The Hungerford and District Rifle Club approached the Church House Trustees in 1913 to seek permission to build a rifle Range in the Church House Garden. Following a meeting on 18th February, funds were speedily raised.
The work was proceeding apace. By March "A very effective fence of sleepers has been erected, and the stop butt and shooting hut and room are under construction." The range was soon completed, and was opened by Capt Sawbridge (of Denford Park) on 10th April 1913. The President (Major Portal) and Mrs Portal "kindly entertained the large company to tea in the Church House. A Ladies' Competition was arranged by the Committee for ladies. The first prize, given by Mrs ER Portal, ws won by Mrs Gray (the wife of the Vicar), and the second prize, given by the Committee, was won by Miss M. Newhook."
- Astor Challenge Rifle Cup, 21 June 1906. The Hungerford and District Rifle Club won the Astor Challenge Cup (Berkshire County) in 1906. The team members and their scores were: W. Blake (Capt.), 84; E. Clements, 83; W. Chapman, 82; A. Bartholomew, 77; A. Macklin, 78; and P. Jessett, 72; Total, 476. The result was a tight one, with the other teams scoring as follows: Wokingham 475; Windsor, 440; Reading, 428; Newbury Guildhall, 427; and
Bucklebury, 209. Poor Bucklebury – not a good day! Ernest Clements is 2nd from R in back row.
Parish magazines, esp Mar 1913, May 1913