You are in [Archives] [Photographic Archives] [Aerial Photo Gallery]

This page includes a sample of the many aerial views of Hungerford. Many more appear in other relevant parts of the Virtual Museum.

Photo Gallery:

aerial-001
aerial-001 aerial-001
aerial-003
aerial-003 aerial-003
aerial-007
aerial-007 aerial-007
Aerial-002
Aerial-002 Aerial-002
Aerial-004
Aerial-004 Aerial-004
Aerial-005
Aerial-005 Aerial-005
Aerial-006
Aerial-006 Aerial-006
Aerial-008
Aerial-008 Aerial-008
Aerial-009 1948
Aerial-009 1948 Aerial-009 1948
Aerial-010 c198...
Aerial-010 c1980 Aerial-010 c1980
Aerial-011 9 Au...
Aerial-011 9 Aug 2007 Aerial-011 9 Aug 2007

The aerial photograph looking north-east over the town (Aerial-002) is thought to have been taken in 1938. Peter Wyatt added some comments in the NWN 20 Oct 1994: "

The new entrance to priory Road was being constructed, and Sarum Way developed on land previously known as "Fruen's Meadow". Mr Fruen lived in the "Little House" opposite. This field was let out for circuses and fairs in pre-war days.

The construction of this development was recalled by 'Wally' Dennis, who was a member of the road construction gang.

The whole of the roadway was dug out by hand, using only picks and shovels, by 24 men in several gangs, the soil being removed by three lorries, two of which were provided by Ted Geary of Shefford, and one by Harry Giles of Hungerford.

The concrete was laid by Jack Scarlett's gang, and the whole job was supervised by Harry Sharp, the council surveyor.

After the tarmac was laid and rolled in by a five ton diesel roller, the road was completed and opened in the space of only five weeks.

Sarum Way was developed by JT Gibbs & Co, for use by GWR employess. Mr Gibbs himself had the large bungalow on the end of the cul-de-sac, and the next, smaller one, was occupied by Mr Charles Redman, the stationmaster.

I think the photo was taken on a Monday morning, judging by the amount of washing hanging out in the gardens of many houses.

The shadows from the trees suggests an early morning, and the milk train can be seen leaving the station.

The south side of Tarrant's Hill, and the site of the Roman Catholic Church, were all allotments, only one building being seen on Tarrant's Hill.

The fiels next to, and opposite the schoolm were owned by Fred Barnard and let out for circuses and fairs during the 1940s and 1950s.

Most of the ground between The Breach and Bulpit Lane was occupied by Dods Nurseries, and the Priory House and estate were occupied by Mr Palethorpe (who may have been connected with the sausage firm?).

No more development took place until after the war, when Honeyfields was the first estate to be developed.