You are in [Places] [Cycle Shops]
- Remains of painted advertisement on the rear wall of 20 Church Street
- Mr Pratt's funeral, 9th June 1910, showing Stradling's Cycle shop on extreme right.
- Charlie May's Cycle Shop, Charnham Street, c1935
- H.W. Chivers, 4 Bridge Street, c1950
William Joyce, Church Street:
The earliest cycle shop was William Joyce of Church Street (now No. 20). In the 1877 Kelly Directory he is listed as a smith, but by 1891 he is "smith and machinist; sole agent for Rover cycles and others; to let or hire; official repairer to the CTC, Church Street".
Stradling's. Charnham Street:
James Stradling started his cycle business in Newbury in 1877. Around 1900 he opened a branch in Charnham Street, Hungerford.
The shop can be seen at the extreme right of the photograph taken on 9th June 1910 at the funeral of Mr FR Pratt, Landlord of The Bear Hotel, who was killed in a road traffic accident. Mr Pratt was a member of the fire brigade, and his colleagues pulled the funeral carriage from The Bear to St Saviour's, Eddington.
Charlie May, Charnham Street:
By the 1930s Stradling's premises had been taken over by Charlie and Eddie May, shown in the adjacent photograph outside their shop (now Sapphire Furnishings).
A. New & Co, 4 Bridge Street:
The 1903 Kelly Directory shows New's cycle makers at 4 Bridge Street.
Ernest Charles Brown:
By the 1920s the business was run by Ernest Brown.
HW Chivers was Ernest Brown's nephew, who was recorded as "cycle agent".
Arthur Chivers: Took over the business from his father, and continues to run the business until 1956.