You are in [Places] [High Street Properties] [70-73 High Street]
[-->67-69 High Street] [-->74-76 High Street]

Caveat:

The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the east side of High Street (modern numbers 66-93) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.

Summary:

Earliest information: 1703 (maybe 1609)
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (for 73 HS) (Previous frontage 11ft; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building: 1968
Listed? No

Thumbnail History:

This area was redeveloped 1968 into the High Street part of Fairfields sheltered housing. The quit rent of 4d enables us to identify ownership and occupancy back to 1703, and possibly to 1609.

Description of property:

Redeveloped c.1970 into the High Street part of Fairfields sheltered housing.

Photo Gallery:

p3030906
p3030906 p3030906
uhs-099
uhs-099 uhs-099
74-76 high stre...
74-76 high street - archeological dig 2006 74-76 high street - archeological dig 2006

- 70-73 High Street, Feb 2007

- Upper High Street c1905 showing 67-69 High Street on the left

- Archeological dig behind 70-76 High Street, NWN 23.3.2006

Timeline:

1609 (NH) Sexton & Lewenden
- (NH) Lewis
- (NH) Noyse

1703 (NH) Edmund Noyse pays Poor Rate for 3 houses. Appears to correspond with 1753 QR "late Noyes".

1753-61 (QR) Edward Scarlet for his house late Noye's, q.r. 4d.

1774 (NH-QR) John Knackston and Elizabeth Neale, and for his other house;

1777 (NH) In 1777 Abiam Tubb, cutler, mealman and moneylender, bequeathed no less than 5 sets of property in Hungerford and Charnham Street.
- One such set consisted of two tenements "near the town pond", which he left to his nephew Thomas (probably present-day 97-98 HS),
- His own residence, present-day 131/2 HS, which he left to his nephew John Tubb. This was in two tenements, one occupied by himself, and the other by William Alexander.
- 4 tenements left to Elizabeth Naxton (Knackstone), his niece. These also were on the east side, between present-day nos. 97/98HS and the Borough Arms (no. 77 HS), possibly 84/86HS?. (See Sun Fire Insurance vol 267 (1778)),
- Another 4 tenements "at the upper end of the town", left to Elizabeth Maishel, his housekeeper and kinswoman. These would seem to be the group of cottages now numbered 66, 67, 68 and 69HS, but, as with property (3) above, there is not absolute certainty owing to the confused state of the town records relating to this area.
- 2 tenements and land in Charnham Street purchased from widow Coxhead.
^ top ^
9.9.1777 (NH) Abiam Tubb left to his kinswoman and farmer housekeeper Elizabeth Maishel (or Marshall?) a block of four tenements at the upper end of the town.
- Jonathan Barnett was living in one,
- Henry Deadmarsh in another,
- Mary Barnett in a third, and
- Edward Hollister "in the uppermost tenement".

1777 (NH) Elizabeth Marshall of Hungerford married William Neal of Blewsbury.

1779 (NH) Abiam Tubb left in his will 4 tenements to his niece Elizabeth Naxton (Knackstone) [the daughter of Abiam's brother John Tubb]. These tenements said to be next to a house of Jane Betteridge.

1781 (CL) John Knackstone

1795-1804 (QR) John Knackstone and Elizabeth Neale for acre late Abiam Tubb's, q.r. 4d.

1805-17 (QR) John Knackstone & Elizabeth Neale for house late Abiam Tubb's, amended to John Willes, Esq., q.r. 4d.

1818-23 (QR) John Willes, Esq for house late Abiam Tubb, q.r. 4d.
1832 (QR) John Willes Esqr for house late Abiam Tubb's, q.r. 4d.
1836 (QR) John Willes Esq'r, for house late Abiam Tubb's, q.r. 4d.

1847 (CL) George Willes (own); Thomas Hamblin and another (occ)
1861 (CL) George Willes (own); Thomas Hamblin deleted John Cox (occ)

1896 (CL) Thomas Phelps (own); Peter Hirons (occ)
1914 (CL) Thomas Phelps (own); Thomas Tettrell Phelps (occ)

1932 (QR) Mr Phelps, "House formerly Abiam Tubbs then G. Willes Esq.", q.r. 4d.

1939 (Blacket's) 70: C. Mundy
- 71: E.J. Pizzey
- 72: Mrs E. Offer
- 73: E.S. Tucker

73 High Street:

1902 (T&M Register) Thomas Phelps (owner until ?1967)
1903 (T&M Register) Peter Hirons (occupier until ?1905)
1906 (T&M Register) Thomas Tettrell Phelps (occupier)

1914 (CL) Thomas Phelps (own); Thomas Tettrell Phelps (occ)

1932 (QR) Mr Phelps, "House formerly Abiam Tubbs then G. Willes Esq.", q.r. 4d.

1939 (Blacket's) 70: C. Mundy
- 71: E.J. Pizzey
- 72: Mrs E. Offer
- 73: E.S. Tucker

Undated (T&M Register) E S Tucker (occupier until ?1967)

1947-1956 (CL) Mrs E.S. Tucker

1963 (CL) Anthony Roland Tucker

1968 (CL) Void
1968 Fairfields and High Street properties redeveloped by council for warden-supervised sheltered accomodation
1968 (T&M Register) Hungerford Rural District Council (owners until ?1972)

1970 (CL) Void

1974 (T&M Register) Newbury District Council (owners)

1975 (T&M Register) Percy New (occupier until 1976)
1976 (CL) Percy New (deleted) Void
1977 (T&M Register) Lilian May New (occupier)

1983 (CL) Void

1984 (CL) Harold Frank North

1985 (CL) Void

2000 (CL) Kathleen O'Connor
2005 (CL) Kathleen O'Connor

2011 (CL) Void
2016 (CL) Void