Earliest information: 1671
Original Manor: Hungerford Engleford
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 66ft + 58ft = 124ft; 6 horses or 12 cows)
Date of current building:
Oram -> Clark -> Fullbrook -> Earle (ironmongers) -> Hawkes -> Clifford -> Dopson (drapers) -> Various
Description of property:
- 127 High Street, Mar 2007
- Earle's, 127 High Street, c1902
- Advert for G J Hawkes, c1910 [from Berkshire by Pen and Camera]
- Dopson's (closed), 127 High Street, c1934
- Liptons & Southern Electricity, 127 High Street, c1970
- Carpenters, 127 High Street, c1982
- Advert for Carpenter's, c1985
- The Natural Fabric Co, 1992
- Press report on opening of The Clockmaker, 2003
- Newbury Building Society celebrates 20 years in Hungerford, Feb 2006
- The Clockmaker on the cover of The Adviser, 7th Dec 2007
- Advert for The Clockmaker in The Adviser, 7th Dec 2007
- Newbury Building Society refurbished, NWN 28th May 2008
- Mac Hair Salon, Apr 2012
- Megabet, 25 Sep 2017
1671-5 (NH) This property was copyhold to Elizabeth Oram, widow of Thomas Oram (d. 1670 – D.S. admin, no will) 1671-5. In 1682 widow Oram died.
1680 (NH) In the 1680 H.C.B. William Oram appears in the Commoners' List (by position). Grace, wife of William Oram, died 1682, and in 1690 William Oram died.
1770 (NH) D.C.W. will dated July 1770 (probate Nov 1771) Henry Clark ironmonger leaves to his son Harry Clark "all that messuage situate in Hungerford Berks, with ½ acre of meadow in Woodmarsh, being copyhold, held under James Smith esq. Lord of the Manor, and my son Harry being next names in the copy.".
The reference to James Smith esq as Lord of the Manor is not quite clear at present, as the V.C.H. states that the manor was bought by Matthew Loder. In his PCC will dated May 1672 (probate November 1763), Matthew Loder leaves all his manors etc. in Hungerford to Mr Samuel Smith (husband of Loder's daughter Frances) for life, and after his death the manor was given to Samuel's son and Loder's grandson, Loder Smith, for ever.
The reference to James Smith may be an inaccurate transcription of the name Samuel Smith?
According to the V.C.H. Matthew Loder renounced his right in this estate in 1771 in favour of his son Matthew Loder Smith.
Harry Clarke was born 1741, son of Henry and Ann Clark.
1777 (NH CL) John Fullbrook
1781 (NH CL) Mrs ? Fullbrook.
1811 (NH) Enclosure Act claims M.L. Smith esq. as Lord of the manor. It includes:
- (?25HS) Copyhold – reversionary interest in messuage in which the Misses Robinson live, being copyhold for the life of Thos. Robinson.
- (?) Copyhold tenement now occupied as 2 tens. Held by life of J. Bear
- (?121HS) Tenement in own occupation
- (?) Tenement in occupation of ..Shepherd, widow.
- (?119HS) Tenement in occupation John Bance
- (?) Tenement in occupation Henry Clements
1819 (EA) Un-named
1841 (CS) George Earle (35) - ironmonger.
1843 (CL) George Earle
1844 (PD) George Earle - ironmonger, brazier, tinplate worker, locksmith, bellhanger, oil and colourman.
1847 (CL) George Earle (owner & occ).
1847 (NH) Mentioned in deeds of 128HS (D/Elm T7) as on south side of present day 128. It is described as a messuage / dwelling house and garden belonging to Mrs Elizabeth Hilary, widow, now in occupation of G. Earle ironmonger. This property was originally part of the Hungerford Englefield manor, one of a block of three or four houses at this part of High Street (sites no 127, 126, 125, 124).
1851 (CS) George Earle (47), ironmonger.
1861 (CL) George Earle
1869 (PO) George Earle - ironmonger. Also Misses Sarah & Emma Jane Earle, Day & Boarding School, HS (? number).
1871 (CS) George Earle.
1881 (CS) Reynolds Richard Earle (46) - ironmonger.
1891 (KD) Reynolds Richard Earle
1896 (CL) Reynolds Richard Earle
1902 (T&M Register) Reynolds Richard Earle (owner)
1903 (KD) George Hawkes - ironmonger.
1903 (T&M Register) Reynolds Richard Earle (occupier until 1913)
1914 (CL) Trustees of Reynolds Richard Earle (owner) - John Joseph Hawkes (occupant). [See record of 126HS also]
1914 (T&M Register) George Joseph Hawkes (occupier until 1927; void 1928)
1920 (KD) Louis Clifford ironmonger
1928 (DD 127 HS, HHA archives): Hawkes & Hall sold 127 HS to WR Squire, WL Squire and P Squire for £950
1929 T&M Register) Arthur Willie Glover (occupier until 1935; void 1936-37)
1936 (*3) Ernest W. Dopson - drapers (127 & 5 HS). Geoffrey Raymond Dopson lived above shop on north side,
Dopson owner, Wessex Electricity Company:
1937 (DD 127 HS, HHA archives): WR Squire, WL Squire and P Squire sold to Ernest William Dopson (of 5 High Street) for £1,000.
