The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the east side of High Street (modern numbers 66-93) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Earliest information: c.1850
Original estate: Not developed until 19th century
Common Rights? No
Date of current building: c.1850
The Salisbury Arms, traded from c1861 until c1948-50.
Description of property:
- 66 High Street, Mar 2007
- Salisbury Arms, c1905
- The hand-drawn sketch map of Hungerford, showing "The Old and Great Market Road from Hungerfrod to Newbury", c1750. This map shows and names the Turnpike on the Bath Road east of Hungerford. It also shows the gate and rails at the southern end of Hungerford's street, adjacent to what is now 66 High Street.
- Part of the 1794 William Frances map of Hungerford, clearly showing the boundary of the medieval burgage plots, and what is now 66 High Street lying just outside this area. The "alleyway" today runs along that boundary to the "back lane", now Fairview Road.
- Eileen Clifford (later Wilcox) in the garden of the Salisbury Arms, c1948. (By kind permission of Arthur Clifford)
It has been suggested that this property may have been a toll-house on the turnpike from Hungerford south (along what is now the A338). Certainly it is clearly positioned "out of line" with the adjacent terraced buildings, and causes a significant narrowing of the street at this point - the last property on the eastern side of the main street.
The road between Oxford and Salisbury was important in the 17th century. The road was turnpiked (as the "Hungerford to Leckford Sousley Water Turnpike Trust" in 1772 and disturnpiked in 1866 (VCH Wiltshire). (It is thought that Leckford Sousley Water refers to what is now known as Southly Bridge at Collingbourne Ducis). The route went past the Nags Head near Marten, and on over Fair Mile and Collingbourne Shears. There are several milestones still visible on the verge of the A338 south of Hungerford, and one on the Fair Mile south of Marten is a Grade II listed monument.
We know that in 1733 a "gate and rails" were erected at the southern limit of the town, and this gate is shown on the c1750 map of the "Old & Great Market Road" (see above right). A turnpike gate is also shown on the Bath Road east of Hungerford - and names as such. The "gate and rails" outside 66 High Street may have been an attempt to keep stray animals from roaming the streets.
One record suggests that a tollhouse for this turnpike stood just south of Hungeford near the modern entrance to Beacon Farm, but further research through original Turnpike Trust documents is needed to be confident on this subject.
1842 Pigot Directory: No entry for Harding or Salisbury Arms
1844 Snare Directory: No entry for Harding or Salisbury Arms
1844 Pigot Directory: No entry for Harding or Salisbury Arms
1847 Kelly Directory: No entry for Harding or Salisbury Arms
1850 Berkshire Directory: No entry for Harding or Salisbury Arms
1851 Census: Uncertain
1854 Billing Directory: No entry for Harding or Salisbury Arms
1861 Kelly Directory: Alfred Harding "Salisbury Arms, High Street"
1863 Billing Directory: Alfred Harding
1869 Kelly Directory: Alfred Harding
1869 Post office Directory: Alfred Harding
1871 Census: Alfred Harding - porter and innkeeper
1877 Kelly Directory: Alfred Harding
1881 Census: "Salisbury Arms" Alfred Harding, Licensed Victualler
1882 OS Map: "Salisbury Arms PH"
1891 Kelly Directory: Alfred Harding - public house
1895 Kelly Directory: Mrs Ann Harding - public house
1900 Cosburn Directory: Mrs Ann Harding
1903 Kelly Directory: Mrs Ann Harding - public house
1911 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley - public house
1915 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley - "Salisbury Arms PH"
1920 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley - public house
1924 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley - public house
1928 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley
1931 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley
1935 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley
1936 Kelly Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley - "Salisbury Arms" PH
1939 Blacket's Directory: Mrs Jessie Huntley
1939 Kelly Directory: Arthur Clifford - public house. Mr & Mrs Arthur Clifford moved to The Salisbury Arms from Atherton Crescent. They lived there with their family (Eileen (later Wilcox), Vi (later Reeves) and Arthur Clifford junior born 1930) from ?1936 until ?1948-50, when the family moved to The Barley Mow, Bridge Street, taking it over from William Perdue. Mrs Huntley continued to live in the Salisbury Arms whilst the Cliffords were there. The pub was owned by Simmonds Brewery.
c1950 (Colin Bull) Salisbury Arms closed, since when it has been residential.
2011 Helen Armstrong and her husband bought it from the Coopers. They are actively restoring the property to reveal its historic features.