You are in [Places] [Isolation Hospital]

The need to isolate patients with infectious diseases was recognised from early times.

See more about the Leper House and the Pest House in Hungerford.

Isolation hospitals for infectious diseases other than smallpox were built at Newbury (Wash Common), Hungerford, Maidenhead, Wallingford, Henley, Cippenham and Reading. All were built by local authorities and paid for out of the rates.

The Hungerford Isolation Hospital was built well away from the town, south of Sanham Green, near the junction with the Salisbury Road (see the map in the Photo Gallery).

The small single storey building of timber clad with corrugated iron was demolished in the 1940s.

Photo Gallery:

hungerford isol...
hungerford isolation hospital hungerford isolation hospital
isolation hospi...
isolation hospital map 1926 isolation hospital map 1926

- The ward during the First World War

- From OS map of Sanham Green; 1926 Isolation Hospital shown near bottom left.

See also:

- Care & Compassion - Old Prints and Photographs of Hospitals and Nurses in Berkshire and South Oxfordshire 1839-1930. Margaret Railton & Marshall Barr, 2000.