Earliest information: 1470
Original Estate: Chantry of Holy Trinity
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 31ft; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building: c.1882
Holy Trinity -> Dudley & Whitehorn -> Pennye -> Lovelacke -> Cannon -> Robinson & Stephens -> Sare -> Pocock -> Townsend -> drapers (Gray Robinson) -> Bank (Capital & Counties -> Lloyds)
Description of property:
- Lloyds TSB, 118 High Street, Mar 2007
- Charles Robinson, draper, 118 High Street, c1876
1470 (NH) Holy Trinity chantry, ½ burgage. q.r. 4d. There was a building in existence on this site in 1470, representing half a burgage (quit rent 4d) in the possession of the Holy Trinity chantry.
1552 (NH) Holy Trinity (now dissolved). In 1552 the corresponding site belonging to the same chantry (now dissolved) would seem to have been "one tenement with stables late in the tenure of William Dudley and now in the tenure of Richard Whitehorn"; but the quit rent is here said to be 8d. A draft lease of chantry properties in 1548 shows that a lease was granted in that year to Richard Whitehorn as a tenant at will, paying an annual rent of 16 shillings.
1573 (NH) Leased to Richard Pennye. In 1573 the premises were being leased, together with three half acres of land in the Breach field, to Richard Pennye.Possibly the addition of these three half acres may have been the cause of the increase in quit rent noted in 1552 and continues in 1573.
1589 (NH) Richard Pennye died.
1591 (NH) Roger Lovelacke. In 1591, however, Richard Pennie having died in 1589, the survey of former chantry properties shows that widow Pennie was tenant of a chantry property with 2 acres of arable land at an annual rent of 10 shillings and a quit rent of 4d p.a.; but this may be Lucy Penny, widow of Richard's brother Thomas (died 1586). A more probable candidate is Roger Lovelacke who rented a messuage, garden and backside with 1½ acres arable at a rent of 20s plus 4d p.a. quit rent.
1598 (NH) In 1598 Lovelacke's house was said to be "in decay of timbering and will occupy 4 tons of timber for repair thereof". The tenement was said to contain 4 fields of housing and a cote. I take this to mean that the house contained 4 bays and had an adjoining small cottage.
1609 (NH) Thomas Cannon. In 1609 the tenement, identifiable by its accompanying 1 ½ acres of arable land, was being let to Thomas Cannon (q.r. 8d).
Between this date and 1676 we have no further record of it.
1675/76 (NH) ?Richard Hawkins, grocer, of London. (see 1676 below)
1676 (NH) ?George Hamblin. In 1676 it may be the property listed in the QRR as George Hamlen, q.r. 8d. According to a deed of 20 Jan 1675/6 the messuage was owned by Richard Hawkins, grocer of London. I suspect that Hawkins had acquired the chantry lease (which included Market House, formerly Gross(?) House, and which he conveyed to the town trustees in 1688), of which this property was one. It is possible, therefore, that Hamblin held an underlease and was responsible for payment of the quit rent.
Hawkins leased the messuage in 1676 to Jehosophat Stephens the elder (son of Edmund Stephens the elder) on the basis of three lives, at a yearly rental of 10 shillings.
1687 (NH) Thomas Robinson and Edmund Stephens. In 1687 Jehosophat the elder assigned his lease to Thomas Robinson ..?.. and Edmund Stephens.
1691 (NH) Edith Sare: Thomas Robinson and Edmund Stephens in turn in 1691 devised the residue of their lease to Edith Sare on the same terms as in the lease of 1676.
The description of the location of this house given in this 1691 deed shows it to have lain in 1676 between the land or tenements of John Hamlyn and Edmund Stephens on the north (??120 HS, Hello Flower, qv), and that of William Bell on the south (117 HS Three Swans). The property was a leasehold one, part of the premises of the one-time, dissolved Chantry of Holy Trinity. This firmly locates it as present-day 118 High Street.
