The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the west side of High Street (modern numbers 45-65) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Earliest information: ?17th century
Common Rights? No
Date of current building: 1851
Description of property:
- 55-57 High Street, Feb 2007
- 55-57 High Street, c1908
- Tutti-men outside 55-57 High Street, (from Morning Post, 11 Apr 1934)
- Plan showing property sold by Isaac & Lucy Nock to Edwin Buxcey for £360, 20 Feb 1874
The three timber-framed cottages shown in the Photo Gallery appear to date from the 17th or 18th century. Certainly they were not built by the time of the 1612-17 feoffment, and they do not attract Common Rights. They were rebuilt c1950.
1851 (CS) 55: ?Thomas Bennett (67), labourer
56: ?Richard Smith (57), farm labourer.
57: ?Thomas Wakefield (46), farm labourer.
1851 (CS) 55: ?Thomas Bennett
56: ?Richard Smith
57: ?Thomas Wakefield
1861 (CS) 55: ?Thomas Bennett
56: ?Charles Lambourn
57: ?Richard Barnard
1871 (CS): 55 ?Sarah Field
56: ?Alfred Rosier
57: ?Mary Rosier
<1873: Isaac and Lucy Nock (owner).
15 Dec 1873: (DD) Isaac Nock (of Hungerford, labourer) & Lucy his wife, sold (for £360) to Edwin Buxcey (of Hungerford, carrier) 4 cottages (now 55-58 High Street), yard, barn and premises. (See plan in Photo Gallery). Current occupiers:
55: Sarah Field
56: Richard Barnard
57: Alfred Rozier
58: Mary Rozier
1881 (CS) 55: ?Sarah Field
56: ?James Wild
57: ?John Gibbs
1901 (CS) 55: ?Sarah Field
56: ?Jane Cole
57: ?Charles Hunter
20 Sep 1918: (DD) Annie Heath (wife of John Heath of Slough, gardner), George Buxcey (of Merton, Surrey, electrician) and William Buxcey (of Coventry, Commissioner) sold to John Edward Mills (of Hungerford, builder's assistant) for £250. Four cottages, gardens and outhoueses, formerly in the occupation of Harriett Buxcey deceased and others, now occupied by ..?.. Whites, Mosley, ..?.., Chapman and one unoccupied. Also the roadway, stable and pigsty behind.
20 Apr 1937: (DD): Legal Charge: J E Mills (of The Croft, Hungerford, retired builder's manager) borrowed £600 from A C Bound et al relating to "four cottages in High Street, Nos 55-58". £600. Occupied by Liddle, Martin, Wills and Culley respectively.
6 May 1937: (DD) John Edwards Mills, first entry in Land Registry for 55-58 High Street.
7 May 1923: (DD) Memorandum of deposit of Title Deeds by J E Mills to Lloyds Bank Ltd.
55: F.G. Noyce
56: S.F. Bushnell, town crier and bill poster
57: N.C. Wills
58: C. Culley
9 Feb 1954: (DD) John Edward Mills (retired builder's manager, now in Bournemouth) sold the yard and premises at rear of 57 High Street to Charles Deacon (11 Salisbury Road, Hungerford, wood merchant) for £200. 22 Dec 1962: J E Mills died 22 Dec 1962 - Probate granted to Lilian Eleanor Mills, widow. Lilian Mills died 19 Apr 1980 - Probate granted to Thomas Lewis Cox.
c.1954 Possible date of demolition of the thatched timber-framed cottages and rebuilding.
- Newton Collection - relating to 55-65 High Street, 1835-1987.