You are in [Places] [The Priory]
The area of Hungerford lying to the south-east of the town, near the John o'Gaunt School, is littered with references to "The Priory". There is Priory Road, Priory Avenue, and the "Priory" estate. Why is this?
Lying in its own much reduced grounds opposite the school is a large Victorian house which is called "The Priory". But is this why the street names are associated?
A look at the 1819 Enclosure Award Map shows no sign of the large house - which was indeed built at a later date. However, it does mark "Priory Lane" leading to Sanham Green, and the land either side of this road is labelled "St. John's Priory". This land relates back to land associated with the Priory of St. John the Baptist (in modern-day Bridge Street).
On the same 1819 map, it is clear that the land where the Victorian "Priory" was built belonged to Charles Child.
The Priory does not appear on the 1819 map, and the style of the building is heavy mid Victorian, perhaps 1850-1880. The 1882 Ordnance Survey Map does mark The Priory.
The Priory was built by the wealthy brewer John Platt. He ran the brewery in the High Street (later the Laundry, demolished 1999 when Somerfield supermarket was built).
The Platt family was a large one. In the 1841 census John Platt junior (40 years) was recorded as "Brewer, employing 20 men" living in Willow Lodge [in Bridge Street, with an adjacent malthouse].
His son, George Platt lived at The Priory for some years after the business closed - he is in the 1920 Kelly Directory, but by 1939 Blacket it was in the ownership of J. Arthur Palethorpe,
In 1952 the NWN reported "Hungerford District Council is proposing to buy The Priory. The council intends using the land for housing and the house for council offices."
In the 1970s the building was converted into residential flats.
The Priory building was demolished in 2011, and the site of The Priory is being redevelopment by Sovereign Housing in 2012-2013.
2013 Aug: Two new apartment blocks providing 74 affordable homes, named as Redwood House and Lindley Lodge. See "Revealed - new names for 74 homes for the elderly", NWN 22 Aug 2013.
- The Priory, Feb 2011
- Platt's Brewery Building post 1908 as The Hungerford Laundry
- The Priory, 2007
- The gatepost at The Priory, Feb 2011
- The Priory, Feb 2011
- The Priory (south-east front), Feb 2011
- The Priory (entrance and south-west front), Feb 2011
- Detail of staircase, The Priory Feb 2011