You are in [Archives] [Maps and Charts]
This section includes some of the many maps, plans and charts of Hungerford and the surrounding area. They are shown in roughly chronological order. We are working to increase the number available on-line.
- 1086 - Domesday Manors: The map shows the local manors of Lewartone (Leverton), Eddevatone (Eddington), Daneford (Denford), Avintone (Avington), Ingleflot (Hungerford Engleford), Standene (Standen), Standone (North Standen) and Cerletone (Hopgrass and Charlton). See also: Domesday Manors around Hungerford
- c1200 - Savernake Forest at its Maximum (From "Savernake Forest", P C Walwin, 1976): Regular "perambulations of the forest" were carried out to check the boundaries. This map shows Savernake Forest at its most extensive, c1200, stretching well to the east of Hungerford. The "King's Way" is clearly shown between Hungerford and Marlborough. See also: Coaching
- Hungerford - Medieval Features (From "Historic Towns in Berkshire: an archaeological appraisal". Grenville G. Astill, 1978): This plan shows the planned medieval town along High Street and Bridge Street, with the back lanes (now Prospect Road and Fairview Road). The site of the earlier village clustered around the church is shown stippled. See also: Manorial History; Simon de Montfort; John of Gaunt.
- 1610 John Speed; John Speed (1552-1629) published his atlas "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine" in 1610/11. It contained the first ever set of individual county maps of England and Wales. His Berkshire map is shown here. See also: Zoomable digital reproduction of a 1611/12 proof of Speed's atlas held at Cambridge University Library.
- 1636 "Saxton": In 1570 Christopher Saxton (c1543-c1612) began a survey of the whole of England and Wales on the commission of Lord Burghley. This was a significant undertaking at the time, and yet by 1574 the first plates had been engraved and in 1578 the survey was complete. The maps produced set the standard for cartographers to follow, and base their own maps on, for hundreds of years to follow. In the early 1600s Campden's 'Brittania' was published with individual county maps. William Hole and William Kip re-engraved Saxton's maps at a reduced size for this edition and on most of these maps Saxton is given credit in the title. The map shown here is dated 1636, about 25 years after Saxton's death.
1670 Ogilby - London-Bath Road (showing Thatcham to Marlborough section)
1716 Ogilby - Oxford-Salisbury Road
1722 - Robert Morden (Berkshire): Robert Morden (c1650-1703) was among the first successful commercial map makers. Between about 1675 and his death in 1703, he was based under the sign of the Atlas at premises in Cornhill and New Cheapside, London. His cartographical output was large and varied. His best known maps are those of South Wales, North Wales and the English Counties first published in a new edition of Camden's "Britannia" in 1695, and subsequently reissued in 1722, 1753 and 1772. These maps were based on new information from gentlemen of each county, and were newly engraved. Each had a decorated cartouche, and showed numerous place names. Morden also produced in 1701 a series of smaller county maps often known as Miniature Mordens.
- c1750 - The Old & Great Market Road from Hungerford to Newbury (Western part): This simple hand-drawn sketch shows a schematic depiction of Hungerford (with buildings along High Street, Charnham Street and Church Street), Denford, Avington and Kintbury. Most importantly it shows "The old & Great Market Road from Hungerford to Newbury". It is thought to date from c1750. Only the western half is shown here.
- 1750 - Charnham Street
- 1756 Emanuel Bowen: Emanuel Bowen (1714-1767) had the high distinction to be named Royal Mapmaker to both to King George II of England and Louis XV of France. Based in London from 1714 onwards, Bowen was highly regarded for producing some of the largest, most detailed, most accurate and most attractive maps of his era. Shown here is his Berkshire map, dated 1756.
