Date of current building: 16th century
Listed? Grade II
Description of property:
From Listed Building records (compiled 1984 from work done 1951): Terraced cottages. C16, 17 and 18. Thatched roof, half hipped to left, ridge chimneys one bay from left and centre. Painted brick with timber frame and brick infill exposed on end gable wall. 2 storeys.
To left: 3 irregular casements to first floor, one vertical sliding sash and C20 shop window to ground floor.
To centre: plain door.
To right: Two 3 light leaded casements with iron frames and cambered heads on ground floor.
- Charnham House Antiques, c1980.
- The Gentleman's Shop, Charnham House, Jun 2010
The history of ownership and occupation of the properties in this part of Charnham Street is very speculative. Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
The properties were originally two adjacent individual properties:
29 Charnham Street:
1600 The 1951/1984 Listed Building report suggests the building has 16th century and later features.
The Swan Inn: (c1725 - c1819 - unconfirmed)
The Swan Inn was a coaching innon the Bath Road. It was also know at various times as the "Black Swan" and the "One Swan".
In 1725 Robert Elliot, who owned the Three Swans in the High Street, died. He also owned the Black Swan in Charnham Street, in the possession of Thomas Nobes, which he left to his wife Mary and after her death to his son William. Probate was granted 6th June 1726.
1780 (and in 1781) a Land Tax Assessment for this, or a nearby property, of 2s:2½d was paid by Mrs Selbey "for the Swan, occupied by Francis Bunce".
The 1792 Universal British Directory records George Chesterman at the "Swan", who is still there in 1796 (Berkshire Directory) George Chesterman.
1815 Land Tax Assessment: Strangely, the Swan is not mentioned in the 1815 Land Tax Assessment.
1819 Enclosure Award Map: This, or a nearby property, is labelled "Swan", See "The Swan".
1823 Pigot Directory: "One Swan", William Salt, landlord. No doubt the name "One Swan" was to distinguish it from the Three Swans (in the High Street).
The Swan is amongst those listed in the 1836 Old Moores Almanac, but there is no known later record.
It may have been that The Swan became renamed The White Lion, but there is no evidence for this yet.
The White Lion Inn: (c1830 - c1850 - unconfirmed)
1830 Pigot Directory: Thomas Morrell, White Lion PH (our earliest record by name)
1841 Census: Charnham Street: Thomas Morrell, publican at The White Lion Inn
1844 Pigot: Thomas Morrell - tavern and public house
1844 Snare: Thomas Morrell - innkeeper
1847 Kelly: Thomas Morrell
1847 Snare: Thomas Morrell - innkeeper
1850 Slater: Francis Pocock, White Lion tavern and public house
Domestic and trade use: (c1850 - present - unconfirmed)
1851 Census: #74: Henry Nobes (37), tailor, wife Mary (46), straw bonnet maker.
1861 Census: #75: Henry Nobes (47), tailor, wife Mary (57), straw bonnet maker.
1869 PO Dir: Henry Nobes, tailor, Charnham Street
1871 Census: #74: Henry Nobes (56), tailor, wife Mary (66), straw bonnet maker.
1881 Census: Henry Nobes (66), tailor, wife Mary (77).
1891 Census: David North (46), builders labourer, wife Hannah (48), 3 sons, 1 daughter, 1 son-in-law, 2 lodgers.
1901 Census: David North (54), Carter to a builder, wife Hannah, 1 son, 1 daughter,1 visitor.
1911 Census: #137: David North (62), general labourer, wife Hannah (67), 1 grand-child, 1 boarder (a pisiculturist), 6 rooms.
1939 Blacket's Dir: Miss H Smith
1940 Blacket's Dir: Mrs C D Randall
At some date after this, 29 and 30 became a single dwelling (see below).
30 Charnham Street
1841 Census: Charles Dubber (68), shoe maker, wife Ann (60), 1 son.
1851 Census: #75: Moses Sims (47), fishmonger, wife Eliza (45)
1861 Census: #74 Jerome Lionel (24), artist, wife Laura, (22).
1871 Census: #75: James Minchin(?) (51), farmer, wife Jane (44), 1 son, 1 daughter, 2 lodgers.
1881 Census: #73: John Ball (34), basket maker, wife Charlotte (49).
1891 Census: #138: James Harris (36), plumber, wife Clara (35), 1 son, 7 daughters.
1901 Census: James Harris (46) Plumber, wife Clara (44), 1 son, 4 daughters.
1911 Census: James Harris (56), plumber, wife Clara (54), 1 son, 5 rooms.
1939 Blacket's Dir: Crosby Bull, chimney sweep
1940 Blacket's Dir: A H Sumpter
29-30 Charnham Street
c1955/56 (Ruth Drury, nee Parry-Jones, Jul 2019) Bought by Major Raymond Tyrer (Ruth's grandfather). "#29 was lived in by Mr and Mrs Walters who were long term tenants and continued there for some years. My Grandfather ran an antiques shop in #30 called ‘Tyrers’ - specialising in antique guns. I lived there with my Grandparents and mother. In c1964 (now known to be 28th April 1966 - thanks to Roger Day) a removal van (belonging to Guest Carriers) crashed into the corner of #30 damaging the upstairs and downstairs rooms requiring us to move out whilst repairs were carried out. We moved into #29 and the Walters moved into what was then called a council house.
We remained in #29 and 30 until c.1967."
c1978 Charnham House Antiques
1988 Medalcrest Ltd. (Douglas and Mireille Farrow) "9 rooms of 18th and 19th century walnut, oak and mahogany furntiure, barometers, longcase, bracket and carriage clocks and interesting period smalls".
Nov 2013: The Gentleman's Shop moved (as The Gentleman's Barbers Shop) to 10 High Street. Robert Johnston continued his on-line business.
Nov 2013: The Gentleman's Shop won both the Newbury Business Improvement District Independant Retail Award 2013 and the coveted title of Business of the year 2013. See "Best in West Berkshire", NWN 7 Nov 2013.
Aug 2016: Connisons Antiques opened (Jenny Dearman and Tony Edwards, ex Cotswolds). See "New faces in town's antiques world", NWN 11 Aug 2016.
Oct 2017: Perfectly Posh Aveda Concept Salon (moved from 47 High Street)
- "The Gentleman's Shop advert", c2002.