The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the east side of High Street (modern numbers 66-93) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Earliest information: c.1461
Original estate: Hungerford Engleford
Common Rights? Yes (for 68 HS) (Frontage 12ft; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building:
The history of the land at the most southerly part of the east side of the High Street) is known from <1461. There is a gap in knowledge between 1686 and 1753, and in 1774 it appears to have become split into smaller properties.
Description of property:
A terrace of three properties, now 67, 68, and 69 High Street.
- 67-69 High Street, Mar 2007
- Upper High Street c1905 showing 67-69 High Street on the left
- Current joint owner of 68 High Street Wallis Lavery showing the restored well mentioned prominently in the deeds as the communal well, Feb 2013. Tim Allen has cleared the well down to 27' and not yet hit the water table!
<1461 (NH) Walter, Lord Hungerford
c.1470 (NH) Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later King Richard III) who had acquired it on the attainder of Walter Lord Hungerford in 1461, and before it had belonged to William King.
1522 (NH) John Venner
Mar 1524/5 (NH - SC2/208/69) It was presented that the tenement of John Vynner (als Venner) was ruinous "in bridying in tectur & in tegulator".
Sept 1528 (NH - SC2/208/75) His tenement was again reported as 'ruinous'.
Between 1522-52 (NH) Robert Veyne
1552 (NH - DL 42/108) In 1552 this property is shown as part of the Hungerford Ingleford manor estate. It was then in the tenure of Robert Woodford and at some date before
that in the tenure of Robert Veyne. A John Venner is taxed as a 'king's tenant" in the 1522 muster (i.e. not a freeholder).
1573 (NH - Parish Register) Robert Woodford is shown as tenant still in 1573, but he died shortly after and was buried in March 1574 (new style). An Elizabeth Woodford widow was buried in 1587; and a Jane Woodford, who may have been a daughter of Robert, in 1585 married George Borowghe who was at that time servant to Mr. Thomas
Goddard (gent, of Standen Hussey). George Borowghe (or Burrowe Barrowe) as he is more commonly called acquired a copyhold tenure of the property in the right of his wife. She had had a copyhold granted to her in or about 1573 for her life, presumably on or in view of the impending death of her father, and was holding this in 1583.
1592-97 (NH) During the period 1592-7, for which court rolls are available, George Burrowe pays homage as a customary tenant. A court instruction to him in 1594 to erect a
chimney or "flewe" over his fireplace reveals that the house or part of it is occupied by Augustina Gibbs, widow. In Oct 1597, however, he still had not carried out the
instruction and he was deemed to have forfeited his tenancy. Augustina Gibbs was still occupying a separate dwelling within the house. The forfeiture is unlikely to have
been executed, for Burrowe was near to death, being buried 3 November 1598.
George Burrowe may have been going through hard times, for in 1597 he is one of two parishioners presented by the Churchwardens for non-payment of his contribution to the clerk's wages, "being but iiij d. apiece yearly." In 1601 Jane Barrowe widow is similarly presented for non-payment of a tax "towards reparation of the church and the bells. On the other hand, non payment may have represented a form of anti-clericalism or non-conformity.
1598 (NH) In that year (1598), a reversion of the premises (upon the future death of Jane Burrowe) was granted to Robert Gibbs and his sister Jane.
1609 (NH) In 1609 when this reversion is recorded Jane Barrowe, as she is called, was said at that time to be aged 60, Robert Gibbs aged 40 and Jane Gibbs aged 32. The Parish Register gives Jane Gibbs as baptised 31 March 1578, daughter of Awsten (Augustine) Gibbes. A record of the baptism of her brother Robert does not exist. (in 1610 he married Alice Tyllie). Austen Gibbs married Jane Woodford in 1564; he had sons Thomas (1568), John (1573) as well as daughter Jane (1578) (m. Edward Smith 1602).
He was a weaver by trade & he had a son Awsten d.1582; he himself died in 1592.
1626 (NH) Jane Barrowe died in 1626, and the long awaited reversion of the property granted in 1598 to Robert Gibbs & his sister Jane now took effect. By this time Jane
Gibbs had married Edward Smith (1602) who died in Feb 1632/3. Robert lived in the property and he and Jane continued to hold their right to the (WRO 490/1530)
property, still paying a quit rent of 5d. and an annual rent of 8 shillings.
