Emma Mulder kindly contacted the Virtual Museum (Aug 2014) with information and photographs of her grand-father Douglas Wilmott, who lived during his later life in Plough House, 49 High Street, Hungerford.
Douglas Wilmott was born c1888 and died 1980. He served in the Berkshire Yeomanry during the First World War:
"He was in the Berkshire Yeomanry and was at Gallipoli. Thankfully he survived and we have some photos of him on his horse etc, which we would like to give to the museum.
My grandfather met his wife Hilda Matsell when he was stationed in North Norfolk. According to my mother, he was a scout in the war."
Andrew French (Asst Hon Curator, The Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Cavalry Museum) added: "Douglas Wilmott would have joined a year of two before the war and on the outbreak was posted to 2nd Troop of B Squadron."
She was able to identify (the man on horseback) as "Tpr D Wilmott and I can say it was taken Sept-Oct 1914".
Also available at the Yeomanry Museum:
- 2 Troop B (Reading) Sqdn - Autumn 1914.jpg
- 7-3 Formal 2nd Troop B Sqdn Kasr el Nil Summer 1915. WE Bond Album.JPG
- Willmot Tpr D (B2) middle 9th left Formal B2 Tp Group Kasr el Nil Summer 1915.jpg
- wilmott D.doc
- Wilmott Tpr D (B2) (ex C) 4th rear rank - 2nd Troop B (Reading) Sqdn - Autumn 1914.jpg
- Wilmott Tpr D 1854 (B2) ex C (Hungerford) - Chronicle Sept 24th 1915 Blyde Cutting Album.jpg"
- Douglas Wilmott, 6 Mar 1916 In Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Uniform [From Emma Mulder]
- Douglas Wilmott, In Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Uniform [From Emma Mulder]
- The HVFB outside the fire station, Charnham Street. Back row L-R: Ted Stevens, Alf Macklin, then Harry Giles, J Whiscombe,???. Front: George Willis, ???, ???, Louis Beard, Rev Tom Gray, O Richens, Doug Wilmott, Harry Chapman.
- Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Camp Douglas Wilmott 6th from left [From Emma Mulder]
- Tpr D Wilmott on his horse "Rambler", Sep-Oct 1914. [Kindly sent by Emma Mulder]
- Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Camp. [From Emma Mulder]
- Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Camp. Douglas Wilmott 2nd from left. [From Emma Mulder]
- Douglas Wilmott, 14 May 1918 In Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Uniform. [From Emma Mulder]