You are in [Places] [Churches]

Churches still used today:

Parish Church of St Lawrence, The Croft

Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Priory Road

Methodist Church, Bridge Street

United Reform Church (formerly Congregational Chapel), High Street

Earlier Churches no longer in use:

Avington Norman Church

Ebenezer Chapel, Church Street, (formerly Wesleyan Methodist) (1807-1869)

Holy Trinity, Denford (1832-1956)

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Eddington (1840-?1868)

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ham (c1860-c1957)

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hungerford Newtown (1842- )

St Mary's, Newtown (1870-2005)

St John's Mission Hall (1899-1984)

St Saviour's Church, Eddington (1868-1956)

Wesleyan Chapel, Charnham Street (1868-1971)

Wesleyan Cottage, Hungerford Newtown

On 30th March 1851 the only "Census of Religious Worship" was held. Returns were sent in from almost all places of worship, including Anglican, Roman Catholic as well as Protestant dissenting congregations. It is thought that the purpose of this census was to quantify the decline in church attendance, especially the Established Church. The overall data shows that about 57% of the population attended Anglican Churches, 43.6% Methodist (including Congregational, Baptist and Quakers). This census of 1851 shows the highest Methodist (non-conformist) attendance in Berkshire. See the individual entries for each church for more details.

See also:

- Non-conformity in Hungerford