You are in [Places] [High Street Properties] [85 High Street]
[-->84 High Street] [-->86 High Street]


The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the east side of High Street (modern numbers 66-93) is very speculative. Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.


Earliest information: <1500
Original estate: ?Chantry of Blessed Virgin Mary (??Chantry of Holy Trinity)
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 31ft with 86 High Street; 1 horse or 2 cows)
Date of current building: 1449
Listed? Yes - Grade II

Thumbnail History

These two semi-detached properties are amongst the oldest in the street – being a two-bay cruck frame dating from 1449.


Despite the appearance of the High Street frontage, 85 & 86 High Street comprise a two-bay cruck house, which had a single bay open hall at its north end (86 High Street). The roof of the north bay is heavily smoke blackened. Smooth single curved cruck blades are held by a saddle which carries square set ridge-pieces.

It is the only property in Hungerford known to have a cruck frame construction, and it is very possible that 85 & 86 High Street are the oldest surviving properties in the town.

In October 2009 the timbers of 86 High Street were assessed for dendrochronological study. The project was a joint initiative between the owners (Clive and Dianne Wynell-Sutherland), the Hungerford Historical Association (under Chairman Lois Pihlens), and Andy Moir of Tree-Ring Services.

The result of the survey was of great interest, and two of the samples could be precisely dated to a felling date during the winter of 1448/49. It is likely that the two-bay house was erected in 1449. This is only 50 years after John of Gaunt died.

If you would be interested in having your timber-framed property assessed for tree-ring dating, please contact Andy Moir via the the Tree-Ring Services website.

Photo Gallery:


85 High Street (white), Mar 2007


Conjectural reconstruction of timber construction by John Brooks, c1985

- 85 High Street (white), March 2007.

- Conjectural reconstruction of timber construction by John Brooks, c.1985


1449 Date of original cruck-frame building.

For the early history of 85 High Street see 86 High Street.

1841 (CS) George ?Butcher (or ?Belcher) Hostler

1847 (CL) William Robert Hall (own); George Belcher (occ)

1851, 27 Jan (DD) Conveyance from Assignees of William Barnes (builder) and others to George White (bricklayer) for £80.
1851, 28 Jan (DD) Mortgage of £110 paid by Stephen Snook (baker of Froxfield) to George White.

1851 (CS) George Belcher (59) Postillion

1857, 24 Feb (DD) Reconveyance Stephen Snook to George White (ie Mortgage of £110 repaid)

1858, 24 Jan (DD) George White died.

1858, 27 Jul (DD) Probabte of the Will of George White, passing estate to his wife Mary Ann White. A detailed Codicil set up trustees John Perry, Whitesmith of Hungerford and Joseph Rosier, Pork Bucher of Hungerford.

1861 (CS) Elizabeth Belcher (53) laundress

1861 (CL) Mrs White (own) - Mrs Belcher (occ)

1862, 10 Sep (DD) Transfer of Mortgage for £100 on cottages (Mary Ann White, H E Astley).

1871 (CS) Mary White - staymaker + Daniel Batt - lodger

1877, 10 Mar (DD) Mary Ann White died.

1881 (CS) Lydia White - Staymaker

1888, 13 Nov (DD) Probate of the Will of Mr Mary Ann White. Estate (inc 85-86 High Street) passed to her daughter Lydia White.

1896 (CL) Lydia White - (own & occ)

1902, 7 Jul (DD) Transfer of Mortgage Miss Lydia White to H D'O W Astley (£100 paid)

1902 (T&M Register) Heir of George White (owner)
1903 (T&M Register) Lydia White (occupier until 1911)

1911, 17 Nov (DD) Conveyance for £500 of two cottages from H D'O W Astley and George Challis (retired postman of Hungerford, nephew of Lydia White) to Walter Barnard. The plan shows Walter Cox in property to south, and Elizabeth Hoare in property to north.

1912 (T&M Register) William Henry Belcher (occupier 1912 until 1914)

1914, 14 Sep (DD) Conveyance (for £350) of two cottages by Walter Templar Barnard (butcher of 8 High Street Hungerford) to Frederick Barnard (fishmonger of 19 Market Place, Hungerford)

1914 (CL) ??Dev of William Hoare

1916 (TM Register) C A Stallibrass (occupier until ?1938)

c1918 (Mrs Edmonds, Priory Ave) Mr Stallibrass moved into 85 HS.

Undated (T&M Register) Frederick Barnard (owner)
1932 (QR) Mr F. Barnard (Stallibrass) "House late W.R. Hall", q.r. 4d.

1939 (T&M Register) Thomas Edward Savoury (occupier until ?1967)
1939 (Blacket's) T.E. Savory
1947-1956 (CL) Thomas Edward Savory

1963-1970 (CL) Joan Florence Norman

1968 (T&M Register) Clive Theodor Norman (owner until 1971); Joan Florence Norman (occupier until 1975)
1972 (T&M Register) Joan Florence Norman (owner until 1976)

1976-2000 (CL) Derek Neville Weeks
1977 (T&M Register) Derek Neville Weeks (owner & occupier)

c2000 Bought by Janet and John Willis.

2005 (CL) Derek Neville Weeks (occupier)

2011 (CL) Karen Neate (occ)

2016 (CL) Void

2016 Mrs Rita Phillips (occ).

2021 Bought by Rob Davies & Hayley-Anne Reed.


BL = Blackett's Directory
CL = Commoners' List
CS = Census
DD = Deeds and documents for 85-86 High Street, kindly loaned by Rita Phillips, July 2019.
EA = Enclosure Award
KD = Kelly's Directory
NH = Norman Hidden
QR = Quit Rent Roll
UD = Universal British Directory