.
No 1 Bedroom, is a lofty half-timbered room measuring about 24ft by 17ft, with inner door to
Bathroom, which is well fitted up and contains towel airer.
No 2 Bedroom, about 18ft 6in by 12ft, fitted with oak wardrobe cupboards.
No 3 Bedroom, about 20ft by 15ft
No 4 Bedroom, about 16ft by 14ft 4in
Large well-fitted Bathroom.
2 W C's
No 5 Bedroom, about 15ft 6in by 13ft 3in, containing wardrobe cupboard.
No 6 Bedroom, about 18ft by 16ft exclusive of bay window, also containing cupboards.
Well-fitted Housemaid's Room, with hot and cold supplies and waste.
No 7 Bedroom, about 15ft 8in by 13ft 2in.
No 8 Bedroom, about 15ft 6in by 12ft 2in.
On the Second Floor:
Landing, heated by radiator.
Six more good bedrooms, several containing wardrobe cupboards.
Linen Cupboard. Maid's hot and cold supplies and waste.
Game and General Larders.
Wine Cellar and Stoke House.
Excellent Modern Sanitation with good fall.
The Water Supply is by gravitation from Spring and Reservoir in Wood No 706 on Plan and also by the Estate Ram.
Electric Light generated on the premises from Hornsby engine.
Complete Central Heating from Stoke House by means of radiators.
The Buildings comprise Paved Yard, Wood and Coal Houses, Engine House
Two garages, Harness Room, two Living Rooms for Chauffeur, Granary, four Loose Boxes, Cattle Shed and Piggeries.
A Pair of First-Class Well-built modern cottages.
Delightful old grounds, including Large Croquet Lawn surrounded by Yes and other Hedges and dwarf flint walls; Lawns, lovely Rose Garden, Thatched Summer House, Tennis Lawn, Rose-covered Pergola. Flower, Peach and Nectarine Houses, Brich Krame, Potting House. Large Fruit and Kitchen Garden. orchard.
Surrounding the above are well-timbered park and picturesque woodlands and other lands, the whole being about 165a 3r 17p.
At the time of the sale, "the residence, cottages, buildings and lands are let on lease to Bernard N Fraser Esq, together with right of water supply from Reservoir as shown in Wood numbered 706 on plan, for 14 years from 29 September 1923, with option to terminate on either side at the expiration of the first seven years, at £300 per annum, the Lessor being under obligation to compensate the Tenant at end of Lease for Tenant's Fixtures and Fittings taken over by him which the Tenant does not wish to remove. Vacant possession can therefore be obtained on 29th September 1930."
It is thought that Templeton House was built by a Mr. Lidderdale (see letter from Mrs. Goddard, 1991).
Research by the HHA (Fae Morgan in 1998) led to Mr. Mundell at Templeton Nurseries. He spoke of Miss Fraser, from Kintbury, who had lived in the house as a child.
The Fraser family - father, mother, and three children, moved to the house which was rented to them in 1923. They moved out seven years later because Mr. Fraser disliked the constant sound of the bells from Inglewood House which at that time was a Seminary for Carmelite priests (they have since moved to St. Cassian House, Kintbury).
Miss Fraser remembered the house and the extensive grounds, with three tennis courts. The grounds were planted with broadleaf trees, some of which were immature. She talked climbing trees, playing tennis and romping in the grounds.
Indoor staff consisted of a cook, a kitchen maid, a housemaid and a "tweeny". The present loose boxes of the stud are sited on two of the tennis courts.
The family departed in the early thirties. At one time it was converted into flats, after which it fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished sometime after 1959 (see Mrs Goddard's letter).
The area of Templeton House is now the estate office for Avington Estate, and the site of Templeton Stud Farm.
In late 2011 the stud was renamed Trinity House Stud (www.trinityparkstud.co.uk).