You are in [Places] [Bridge Street Properties] [Demolished for Canal (West)]
[-->13 Bridge Street] [-->Demolished for Canal (East)]

Summary:

Earliest information: 1470
Original estate: ?Chantry of Blessed Virgin Mary
Common Rights? Yes (but now void)
Date of current building: Canal Bridge: 1798
Grade II Listed (Canal Bridge)

Thumbnail History:

When the Kennet and Avon Canal was built through the centre of Hungerford, there were seven properties that had to be demolished - four properties on the west side, and three on the east side.

Description of property:

[Canal bridge: From Listed Building records: Canal Bridge. Late 18th century. Brick with stone capping to parapet. Plain single arched bridge with long wing walls abutting road.]

Photo Gallery:

pict0013
pict0013 pict0013
aerial-006
aerial-006 aerial-006

- Aerial view of wharf area, Aug 2007

- Aerial view of wharf area, c1950

Timeline:

The following entries, from Norman Hidden's papers, relate to property/properties on the site of the Kennet and Avon Canal, but it is unclear just which specific property:

c.1470 (NH) John Tuckhyll (1st Constable of Hungerford) "late Julian Verman's"

1547/8 (NH) Thomas Faller; Thomas Dalman (occ)
1552 (NH) Town Survey: Thomas Faller; John Asheton (Austin) (occ)

1560 (NH) Edward Fawleye

1573 (NH) Thomas Goddard (own); William Pittfoule (occ)
1591 (NH) Thomas Goddard (own); William Pittfoule (occ)

Kennet and Avon Canal
4 properties removed on west side

1753-61 (QR) (north to south):
- John Forty, for Stoney Hall, q.r. 6d.
- John Lewington, for his house, q.r. 4d.
- Robert Welsham, for his house, q.r. 4d

1774-80 (QR) (north to south):
- John Forty.. (amended to General Williamson) for Stoney Hall, late ..?.., q.r 6d.
- Thomas Viner (amended to William Dubbers) for house late ..?ings, q.r. 4d.
- John Lewington for his house, q.r. 4d.
- Robert Welsham, for his house, q.r. 4d

1781 (CL) (south to north):
- John Thomas Viner "for Jones home"
- ?Jane Lewington
- Thomas Gibbs
John Sherman, esq (under which is "-do- for house lately built" =13 BS)

1795-1804 (QR) Company of the Kennet and Avon Canal for land whereon late: (north to south)
- For Stoney Hall, late ..?.. (amended to General Williamson), q.r. 6d
- Mary Lewington's house late stood, q.r. 4d.
- William Dubbers house stood late, q.r. 4d.

1798 Kennet & Avon Canal opened to Hungerford. Seven houses demolished (from 1896 CL):
- G. Dubber
- Mrs Lewington
- Mrs Patty Lewington
- William Marchant
- John Shermans
- Henry Head
Rights of each tenement (2 horses, 4 cows) sold by canal company to John Willes Esq.

1805-17 (QR) The Company of the Proprietors of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company for land whereon
- Stoney Hall, late General Williamson's, q.r. 6d.
- Mary Lewington's house stood, q.r. 4d.
- The late William Dubber's house stood, q.r. 4d.

1807 (CL) The Proprietor of the Kennet and Avon Canal for:
- Dubbers
- ?Farrier
- ?James Woodham

1818-36 (QR) The Company of the Proprietors of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company for land whereon
- Stoney Hall, late General Williamson's, q.r. 6d.
- Mary Lewington's house stood, q.r. 4d.
- The late William Dubber's house stood, q.r. 4d.

1847 (CL) ) The Company of the Proprietors of the Kennet and Avon Canal (amended to Geo Willes, Esq.) (Recorded in the position of the East Side, but no entry on West side, so includes both): "In respect of ancient Tenements now removed, formerly:
- G. Dubber
- Mrs Lewington
- Mrs Patty Lewington
- William Marchant
- ..?.. Shearman's, and
- Henry Head
..each 2 Horses or 4 cows, and now lost."

1861 & 1896 (CL) Proprietors of the Kennet and Avon Canal, (Recorded in the position of the East Side, but no entry on West side, so includes both): These Commons belonged to Tenements formerly:
- G. Dubber's
- Mrs Lewington's
- Mrs Patty Lewington's
- William Marchant's
- .?.. Spearman's, and
- H. Head's
..which were removed to make the Canal and Wharf. There were 2 Horse or 4 cow Commons to each tenement. The Common Rights were purchased by the late Mr. Willes, and are still claimed by George Willes, Esq.

1914 (CL) K&A Canal Co., (Recorded in the position of the East Side, but no entry on West side, so includes both): These Commons belonged to Tenements formerly:
G. Dubber
Mrs Lewington's
Mrs Patty Lewington's
William Marchant's
..?.. Spearman's, and
H. Head's
..which were removed to make the Canal and Wharf. There were 2 Horse or 4 cow Commons to each tenement, and such Rights were sold by the Canal Company to John Willes, Esq.

1932 (QR) G.W.R. for Kennet & Avon Canal land formerly site of
Stoney Hall afterwards General Williamson", q.r.6d.
Mary Lewington's house", q.r 4d.
Wm Dubber's house", q.r 4d.

1973 Canal Walk developed (Developer: Lancaster Meadon bought the wharf. Built 3 detached houses, and four terraces of four houses. Old wharf stone house converted into two semi-detached dwellings).

20.7.1974 Kennet & Avon Canal re-opened to Hungerford (and Hungerford Lock)

See also:

- Kennet & Avon Canal