1697 (NH) See will of Joseph Pocock re his messuage and wife Rebecca of Eddington.
1698 (NH) Edith Sare died. When Edith died in 1698, her will left it to her son Joseph Sare.
1714 (NH) In turn, Joseph bequeathed it in his will (1714) to his wife Mary Sare for her life and then to his brother Richard Sare. The property was then described as a leasehold messuage with outhouses, garden etc.
1737 (NH)In the will of brother Richard (dated 1734, probate 1737) the leasehold messuage is said to have a granary, malthouse, outhouses, backside, garden and orchard. It was occupied by Mary Sare, widow of Joseph Sare, but passed on Richard Sare's death to his own widow Elinor Sare.
The property was said to be held by and lease granted by James Simpkins deceased; no doubt following on from a similar lease in 1696 to Edith Sare by Jeffery Simpkins. Again, I assume Simpkins to have been the superior landlord of chantry property, taking the place of Richard Hawkins who was in this position in 1676.
1702/03 (NH) Mar 1702/03: George White of Hungerford married another Sarah Kimber, also of Hungerford, in Mar 1702/3. This family interconnection by marriage helps to explain the bequests in Thomas Harris will first to Elizabeth Pocock, w/o John Pocock of Hungerford, joiner, "who is also daughter of George White of Hungerford, joiner; and secondly to Anne Stephens, w/o Jehosophat Stevens, another daughter of George White. Jehosophat Stephens, it will be recalled, was one of the lessees of the premises on a 99 year lease given Edith Sare in 1696.
1731 (NH) That the property remained in the Sare family is evidenced also by the Fire Insurance policy taken out by Richard Sare in 1731 on "a house in the tenure of John Pocock" and including a malthouse adjoining tenanted by John Biggs. This was renewed in 1734 when the house is described as "tiled" and the malthouse adjoining as "thatched".
1717 (NH) John Pocock married Elizabeth Hanson (died 17.. aged 28yrs), both of Hungerford.
1733/4 (NH) George White baptised, son of John Pocock.
1742 (NH) DCW will probate 1742 of George White, joiner of Hungerford (buried Aug 1741): Sarah, widow of George White (buried Aug 1739), leaves residue of his estate to John Pocock, his son-in-law (who was also appointed executor). The marriage Pocock-White is not contained in the Hungerford parish register up to 1732. It is confirmed, however, by the DCW will of Thomas Horn dated 1739, buried Sep 1740, probate 1741.
1753/4 (NH) DCW Will of Thomas White of Shalbourne, bequeathes to his grandson Thomas Hanson, and to grand-daughter Mary Hanson, also to grand-daughters Mary White, Hannah White and Elizabeth White, and to son John White...
1753-61 (QR) John Pocock for his house late White's, q.r.8d
1771 (NH) DCW bond: Elizabeth Pocock, widow of John Pocock, and John Pocock junior...
John Pocock died in 1771 (buried 12 Sep). Elizabeth Pocock widow in 1782., and a "widow Pocock", possibly Ann in 1795 Mar 20. An Ann Pocock "widow of John Pocock, however, was buried 6 Nov 1796
It is not at present clear whether this John Pocock was the man who was buried in Hungerford in 1771, though the latter was undoubtedly the lessee of the house, and payer of the quit rent at that date, for his name is deleted from the quit rent roll after his death and that of Ann Pocock substituted.
The John Pocock who died in 1771 left a widow Elizabeth and a son John Pocock junior (DCW Admons bond 1771). Elizabeth Pocock widow was buried 1782.
However, there is room for confusion in addition to there being a John and Elizabeth Pocock in Hungerford (having children baptised 1742, 1744, Ann 1747/8, 1751 and 1753) there was also a couple John and Ann who had children baptised 1743 and 1745. There were also children baptised to John Pocock (wife's name not given) in 1733/4 (George White), 1735 (Elizabeth), 1736 (John) and in 1736/7 (Mar 1) John Pocock was baptised "supposed to be 40 yrs old".
