You are in [Places] [High Street Properties] [97-98 High Street]
[-->96 High Street] [-->99-102 High Street]

Summary:

Earliest information: 1753 ?1609
Original estate: Chantry
Common Rights? Yes (97 & 98 HS; frontage 31ft total; each 1 horse or 2 cows)
Date of current building:
Listed? No

Thumbnail History:

A single burgage plot (quit rent 4d) owned in the mid 18th century by Abiam Tubb (cutler, mealman and moneylender). Passed on his death in 1777 to his nephew Thomas Tubb (wheelwright and carpenter) and then to John Fox (schoolmaster) and through other family members until sold to Joseph Buckeridge in 1846.

Description of property:

Photo Gallery:

img_0483
img_0483 img_0483
uhs-097
uhs-097 uhs-097
p3030918
p3030918 p3030918

- 97-98 High Street, Mar 2010

- High Street, c1905

- 97-98 High Street, Feb 2007

Timeline:

1609 (NH) ?Chantry

? (NH) Elizabeth Noyes

<1754 (NH) Edward Scarlett
1753 (NH – QR) Edward Scarlett, late Noye's, q.r. 4d.

1754 (NH) Abiam Tubb purchased property from Edward Scarlett.
1753-61 (QR) Entry missing?
1774-1790 (QR)Entry missing?
1777 (NH) Abiam Tubb (cutler, mealman and moneylender) bequeathed 5 sets of properties in Hungerford and Charnham Street. One set of two tenements "near the town pond" was left to his nephew Thomas Tubb (wheelwright and carpenter).

The town pond was in the High Street and opposite or nearly opposite to the present day no. 43HS. These two tenements were on the east side and may be identified as nos. 97 and 98HS, the Devonia Bakery and an adjacent cottage with an overhead flat. These two premises (97 & 98 HS) have a single roof line. (See Sun Fire Insurance vol 267 (1778)). With the tenements were outhouses, garden ground and the right of 4 cow commons (*3). The reference to common rights for 4 cows suggests that the tenements rated as one burgage and therefore represented originally a single building.
According to the answer of the defendants in the Chancery case begun in 1858 (Dean v. Wentworth) these two dwellings had formerly been 1 messuage with backside, gardens and Common rights for four cows or 2 horses. It had formerly been in the possession of Elizabeth Noyes widow and had been purchased by Abiam Tubb from Edward Scarlett in 1754. This earlier ancestory of the house coincides with the 1753 QRR entry – viz. "Edward Scarlett, late Noyes', 4d". There is a gap of nearly 80 years between this and the QRR of 1676, where neither the name of Noyes nor Scarlett appears. It is therefore not possible to be absolutely certain of the site in earlier records, but it seems likely to have been the site of a building owned in 1609 and earlier by the former Chantry.

Click here to see the Chancery Bill of Complaint Dean v Wentworth.

1778 (NH) Fire Insurance: Thomas Tubb for "two tenements in one building, in tenure of himself and others", with a thatched roof. Thomas Tubb, who was a wheelwright (that is a maker or repairer of wooden wheels (*8) and later described as a carpenter, lived in Hungerford until at least 1783, in which year one of his daughters died, and was buried there. He then seems to have moved, first to Tidworth, Wilts., then to Newbury.

1781 (CL#66) Thomas Tubb / Sheppard

1795-1804 (QR) John Fox for house late Abiam Tubb's, q.r. 4d.
1805-17 (QR) John Fox for house late Abiam Tubb's, amended to James Fox, q.r. 4d.
1807 (NH) Thomas Tubb let property to John Fox, a schoolmaster at Hungerford who used and occupied the two tenements as a school. Thomas Tubb on his deathbed entrusted John Fox with the charge of his widow, Mary. [In a court case which developed many years later (1807) concerning the descent of the property, it was stated by the plaintiffs (*9) that "Thomas Tubb carried on the trade of carpenter in humble circumstances and was of irregular habits and wholly illiterate and his wife was a person of weak mind. After his marriage (in 1778 to Mary Kent) (*10), he resided at Newbury where he died." This was in 1807. "Thomas Tubb after coming into possession of the two tenements and apputenances with the four cow commons let them to one John Fox, a schoolmaster at Hungerford who used and occupied the two tenements as a school, and Thomas Tubb on his deathbed entrusted John Fox with the charge of his widow, Mary."