1633 (NH) In March 1633 (WRO 490/1541) & October also Robert is not present at the court baron & at the latter court baron it is reported that "Robert Gibbs & Jane Smith widow have surrended a cottage with curtilage and 1 acre of land now in the occupation of Robert Gibbs," whereupon "John Mayle came and took the same cottage and all the above premises for himself and his son Francis for their lives."
1634 (NH) At the next court baron (WRO 490/1541) in April 1634 John Mayle was allocated 2 elm trees from the limited stock which grew on the manor in order that he might repair his tenement. He obviously had not done so by 30 September that year, for the court baron of that date repeats the allocation and the purpose for which it was intended.
The court rolls continue (without further reference to this property) until 1640, when John Mayle is still one of those paying homage.
1642 (NH) John Mayle died in 1642 and the lease passed to his son Francis, who is in possession when the extant court rolls resume in 1650. His wife Elizabeth died (Parish Register) in the following year, almost certainly in childbirth. He apparently remarried; there is no record of this in the local parish register, but a court, roll for 1658 mentions his wife Edith and at the same time grants him permission to let his "customary cottage" etc. (i.e. the cottage of which he was a customary tenant) to "any honest person of Hungerford ... for eight years." In fact he did not survive for 8 years, dying in 1661. He was present at the court baron on 29th March of that year and died about a fortnight later. At the Michaelmas court his widow Edith was admitted to the court in his place. She was a regular attender at court barons until the records cease in 1675. In that year it was reported that her house was "in disrepair". She appears in the Hocktide Court list of commoners in 1680, but there is no record in the parish register of her death or funeral, nor of a re-marriage.
Thus in about 150 years or so those who held the property by copyhold amounted to no more than 3 families - the Venners, the Woodford - Burrowe - Gibbs family, and the
Mailes. After widow Edith Maile in 1680 the records fail us & the trail goes cold.
1686 (NH) By Quit Rent 5d in 1686, it would seem to have been occupied then by Thomas Hall (?Ball). Check BRO H/F FR/1). This is the last record in the QRR of a quit rent of 5d in this location.
1753-61 (QR) Edward Scarlet for … four acres of Thorn Land, q.r. 11d.
1774 (NH) This was split by 1774 into two portions: 3 acres @ 8d, and 2 acres @ 2½d. The 2½d part represents this burgage plot.
1774 and '75 (NH – Court Leet) It was presented that there were 2 heaps of rubbish and 2 gutters (defective?) at the fronts of Abiam Tubb's houses at the upper end of the
town. This may relate to this property.
1777 (NH) In 1777 Abiam Tubb, cutler, mealman and moneylender, bequeathed no less than 5 sets of property in Hungerford and Charnham Street:
- One such set consisted of two tenements "near the town pond", which he left to his nephew Thomas (probably present-day 97-98 HS),
- is own residence, present-day 131/132 HS, which he left to his nephew John Tubb. This was in two tenements, one occupied by himself, and the other by William Alexander.
- 4 tenements left to Elizabeth Naxton (Knackstone), his niece. These also were on the east side, between present-day nos. 97/98HS and the Borough Arms (no. 77 HS),
possibly 84/86HS?. (See Sun Fire Insurance vol 267 (1778)),
- Another 4 tenements "at the upper end of the town", left to Elizabeth Maishel, his housekeeper and kinswoman. These would seem to be the group of cottages now numbered 66, 67, 68 and 69HS, but, as with property (3) above, there is not absolute certainty owing to the confused state of the town records relating to this area.
- 2 tenements and land in Charnham Street purchased from widow Coxhead.
9.9.1777 (NH) Abiam Tubb, cutler, mealman and moneylender, left to his kinswoman and former housekeeper Elizabeth Maishel (or Marshall?) a block of four tenements at the upper end of the town.
- Jonathan Barnett was living in one,
- Henry Deadmarsh in another,
- Mary Barnett in a third, and
- Edward Hollister "in the uppermost tenement".
1777 (NH) Elizabeth Marshall of Hungerford married William Neal of Blewsbury.
1777 (NH-HCB) Abiam Tubb deleted, William Neal and John Naxton.
1774-1790 (QR) Elizabeth (deleted) Neale (daughter of Abiam Tubb) one acre of land late Thornland, q.r. 2½d.
1781 (CL) William Neale
1795-1804 (QR) Elizabeth Neale for one acre of land late Thorns, q.r. 2½d.
1805-17 (QR) Elizabeth Neale for one acre of land late Thorns, q.r. 2½d.
