The report in the Newbury Weekely News (6 Feb 1947) of James Smallbones death, gives a good summary of his life:
- Born c1862, son of James Smallbones of Great Bedwyn (butcher and farmer),
- Educated at Westfield House boarding school, Hungerford,
- Married c1895, 2 sons and 3 daughters.
- Travelled to Australia when young - joined Freemasons aged 25 years (c1887), and then to America.
- Returned to Hungerforrd. Became agent to several assurance companies.
- Founder member of Hungerford Freemasons Lodge. (Brian Sylvester kindly added that he was the founding Inner Guard of the Hungerford Lodge when consecrated on 9 Jun 1925).
- District Councillor, Board of Guardians of the Workhouse, and others.
- Lived at 11 Church Street.