John Fox took in Mary to live in the two tenement buildings for about 2 years, but he then ceased to maintain her and turned her out of the premises; being "of weak mind, she wandered destitute", before she lived for a short time with Sarah Barrett and Hannah Wright before being placed in the workhouse for 2 or 3 years where she died. A joint affidavit signed by Sarah Barrett and Hannah Wright stated that they, in the lifetimes of their husbands, gave Mary shelter "each for such space of time as we could afford.", and that afterwards she was placed in the workhouse for 2 or 3 years (*12). ]

In the court case, Fox claimed he had purchased the property from Thomas Tubb in 1784 for £90. (Deenery Trin. Term 1784, lease and release 2/3 June 1784). Meanwhile John Tubb had mortgaged his life estate and interest in the two tenements, left to him, and the three acres+, near Hagges Path to John Pierce for £50. On the death of John Pierce the mortgage devolved on his son Stephen Pierce during the life of John Tubb. As the plaintiff claimed that John had sold merely his life interest, the property should have descended on John's death without issue to Thomas Tubb and his heairs. Fox claimed that John had in fact sold the property to Pierce. The three acres+ were "assumed" from John Fox by Thomas Lanfear, at whose death the lands were "assumed" by his son and executor, Thomas Lanfear junior.

After disposing of his estate, John Tubb left Hungerford and never returned, dying without issue at some date before his brother Thomas (died 1807).

John Fox died 1817, and was succeeded by his son James Fox, who died in 1832, leaving the property to his widow Sarah Fox. Sarah Fox married again, to John Wentworth (in 1833). In 1846 John and Sarah Wentworth sold the property inherited by Thomas ("near the pond") to Joseph Buckeridge.

1817 (NH) John Fox died in 1817, and his son James Fox continued in posession of the property, dying in 1832.

1818-23 (QR) James Fox for house late Abiam Tubb's, q.r. 4d.

1832 (NH) James Fox died. At his death, James Fox II left a widow Sarah and appointed as his executor John Wentworth. Widow Sarah Fox and John Wentworth married in the following year (1833) and retained the property until 1846 when they sold it to Joseph Buckeridge (*14), in whose ownership they were occupied in 1848 and in 1859 by Oliver Gibbs and Robert Bunce (*15). In 1861 C.L. Joseph Buckeridge is given as owner, Oliver Gibbs deleted, and ..?.. Berwick substituted, and Robert Bunce as tenants. John Fox occupies the neighbouring no. 96.

1832-1836 (QR) John Fox for house late James Fox, q.r. 4d.

No. 97 High Street:

1847 (CL) Joseph Buckeridge (own); Oliver Gibbs (occ)
1861 (CL) Joseph Buckeridge (own); Oliver Gibbs (deleted) Borwick (occ)

1896 (CL) ?Rebecca Buckeridge (own); Anthony Bowsher (occ)
1902 (T&M register) Rebecca Buckeridge (owner until ?1926)
1903 (T&M Register) Anthony Bowsher (occupier until 1907)

1908 (T&M Register) Henry Crossley (occupier until ?1926)

1905-10 (*1) "Esso" New, tailor

1914 (CL) George Winterbourne (own)

1927 (T&M Register) Dr Guy Wood (owner & occupier until ?1938)
c.1932 (QR #33, with 98 HS) Dr. G. Wood "House formerly A. Tubb's afterwards Jas. Fox's then Joseph Buckeridge", q.r. 2d.
1939 (Blacket's) Dr Guy Wood
1939 (T&M Register) Mrs M D Wood (owner & occupier)

1947 (CL) Margaret D. Wood

1952-1956 (CL) Timothy Campbell Wood

1963 (CL) Void

1963 Jefferies bakery opened.
1968 (T&M Register) Thomas Isaac Jefferies, Rose Emily Jefferies, Henry Thomas Jeferies (owners until 1971)
1968-1970 (T&M Register & CL) Anthony Scarlett
1972 (T&M Register) Rose Emily Jefferies, Henry Thomas Jeferies (owners until 1979)
1976 (CL) Void

1980 (T&M Register) Jayborth Properties Ltd (owners)
1983 (CL) Void
1984 (CL) Void
1985 (CL) Void
1993 T. Jefferies & Son, Devonia Bakery.

