This section of the Virtual Museum needs further development. If you can help, please email the Administrator.
Hungerford Rugby Football Club was first started in 1929, when a meeting of interested parties met at The Plume of Feathers Inn. A Newbury Weekly News report of the meeting hangs in the present Rugby Clubhouse.
The club operated from 1929-1939, but was closed at the start of the Second World War.
- Hungerford Rugby Club, c1935
The reformed Rugby Club:
The Rugby Club was reformed in 1984 (at a meeting this time in the John o' Gaunt Inn). The pitch was on the Common until 1996 when it moved to the new ground at the Triangle Field. See "Play begins on Triangle Field", NWN 19 Sep 1996.
A new clubhouse was built by club members at the Triangle Field. See "Work begins on new rugby facilities", NWN 9 Aug 2007.
The club runs Seniors, Juniors (currently 5-12 year-olds) and Veteran teams, but has plans to expand the juniors to include 5/6 to 18 year olds.