Edward Pocock had a daughter Ann baptised 1737. "Epitaphs in Hungerford Church" (page 27) states that in 1766 a memorial stone in the south aisle was engraved "Here resteth Elizabeth, wife of John Pocock, daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Hanson, late of Standen, who departed this life May 25 a.d. 17.., aged 28 yrs".
1774-90 (QR) John Pocock [amended to] Ann Pocock, for house late White's, q.r. 8d.
1781 (CL) John Pocock.
1792 (UD) 3 Pococks – Anne, broker, John and Edward, carpenters & joiners.
1795-1804 (QR) Ann Pocock for house late White's, q.r. 8d.
1805-17 (QR) Ann Pocock for house late White's, q.r. 8d.
1818 (QR) Ann Pocock for house late White's, q.r. 8d.
1819 (EA) Un-named
1832 (QR) Rev Thomas Townsend for a house late Ann Pocock, q.r. 8d.
1836 (QR) Rev John Charles Townsend for house late Ann Pocock's, q.r. 8d.
1843 (CL) W.B. Gray
1844 (PD) William Gray - draper
1847 (CL) Rev J.C. Townsend (owner); W.B. Gray (occ)
1851 (CS) William Gray (49), draper.
1861 (CS) Charlotte Gray (58) - linen draper.
1861 (CL) Rev J.C. Townsend (own); Mrs. Gray (occ)
1871 (CS) Charles Robinson (35) - draper.
Capital & Counties Bank, c1882-1918:
1882 (Lloyds) Capital & Counties Bank started. Lloyds Bank think the building dates from before 1825, although Michael Blakeway considers it could be as late as 1850. But surely it was a purpose-built bank building, which must date it to c.1882 - HLP
1891 (KD) Capital & Counties Banking Co., Ernest Frederick Grantham.
1896 (CL) Capital & Counties Banking Co. (owners); Edward B. Myddleton (occ).
1902 (T&M Register) Capital & Counties Banking Co Ltd (owners)
1903 (T&M Register) Edward Brackenbury Myddleton (occupier until ?1904)
1905 (T&M Register) William Jacob (occupier until ?1921)
1914 (CL) Capital & Counties Banking Co. (own); William Jacob (occ).
Lloyds Bank, 1918-2008:
1922 (T&M Rgister) Roland Stanley Woodcliffe (occupier)
1923 (T&M Register) James Stanley Topham (occupier until ?1927)
1928 (T&M Register) Charles Evan Morgan (occupier until ?1941)
c.1932 (QR #19) Lloyds Bank, for "Bank house and premises formerly Pocock's late Revd J.C. Townsend", q.r. 8d.
1939 (Blacket's) Lloyds Bank (C.E. Morgan, manager)
1939 (KD) Lloyds Bank - Manager: Charles Evan Morgan.
1942 (T&M Register) R J Cameron (occupier until ?1945)
1946 (T&M Register) A E Berry (occupier)
1947-56 (CL) Lloyds Bank - Manager: Albert Edward Berry.
1963-68 (CL) Lloyds Bank - Manager: Edward George Banham.
1968 (T&M Register) Edward George Banham (occupier)
1970 (CL) Void
1971 (T&M Register) Robert Frederick Scott (occupier)
1976- (CL) Lloyds Bank - Manager: Robert Frederick Scott.
1976 (CL) Robert Frederick Scott – Lloyds Bank
Undated (T&M Register) Andrew Thorp, Manager (occupier)
1983 (CL) Void – Lloyds Bank
1984 (CL) Trevor Hutchinson King
1985 (CL) Trevor Hutchinson King
2000 (CL) Void due to non-residential status
2005 (CL) Void due to non-residential status
Lloyds TSB Bank, 2008-c2014:
2008 Lloyds TSB
2011 (CL) Elizabeth Horne
TSB Bank, c2014-present:
2016 (CL) ...
Oct 2020 This branch is listed for closure in May 2021.