1807 (QR) William Neale, q.r. 2d.
1818-23 (QR) Elizabeth Neale for one acre of land late Thorns, q.r. 2d.
1819 (EA) Neale (in the most southerly plot on the east side)
1832 (QR) Elizabeth Neale, for one acre of land late Thorns, q.r. 2¾d.
1836 (QR) Elizabeth Neale, for one acre of land late Harris', q.r. 2¾d.
1847 (CL) Heir of Joseph Neale (own); Widow Neale (occ)
1861 (CL) Misses Neale
1896 (CL) Joseph Edward Neale
1903 (Deeds) Probable date when four cottages were split into separate ownership
- One cottage (now 67 HS) occupied by William Gunter
- Two cottages (now 68 HS, including Common Rights) occupied by Joseph Edward Neale
- One cottage (now 69 HS) occupied by William Buxey. This cottage had the well which was jointly used by all four cottages.
67 High Street:
1903 (Deeds) Occupied by William Gunter
1921 (Deeds) Conveyance from Joseph Neale to George Neale
1933 (Deeds) William Gunter, tenant.
1939 (Blacket's) Mrs E. Gunter
1952 (Deeds) Conveyance from George Neale (Painter and Decorator) to Leslie Cummins (of Mount Pleasant, Kintbury, labourer) for £400.
1955 (Deeds) Conveyance from Leslie Cummins to Mrs Ida Smith (of "Pinehurst", Newtown, Shalbourne) for £875.
1979 (Deeds) Conveyance from Mrs Ida Smith to Colin Williams (of 13b High Street) for £14,000.
1989 (Deeds) Transfer from Sarah Duguid to Andrew Rogers (electrician) and Helen Relf (nursery nurse) for £74,500.
2000 (Deeds) Bought by Helen Smith.
2007 (Deeds) Helen Smith
68 High Street:
1902 (T&M Register) Joseph Edward Neale (owner)
1903 (T&M Register) Joseph edward Neale (occupier until ?1933)
1903 (Deeds) Two cottages (now 68 HS, including Common Rights) occupied by Joseph Edward Neale. This cottage had the well which was jointly used by all four cottages.
1914 (CL) Joseph Edward Neale
Undated (?1921) (T&M Register) George Edward Neale (owner)
1932 (QR #45) Mr. J. Neale, for "illegible text", q.r. 2¾d.
1934 (T&M Register) Victor Leslie Whant (occupier)
1936 (T&M Register) William Lewington (occupier until ?1967)
1939 (Blacket's) W. Lewington
1947-1956 (CL) William Lewington
1959 The Church Diary includes an advert for CH & W Lewington, Haulage Contractors, wood and coal merchants, operating from 68 High Street, Tel 77.
1963-1970 (CL) Edith Lewington
1968 (T&M Register) Edith Lewington (occupier)
1974 (T&M Register) Mrs Elsie Neale (owner)
1976 (CL) Void (deleted) Arthur John Wood
1976 (T&M Register) Arthur John Wood (occupier)
1983 (CL) Grace Wood
1984 (CL) Grace Wood
1985 (CL) Grace Wood
2000 (CL) John Stuart Holdstock
2005 (CL) Jennifer Ann Holdstock
2007 (Deeds) Mrs Holdstock
2009 Bought by Tim Allen
2011 (CL) Tim Allen
2013 Wallis Lavery (who kindly contacted the Virtual Museum in Feb 2013 to add "Last year we uncovered a well in our garden. It had been hidden under a substantial amount of soil and concrete steps. We have, since uncovering it, been trying to reach the bottom, we have dug out all sorts of bottles and old fish paste jars, beneath this was coal ash which we can only imagine had been poured into the well over the years until the coal fires were no longer used. We are at around 27 feet in depth at the moment and yet to reach the water table. I just thought you might like to know as I see it is mentioned in the archives against 68 High Street along with outside privy and bakehouse.")
2016 (CL) Tim Allen
69 High Street:
1903 (Deeds) Joseph Neale (owner), William Buxey (occupier).
1921 (Deeds) Joseph Neale (owner), Occupied by Arthur Harry Hobbs.
1921 (Deeds) Passed to George Henry Neale, plumber, painter, house decorator.
1939 (Blacket's) C. Huntley
1969 (Deeds) Roy and Marion Newcombe
- Norman Hidden's notes on 67-69 High Street
- Notes from deeds of 67-69 High Street