Jun 1994 Jefferies bakery closed. See "Town bakery to close", NWN Jun 1994

2000 (CL) Ellie Wendy Felicity Dickins
2005 (CL) Ellie Wendy Felicity Dickins

Jun 2007 Ellie Dickins opens "Diddy Dickins" - children's shoes and clothing (men's shoes now with womens' at 47 HS)

Jun 2009 Supernova Cycle Shop (www.supernovacycles.co.uk)

Feb 2011 Ellie Dickins Shoes re-opened here, moved back from 47 High Street
2011 (CL) Ellie Wendy Felicity Dickins
2016 (CL) Ellie Wendy Felicity Dickins

No. 98 High Street:

1847 (CL) Joseph Buckeridge (own); Bunce (occ)

1851 (CS) Robert Bunce (47), journeyman miller.

1861 (CL) Joseph Buckeridge (own); Robert Bunce (occ)

1896 (CL) Rebecca Buckeridge (own); George Winterbourne (occ)
1902 (T&M register) Rebecca Buckeridge (owner until ?1926)
1903 (T&M Register) George Winterbourne (occupier until ?1922)

1914 (CL) George Winterbourne (own); Henry Crossley (occ)

1923 (T&M Register) Elizabeth Winterbourne (occupier until ?1926)

Undated ?1927 (T&M Register) Henry Crossley (owner & occupier until ?1942)

c.1932 (QR #33, with 97 HS) Mr. H. Crossley "House formerly A. Tubb's afterwards Jas. Fox's then Joseph Buckeridge", q.r. 2d.

1939 (Blacket's) 98: H. Crossley

1943 (T&M Register) Mrs Lilian Frances Crossley (owner & occupier)

Undated (T&M Register) H D Roberts - ?not qualified - non-resident

1947-1976 (CL) Mrs Lilian Frances Crossley
Undated (T&M Register) Mrs Lilian Frances Crossley (owner & occupier until 1979)

1980 (T&M Register) Jayborth Properties Ltd (owners)

1983 (CL) Diana Elizabeth Lawson
1984 (CL) Diana Elizabeth Lawson
1985 (CL) Diana Elizabeth Lawson

2000 (CL) Trevor Laurence Masters

2005 (CL) Void
2011 (CL) Void

2016 (CL) Melville Soles

From Norman Hidden's papers:

In 1777 Abiam Tubb, cutler, mealman and moneylender, bequeathed no less than 5 sets of property in Hungerford and Charnham Street. One such set consisted of two tenements "near the town pond", which he left to his nephew Thomas (*1). The town pond was in the High Street, and opposite or nearly opposite to the present day building no. 43 HS on the west side (*2). With the tenements were outhouses, garden ground and the right of 4 cow commons (*3). The reference to common rights for 4 cows suggests that the tenements rated as one burgage and therefore represented originally a single building.

This supposition is confirmed explicitely by the fire insurance policy taken out by Thomas Tubb in respect of the property in 1778 (*4). In this it is described as "two tenements in one building, in tenure of himself and others", with a thatched roof. Today these two tenements may be identified as nos. 97 and 98 High Street (the Devonia bakery and an adjacent cottage with an overhead flat). The two premises have a single roof line.

Thomas Tubb, who was a wheelwright (that is a maker or repairer of wooden wheels (*8) and later described as a carpenter, lived in Hungerford until at least 1783, in which year one of his daughters died, and was buried there. He then seems to have moved, first to Tidworth, Wilts., then to Newbury.

In a court case which developed many years later concerning the descent of the property, it was stated by the plaintiffs (*9) that "Thomas Tubb carried on the trade of carpenter in humble circumstances and was of irregular habits and wholly illiterate and his wife was a person of weak mind. After his marriage (in 1778 to Mary Kent) (*10), he resided at Newbury where he died." This was in 1807. "Thomas Tubb after coming into possession of the two tenements and apputenances with the four cow commons let them to one John Fox, a schoolmaster at Hungerford who used and occupied the two tenements as a school, and Thomas Tubb on his deathbed entrusted John Fox with the charge of his widow, Mary."