1937 (DD 127 HS, HHA archives): Ernest William Dopson leased 127 High Street (shop and room over the passage) to the Wessex Electricity Company for 21 years.
1938 (T&M Register) William John Bambridge (occupier)
1939 (Blacket's) Wessex Electricity Company
- E.W. Dopson, fancy goods and babies' outfitters
- F. Kerley, dentist
- W.J. Bambridge, MRCVS, veterinary surgeon (flat above)
1939 (T&M Register) H J Hulke)
1940 (T&M Register) Mrs Marjorie Hulke (occupier until ?1941)
1942 T&M Register) A E Baldock (occupier)
1947 (CL) Alfred Edwin Baldock.
4 Jan 1950 (DD 127a HS, HHA archives): Ernest Dopson died.
1952 (CL) Void.
7 Jul 1953 (DD 127a HS, HHA archives): 127a sold by executors of Ernest Dopson (Phyllis Eileen Prideaux of Warminster and Vere Marguerite Andrews of 44 High Street Hungerford) to Southern Electricity Board for £4,000.
Undated (T&M Register) Ernest William Dopson (owner)
1956 (CL) Geoffrey Raymond Dopson.
1963 (CL) Geoffrey Raymond Dopson.
<1968 (T&M Register) Geoffrey Raymond Dopson & occupier)
1968 (CL) Geoffrey Raymond Dopson
1968 Dopson moved to 5 High Street
1969 ((T&M Register) Allied Suppliers Ltd (owners)
19?? (Mrs May Marks) Mr. Greenstreet - manager/owner ? ironmonger
1970 (CL) No entry!
- Frank Kerley - dentist (on north side, 127)
- Wessex Electricity Co Ltd (on south side, 127a)
? (Geoffrey Dopson) Library here, at north end and at rear, prior to Church Street (1967).
1976 (CL) Void.
1968-77 Liptons Supermarket + Southern Electricity Board.
1976 (CL) Void
1977 Help the Aged.
1978 Newbury District Council
- Help the Aged Gift Shop
1982? Carpenters (Shergolds) - Hardware/DIY, occupiers of north end, 127a. Closed 1993.
1983 (CL) Void – Wessex Place
1983 Newbury District Council office, middle.
- Wessex Gifts (John & Brenda Newton). Closed 1985, became Newbury Building Society.
1984 (CL) Void
1985 (CL) Void
1986 Newbury Building Society
1993 Carpenters - Hardware/DIY closed. Remained empty until Dec 1994.
- Newbury District Council office.
Dec 1994 Sold by ?..? to Omall & Lyons, antique dealers called "Fanny's" – several dealers selling within open shop floor. Name changed to "Labyrinth Antiques" c.1998.
<1995 Fanny's Antiques
1998 Labyrinth Antiques
1999 Victoria's Bedroom (Angela Wallbank and husband – moved from 4 BS). Closed ?2005, and stood empty for some months.
2000 (CL) Christine Fielding (member of Newbury BS staff)
2005 (CL) Valerie Troke
2006 Conversion to two shop premises:
- South: "Deep" Clothes and fashion shop
- North: Stan James bookmakers, moved from 18 HS in Feb 2006.
?2008 Conversion the three shop premises:
2008 (a) Newbury Building Society
- (South) West Berkshire Council. Moved to new library in Church Street Jan 2008.
- (Central) Deep
- Upstairs – "Freeman's House" Greatworth Properties (Charlie Woodhead)
- (North) Stan James
2011 (CL) Void
2011 (Aug) Deep closed.
Mar 2012 Mac Hair salon opened in (c) middle unit on 22 Mar 2012. Owner Emma McElhone. See "New salon opens in Hungerford", NWN 29.3.2012.
2016 (CL) Void
2017 ?Aug. (North) Stan James changed to Megabet.
Notes from Norman Hidden's papers:
1781 CL: Matthew Bance 52 =?119HS
Jn. Pocock 53 =?118HS
Edward Bear 54 =?117HS
*NB: Hy Clark's will (177) was witnessed by Jn. Pocock and Ed. Bear.
1781 Royal Exchange Assurance 80880 M.L. Smith tenant Thos Francis?
It is not clear whether the following entries refer to this site:
1780 (Benyon papers Berks RO) Sir Walter James James' property includes a messuage in Hungerford in the occupation of Henry Clark
In 1782-3 (Benyon papers BRO) James' property includes a house let to Wm. Dismore, with garden and orchard on east side of High Street. Rent £8 p.a. Had 4 commons on Hungerford Downs (??to commence Nov 1783).