- 1761 - John Rocque: John Rocque (c1709-1762) is now mainly remembered for his map of London. He began work on this in 1737 and it was published in 24 printed sheets in 1747. It was by far the most detailed map of London published up to that time, and remains an important historical resource. The map of London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. A fire in 1750 destroyed his premises and stock, but by 1753 he was employing ten draughtsmen, and The Small British Atlas: Being a New set of Maps of all the Counties of England and Wales appeared. There was a second edition in 1762. Shown here is part of his edition of Berkshire dated 1761.
- 1768 - John Willis
- 1792 Robertson Road from London to Bath - Plate 7
- 1794 - William Francis: The map of Hungerford by William Francis, 1794, is one of the great treasures of the town. In the mid 20th century it was in the hands of Harry Giles, local carrier, who passed it to Dr & Mrs Kennedy. In the 1970s they passed it to the Town and Manor. It shows great detail about the town at the time. Part only is currently shown here. A hi-res file (35Mbytes) is available here.
- c1810 - Charnham Street and Eddington
- 21 Apr 1814 - Inclosure Award maps.
- 1819 - Enclosure Award Map
- 1882 OS
- 2016 Map of Town and Manor Property, May 2016. Follow this for a high definition pdf.
Other Miscellaneous maps and plans:
- Hopgrass Marsh and Honey Furlong, c1822
- Properties attracting Commoners' Rights in Town & Manor of Hungerford
- 1961 OS Hungerford area
The HHA Archive also holds the following maps and charts:
Hungerford Civil Parish
Hungerford, 129 High St (by John Brook, 1985)
Hungerford Town Map (O.S. 1984)
Hungerford from the air - 1985
Hungerford Enclosure Award 1819 (part & whole)
Berkshire (Saxton) 1636
Berkshire (Speed) Gloucestershire - 1610 (Speed)
Hampshire (Speed) Middlesex (Speed)
Isle of Wight (Speed)
Monmouth County - 1610 (Speed)
Bath Road - Ogilby - 1670
Hamstead Park Berkshire divided in Hundreds - 1756
Hampshire divided into Hundreds - 1753
Britain & Ireland (Blaeu) – 1635
Road from London to Bath (Sheet 7 – Hungerford to Newbury), Archibald Robertson, 1792.
Church and Town Land - W. Francis, 1794
Chilton Lodge Estate – Dymour 1814
Wilts & Berks – John Rocque 1761
Kennet & Avon Canal, Newbury to Hungerford
Kennet & Avon Canal, Kintbury to Froxfield 1984
Newbury from the Air, 1985
The Road, London to Bristol
Large Maps and Charts (in Map Chest):
1761 - West Berkshire by John Rocque
1794 - Hungerford by William Francis
1805 - Berkshire by John Carey
1814 - Chilton Lodge Estate
1821 - Hungerford Town Hall & High Street - from painting by G. Shepherd
1822 - Kintbury Parish by Abraham Dymock of Aldbourne
1879 - Kintbury and Avington
1879 - Plans of church and proposed alterations by Morris Stallwood, Architects, Reading
<1970 - St. Lawrence Churchyard Plan (Sections A & B)
1980 - OS 1:50,000 - Newbury and Wantage Sheet 174
1980 - OS 1:2500 - Hopgrass & Standen, Highclose & Freeman's Marsh, Hungerford (2 copies), Inglewood and Denford
1981 - St. Lawrence Churchyard drawn by A.D. Field
1984 - OS 1:2500 - Hungerford Town
1984 - 1:10,000 - Kintbury and Kintbury Aerial
1985 - Painting - Front Elevations of High Street East, by John "Tom" Simson
Frontages of some Hungerford High Street Properties (April 1986) - [102-88, 107-101, 113-108, 120-114, 126-120, 130-126, 87-77]
1899 - OS 1" - Ramsbury, Hungerford, Avington, north to Lambourn
1911 - OS 1:2,500 - Hopgrass Brick Works, Charnham Street
1911 - OS 1:2,500 - SMall area showing Waterworks and St John Mission Room
In File S100: Several local maps, including:
- Official Street Map of Hungerford c1974
- OS 1:25,000 map Hungerford 1961