John Fox took in widow Mary Tubb to live in the two tenement buildings, but after "a few years" ceased to maintain her and turned her out of the premises "and she being of weak mind wandered destitute until she was placed in the workhouse at Hungerford where she died (*11)". A joint affidavit signed by Sarah Barrett and Hannah Wright stated that they, in the lifetimes of their husbands, gave Mary shelter "each for such space of time as we could afford.", and thatt afterwards she was placed in the workhouse for 2 or 3 years (*12).

John Fox, who carried on as schoolmaster, died in 1817, and his son continued in posession of the property, dying in 1832. At his death, James Fox II left a widow Sarah and appointed as his executor John Wentworth. Widow Sarah and John Wentworth intermarried in the following year (1833) and retained the property until 1846 when they sold it to Joseph Buckeridge (*14), in whose ownership they were occupied in 1848 and in 1859 by Oliver Gibbs and Robert Bunce (*15). In 1861 C.L. Joseph Buckeridge is given as owner, Oliver Gibbs deleted, and ..?.. Berwick substituted, and Robert Bunce as tenants. John Fox occupies the neighbouring no. 96.

From the Buckeridge family the property passed to be occupied c. 1920 by Drs. H. Crossley and G. Wood.

The earlier history of the property, before its acquisition by Abiam Tubb may be summarised as follows: [see final paragraph of Abiam Tubb's properties in Hungerford]

==============

Abiam Tubb II (born 1702) had a brother William (born 1714). Brother William had six children – John (b. 1743); William (b.1746); Thomas (b. 1750); Elizabeth (b. 1751); George (b. 1759) and Sarah (b. 17??). He died in 1786.

Of these, John was born before William's marriage to his mother Sarah Baggs (or Banks). He died "many years ago" (1858) and left no issue.

Thomas was married in 1778 to Mary Kent and had a daughter, Lucy or Louisa, born 1784. He died 1807, leaving his wife and a daughter Lucy, no other child surviving. Thomas was a carpenter and in 1784 was resident in Tidworth, Wilts. Later he lived in Newbury and died there in 1807. He was said to have been in humble circumstances, of irregular habits, and illiterate; his wife a person of weak mind.

Lucy left home at an early age and went into service in London. She married John Rew either in 1800 or 1808 and died in 1833, leaving a daughter Jane Patrick Rew (born 1820), who lived in London. Jane Patrick marriewd Henry Dean in 1838, later plaintiff in the suit Dean v. Wentworth.

When Thomas Tubb came into the property inherited from his uncle Abiam (nos 96, 97 amd 98HS), he let the two tenements to John Fox, schoolmaster, who used the two tenements as a school; and on his death bed Thomas entrusted Fox with care of his widow, the weak-minded Mary, to be paid for out of the rents and profits both of the property which he had inherited direct from his uncle's will and from the property devised in the same will to his brother John but which was to pass to Thomas in the event of the death of John without lawful issue, which was indeed the case.

John Fox took in Mary for about 2 years, but he then turned her out; she lived with Sarah Barrett and Hannah Wright and afterwards in the workhouse for 2 or 3 years whenr she died.

Fox claimed he purchased the property from Thomas Tubb in 1784 for £90. (Deenery Trin. Term 1784, lease and release 2/3 June 1784).

Meanwhile John Tubb had mortgaged his life estate and interest in the two tenements, left to him, and the three acres+, near Hagges Path to John Pierce for £50. On the death of John Pierce the mortgage devolved on his son Stephen Pierce during the life of John Tubb. As the plaintiff claimed that John had sold merely his life interest, the property should have descended on John's death without issue to Thomas Tubb and his heairs. Fox claimed that John had in fact sold the property to Pierce.

The three acres+ were "assumed" from John Fox by Thomas Lanfear, at whose death the lands were "assumed" by his son and executor, Thomas Lanfear junior.

