17 & 18 Charnham Street were a pair of semi-detached cottages just to the west of the Red Lion Inn.
- Charnham Street, c1920 showing 18 & 17 Charnham Street on the left.
- The Wesleyan Chapel and Charnham Street, c1920.
- Charnham Street, c1925 showing 18 & 17 Charnham Street on the left. (Albert Parsons)
The history of ownership and occupation of the properties in this part of Charnham Street is very speculative. Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
#59: John Andrews (37), carpenter.
-- House uninhabited --
#60 Harriett Moulding - White Hart Inn, 20 Charnham St.
#89 west: John Carey (37), butcher, wife Eliza (34), mother-in-law.
#90 east: George Chesterman (55), post house master, wife Charlotte (40), 4 sons, 2 servants.
#86 (west): Thomas Middleton (35), plumber, painter and glazier, wife Sarah (35), 1 son, 1 apprentice, 1 lodger. (?18 Charnham Street)
#87: Thomas Jelfs (66), Auctioneer, wife Anne (58), 1 daughter. (?17 Charnham Street)
#88 (east): Lion Inn (16 Charnham Street)
1881 Census: west to east:
#84: James Wise (80), shoe maker, wife Jane (82)
#85: William Stevens (23), upholstery master, wife Emily (24), 1 brother.
#86: John Frampton (72), coach builder, wife Harriett (70), 2 daughters.
#87: Arthur Jessett (26), baker, confectioner, wife Louise (28), 1 son, 1 daughter, 1 servant.
#88: Red Lion Inn.
1891 Census: David Highett (31), coach builder, wife Mary (32), 2 sons, 3 daughters, 1 boarder. [tbc]
1894 Charnham Street Floods: Marlborough Times of 17th November 1894 reported "...the inhabitants of the houses between the Bear and Mr. Gibbon's Iron Foundry were, if anything, in a worse plight. Mr Pinchen's house near the Fire Station was flooded, as was also the Engine House. Mr. Skinner's shop and dining room had nearly 2ft. of water in them, and boxes and confectionery bottles were floating about. The whole of Faulknor Square was under water, and had the appearance of a large lake. All the houses in the square were flooded, and the inhabitants had to remove upstairs, provisions, where needed, being drawn up in baskets. Mr. Hidden was a considerable sufferer, as to carpets and furniture. Mr. Edmonds and Mr. Pearce had their underground kitchens invaded, and as their supply of provisions and fuel were in them, they were cut off from food and firing. In the houses of Mr. Wren and Mr. Gibbons, the water rose to a great height, and the fire in the grate at Mr. Gibbons's was put out. Mrs. Withers, too, at the Red Lion Inn, had a terrible time of it, and the houses of Mr. Andrews, Mr. Lamsden, Mr. Buxey, and Mr. Joyce were also flooded."
(1895 Kelly Dir: David Highett, coach builder, Charnham Street - position yet to be confirmed - HLP)
1901 Census: George Hidden (71), Pianoforte Tuner, with daughter Madeleine. [tbc]
#103 Thomas Wheeler - The Red Lion
#102 William Wiggins (39, )shoeing and jobbing smith, wife Ada (39), 2 sons, 2 daughter, wife's father and mother (Charles & Harriet Oakes, retired blacksmith), 1 brother, 1 lodger (assistant blacksmith), 7 rooms.
#101 William Smith (65), gardener domestic, wife Emma (54), 3 sons, 2 daughers, 1 nephew, 1 niece, 1 visitor, 3 bedrooms, 2 living rooms.
1939 Blacket's Dir: Mrs Wheeler, W Withers.
1940 Blacket's Dir: Mrs Withers (probably moved from the Red Lion), W Wheeler