You are in [Themes] [Medicine in Hungerford] [District Nursing]

The Parish Magazine of July 1910 reported that "steps are now being taken to provide a nurse for Hungerford, Chilton and district. The Honourable Mrs John Ward, of Chilton, is taking a leading part in the movement, and a strong team of ladies has been formed, with Mrs Willes as chairman, and Miss Wooldridge as hon sec. A successful ladies' meeting was held on June 17, and we hope before long that the nurse will have commenced her work, for which we can but feels there is much need."

The Hungerford Nursing Association was duly formed, and "Nurse Whitehead commenced her duties on November 1st. She is residing at Mrs Edward Allright's in Charnham Street. Persons desiring to obtain her services should apply to her, or to the Hon Secretary, Miss Wooldridge, Bridge House, or to any of the following members of the Committee:- Mrs Gray, Mrs Hubbard, Mrs Platt, Mrs Portal, Mrs Shepherd, Mrs Willes, for all information concerning payments, etc."

See also:

Medicine in Hungerford:

- The Early Days - from the 13th century

- The Start of Organised Medicine - from 1550 to c1830

- The 19th Century and Medical Nepotism

- The Early 1900s

- District Nursing

- The First World War

- Between the Wars

- The Second World War

- The Coming of the N.H.S.

- The 1950s

- The Healthcare Team

- Local Hospitals (including more distant ones used by Hungerford residents)

- Parish Magazines, esp Jul 1910, Dec 1910

- District Nursing in Berkshire before 1914, Pamela Horn. Berkshire Old & New, No. 12 1995.