The Avington Estate lies about 3km (just under 2 miles) to the east of Hungerford.
The holders of Avington Manor from 1086 were Richard Puingant, passing in 1166 to Richard de Camville who died at the siege of Acre in 1191. The Camvilles held it until 1226 when the son of the Earl of Salisbury took possession until succeeded by the Earl of Lincoln. After this it was held by Embold, Le Strange, William Coventre, Choke, Dowse, Jones and Sir Francis Burdett.
In 1959 Nigel Turner, of Avington Manor, was found guilty of drink driving. See "Hungerford Director fined £50" NWN 16 Apr 1959.
Through the 1970 and 80s this was the estate owned by Lord Howard de Walden, and after his death the Lady Howard de Walden.
The river Kennet flows through the estate, where there is prime fishing - as at Hungerford.
See Avington Estate website: https://www.avingtonestate.co.uk/
Close to the main house lies the remarkable Norman church of Avington.
- Avington Fishing Hut, 1938
- Avington Rectory 1935 (Demolished 1950s)