After disposing of his estate, John Tubb left Hungerford and never returned, dying without issue at some date before his brother Thomas (died 1807).

John Fox died 1817, and was succeeded by his son James Fox, who died in 1832, leaving the property to his widow Sarah Fox. Sarah Fox married again, to John Wentworth (in 1833). In 1846 John and Sarah Wentworth sold the property inherited by Thomas ("near the pond") to Joseph Buckeridge.

====================

Abiam Tubb's Property in Hungerford:

In his will dated 1777 Abiam Tubb refers to 5 different sets of property.

His own residence, present-day 131/2 HS, which he left to his nephew John Tubb. This was in two tenements, one occupied by himself, and the other by William Alexander.

Two tenements "near the town pond" which he left to his nephew Thomas. The town pond was in the High Street and opposite or nearly opposite to the present day no. 43HS. These two tenements were on the east side and may be identified as nos. 97 and 98HS, the Devonia Bakery and an adjacent cottage with an overhead flat. The two premises have a single roof line. (See Sun Fire Insurance vol 267 (1778)). According to the answer of the defendants in the Chancery case begun in 1858 (Dean v. Wentworth) these two dwellings had formerly been 1 messuage with backside, gardens and Common rights for four cows or 2 horses. It had formerly been in the possession of Elizabeth Noyes widow and had been purchased by Abiam Tubb from Edward Scarlett in 1754. This earlier ancestory of the house coincides with the 1753 QRR entry – viz. "Edward Scarlett, late Noyes', 4d". There is a gap of nearly 80 years between this and the QRR of 1676, where neither the name of Noyes nor Scarlett appears. It is therefore not possible to be absolutely certain of the site in earlier records, but it seems likely to have been the site of a building owned in 1609 and earlier by the former Chantry.

4 tenements left to Elizabeth Naxton (Knackstone), his niece. These also were on the east side, between present-day nos. 97/98HS and the Borough Arms (no. 77HS), possibly 84/86HS?. (See Sun Fire Insurance vol 267 (1778))

Another 4 tenements "at the upper end of the town", left to Elizabeth Maishel, his housekeeper and kinswoman. These would seem to be the group of cottages now numbered 66, 67, 68 and 69HS, but, as with property (3) above, there is not absolute certainty owing to the confused state of the town records relating to this area.

2 tenements and land in Charnham Street purchased from widow Coxhead.

===========

Further notes on 97/98HS – Item 2 in "Abiam Tubb's Property in Hungerford" (see above):

c.1920 QRR has Abiam Tubb Fox Buckeridge, then c.1920 occupied by Dr H. Crossley and Dr. G. Wood. Today 97/8 = Devonia Bakery and cottage.

1777 2 tenements near the town pond. Edward Shepherd lives in one, and Maty Wells and her sisters in the other.

1781 CL has Thomas Tubb

1777 CL has William Tubb and (added) Mary Wells as freesuitors

1796 Berks Poll Book: John Fox of Oakhill had a vote in Hungerford based on his ownership of property occupied by Bulpit and others.

===========

See photocopy of the Dean v. Wentworth case.

Henry Dean and Jane Patrick his wife, plaintiffs, v. John Wentworth and his wife Sarah, Joseph Buckeridge and Thomas Lanfear, defendants. 29 Nov 1858 (29 Victoria).

In their Answer the defendants claim that Abiam Tubb was the owner of 2 houses or tenements which were formerly 1 messuage burgage or tenement, with backside, gardens and common rights for 4 cows or 2 horses, formerly in possession of Elizabeth Noyes, widow, and afterwards in the tenure of Thomas Cannon and Joseph Rosier.

[Joseph Rosier 1699-1757?, son of Robert Rosier (d. 1730), inherited by his father's will dated 1730 one half of a dwelling house "adjacent to the house of John Siney". Joseph's sister Elizabeth Rosier married Thomas Cannon.]

The property held by Thomas Cannon and Joseph Rosier, and subsequently by Edward Sheppard and James Deike, and recently by Oliver Gibbs and Bunce, was purchased by Abiam Tubb from Edward Scarlett in 1754.

See also:

- Chancery Bill of Complaint Dean v Wentworth, 1858